• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDO is dead!

MarauderX

Explorer
Kanegrundar said:
AMG was thinking that AspieKenM was an alt made as a sick joke, but it wasn't. I really was KenM, but now he's been permabanned, hence it's been dealt with.

As to what Ken was talking about, I wouldn't dwell on it too much. Chances are he didn't have much of a point to make.

Wow, and KenM was the only guy I had on my ENWorld ignore list. Now who shall take his place?

I am finding a lot of people have the approach of not leaving WOW because they are already there, have a guild, know some people to run quests with, and just don't want to invest in something else. It's hard to give up one MMO for another when the commitment has been made, which is probably in the best wishes of the MMO owners.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
MarauderX said:
Wow, and KenM was the only guy I had on my ENWorld ignore list. Now who shall take his place?
I wouldn't worry about it. If you look around hard enough, there are plenty of people worthy of ignoring! :D

Anand

2nd Level DM
-SIN- said:
It looks nice. Better than WoW IMO - WoW captured the LotR style colossal statues, massive waterfalls and alike, but everything came across to me a slightly cartoony. DDO looks crisp & clean. Armour looks fantastic... Better than WoW's 1980's style shoulderpads!...

The games have a really diferent graphics style, that's for sure. I really liked the characters and NPCs, and the outside views. Inside views, on the other hand, I think it is better in WoW, more polished. Sometimes the dungeons in DDO looks like the generic tiles of NwN.

-SIN- said:
Quests in DDO have 4 difficulties on average (Solo, Normal, Hard & Elite) allowing for re-playability, and each step is usually quite a significant one. Again, the quests range from quick ones that take only 2 minutes, to ones that'll keep you busy for at least an hour.

That is really good. The short solo quests are awesome when you're short of time. And (usually) more fun then the kill 10 boars WoW quests.

-SIN- said:
Combat. WoW doesn't have combat. You click a button and wait.

I have to disagree here. Maybe the generic boars and bats are like that, but the simple mobs in DDO appear very simple too to me. Inside instances of WoW, a lot of mobs and bosses require good timing, mobility, and knowing your abilities. If you want to just push a button, you can even level to 70, but you'll miss the best parts of the game.

-SIN- said:
Levelling - DDO takes a long while to level. Each level has 5 sub levels. It CAN be a long process, depending on play-style & how much time you invest. I believe WoW was easier to level in - actually I know it was.

It took me six months to level my first char in WoW to level 60, then two to 70 when the expansion come. I'm a casual player, and I play around 10-12 hours a week. You can compare the level 6 of DDO with WoW's level 6. You can level a char in WoW to level 6 in less then an hour. But to level 30, the more aproximate equivalent number, quite more time.

-SIN- said:
DDO's downside it grouping

Well, most of MMORPG have problems in that point. In WoW, to have a good grouping experience you must belong to a guild. I'm not sure in DDO, I made some few successful groups, but only to low level quests.

-SIN- said:
I think DDO has a much more solid foundation (from the PnP) as well as a lot more options available in the future.

I think the system of DDO is bit clunky to a MMORPG. Those are nice PnP rules, but for realtime combat and character interaction, maybe not so much. The Eberron setting was very nicely implemented, IMHO. But WoW have a nice lore, with some really nice written quests.

Sorry about my messy English. Cheers,

MarauderX

Explorer
Kanegrundar said:
I wouldn't worry about it. If you look around hard enough, there are plenty of people worthy of ignoring! :D

Did you say something Kane? Oh, wait, let me take you off my ignore list... I thought you were volunteering! :p :D

MarauderX

Explorer
Anyone finding LotR Online to be a better version of DDO? I understand most of the graphics and quest/world layouts are pretty similar, with a different set of rules that are already worked out... How would you compare the two?
Perhaps it's time to drop DDO (yes, even the Xoriat server) and get on with something new.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Could someone please quote MarauderX? ;)

Seriously though, I thought more of WoW in the playstyle of LotRO when I was in beta than I did DDO. The look is a lot like DDO, but it felt like they were copying the format of WoW to a certain extent. All in all LotRO is a fun game, but I'm not going to be a subscriber until they get some more content out there. Plus, I'd like to see them change the way Monsters are played. That just didn't grab me at all.

GlassJaw

Hero
MarauderX said:
Anyone finding LotR Online to be a better version of DDO? I understand most of the graphics and quest/world layouts are pretty similar, with a different set of rules that are already worked out... How would you compare the two?
Perhaps it's time to drop DDO (yes, even the Xoriat server) and get on with something new.

I haven't played LotR yet (but I might give it a try) but from what I've heard from those that have, it's been described to me as a LotR-skinned WoW. So the players that like DDO because it's different than WoW don't seem to like LotR very much. The people that played WoW for a long time but got burned out on it seem to be sticking with LotR.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
MarauderX said:
I don't find LotROnline reminding me of DDO at all, actually. LotRO sits somewhere beteween EQ and WoW as far as gameplay is concerned. The mechanics feel a lot like WoW, but the game seems less forgiving (edgier, if you will). I guess I'd say LotRO is like a more challenging WoW and that suits well with my tastes.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
werk said:
http://www.shadowrun-online.com/sro/

index_04.jpg
Microsoft pulled the plug on SROnline.

MarauderX

Explorer
Just got booted from DDO so they can do another hot fix.

Does anyone know or have a tally of how many hours the game has been down or unavailable since it started?

FYI they booted about 18 of us just now. It was a virtual riot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads