Deactivating Command Items

Do I need a Standard, ME, or Free action to turn off command items?

What about Boots of Speed and similar, can I use the action gained from the item to turn it off?

Thanks

warhookdm

First Post
I would say either a free action, or a partial, depending on the item.

Ring of Invisibility=free action to deactivate, for example.

Basically, I think it would be a bit quicker to turn something off, than it is to activate it. So, if it takes a partial action to activate, I say its a free action to turn off. If it takes a standard action to activate, it's a partial to turn off.

kreynolds

First Post
It is a very rare situation where you actually elect to take a partial action, and there is no reason to do so. You are generally forced to take a partial action. You can accomplish the same things with a partial action that you can with a standard action, minus a move.

If an item requires another action to deactivate it, it should be the same type of action that is required to activate it. I'd probably allow a free action for some kinds of deactivation though, such as Boots of Speed.

mkletch

First Post
If the item duplicates the effect of a spell, theoretically you cannot deactivate it unless the base spell has (D) at the end of its description, or if the item specifically states that you can command it on and off.

For other items, it would be a DM call, but I would certainly make it a standard action. If you specifically want it on, then there is a reason, and a benefit for you. If you specifically want it off, then there is also a reason and a benefit for you. Both cases would typically require you to spend a standard action, just like dispelling a spell with (D) in the duration.

-Fletch!

dcollins

Explorer
DM with a vengence said:
What about Boots of Speed and similar, can I use the action gained from the item to turn it off?

The most recent Main FAQ added an entry on exactly this item. The Sage ruled that you need to use a standard action to turn off boots of speed. I think the language was that in a round you turn it off, you can't get a haste-based partial action -- you might look that up to be sure.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
I would have allowed deactivation as a free action until I saw that FAQ entry. Now I have to assume that it is a standard action unless it says otherwise.

Remove ads