Level Up (A5E) de-OGL-ifying Level Up?

Scribe

Legend
They could almost certainly become just "angel-blooded" and "devil-blooded." Even if aasimar and tiefling are fully open (they're not listed as forbidden in the OGL or anything), it might be better to de-D&D-ize them as much as possible.

Yeah thats the kind of stuff I dont know/understand well enough.

I know they are in the 3.5 SRD, and thats why (I assume) they are in Pathfinder, and Pathfinder 2, via the Advanced Player's Guide, and 5e SRD (I think?), and therefore Level Up.

Just calling them Angel Blooded, or Heaven-Touched, or whatever, would be simple enough, but I guess thats why this whole dust up is such a mess.

I'll expand here what I wrote on another thread: I absolutely love LU, and I'm 100% certain that it will become the D&D system for me in the foreseeable future, so removing any threats for product viability or future expansion is probably a must, even by just considering how much effort was put in it. I honestly hope you guys at ENP made a decent amount of money with it because you absolutely deserve it, it's crazy how much better your products (core and adventure paths) are wrt WOTC.

That said, I think WOIN could have even more potential because it's an original and brilliant system (with some kinks that may need some ironing out maybe), it's 100% proprietary, and it's not bound to any back-compatibility issues. This means it could be expanded in any direction possible (heck it was designed as such!), and it already has a license that should incentivate creating new products based on on.

What to do will be Morrus choice of course, and it will be dictated by many considerations I can't even begin to make, but if it's viable given the size of the team and its finances it could be a great strategy to both reignite support for WOIN and removing any OGL references to LU.

Jahydin

Hero
I want nothing more than for Level Up to succeed. The creative additions, expanded rules, and deeper gameplay is exactly what I was anticipating 5E to become as it matured.

Every group I've showed it to has since switched over. I thought releasing it right before the next the 1D&D playtest was unfortunate timing at first, but now I think it couldn't have been better. Nothing that's been shown of the new version has made us more excited than what's already been done in LU. The Beyond and OGL shenanigans has just further pushed us away. Pretty clear LU will be our 5E replacement from here on out.

The dream would be for all the other indie developers to tell WotC to pound sand and make content for LU instead. Hope to see it!

xiphumor

Legend
So while I have a strong idea of what you could publish under the OGL 1.0a, I’m fuzzier on what you could publish without it while still being largely confident that you’re avoiding litigation. Could someone give me a rough list of what changes would be required to de-OGL-ify A5e?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
So while I have a strong idea of what you could publish under the OGL 1.0a, I’m fuzzier on what you could publish without it while still being largely confident that you’re avoiding litigation. Could someone give me a rough list of what changes would be required to de-OGL-ify A5e?
"Spell Level" is part of the SRD. We could change it to "Spell Circle" for example. A 9th Circle spell and a 9th Level spell are the same thing, but a 9th level spell is WotC's territory to use against us.

"Bonus Action" is part of the SRD. Quick Action is not. Reaction to Reserve Action.

Things like that. Lots of renaming things. For some systems lots of -REWRITING- things. But Level Up, happily, had writers write out the rules in their -own- words, rather than a copy-paste from the 5e SRD. So the vast majority of what is written in the Adventurer's Guide, for example, is already written in such a way as to avoid being bound up in the OGL.

Monster and Spell Names are going to require a lot more attention, of course. But the function of the spell, and the monster's abilities, will be largely unchanged... I think.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'll expand here what I wrote on another thread: I absolutely love LU, and I'm 100% certain that it will become the D&D system for me in the foreseeable future, so removing any threats for product viability or future expansion is probably a must, even by just considering how much effort was put in it. I honestly hope you guys at ENP made a decent amount of money with it because you absolutely deserve it, it's crazy how much better your products (core and adventure paths) are wrt WOTC.

That said, I think WOIN could have even more potential because it's an original and brilliant system (with some kinks that may need some ironing out maybe), it's 100% proprietary, and it's not bound to any back-compatibility issues. This means it could be expanded in any direction possible (heck it was designed as such!), and it already has a license that should incentivate creating new products based on on.

What to do will be Morrus choice of course, and it will be dictated by many considerations I can't even begin to make, but if it's viable given the size of the team and its finances it could be a great strategy to both reignite support for WOIN and removing any OGL references to LU.
I am sticking with LU. I've invested too much in it, both time and money, to switch to another game, even one made by the same company.

Remove ads