D&D 5E Dead in Thay (TftYP) Discussion (Possible Spoilers)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I have assembled a pool of a dozen players who are ready to tackle Dead in Thay, which I'm running as a one-off adventure not connected to a larger campaign. The players are creating and posting their characters now. Any given session will have 4 (minimum) to 5 (maximum) players. The player pool ensures that when I want to run the game, there's a game. I plan on starting on 4/20, so it's time to do some planning.

I did a little Googling and didn't find a ton of resources for Dead in Thay, particularly on enworld. So I figured I'd start one here. I'm talking about the version that was published in Tales from the Yawning Portal, not in other sources. I'm going to have a number of questions, I imagine, as I prepare and I hope to have the community's help.

In particular, if you know of any good threads on the matter, I'd appreciate some links. For now, my first couple of questions:

When you ran this, did you have the players select which of the Sectors they would enter first? Or did you choose that for them?

Did the players enter and leave the dungeon from time to time to rest? How did that play out?

jasper

Rotten DM
The players selected the direction. After a while, they agreed I would steer them to the boss fight of each section. Leaving the dungeon was not problem. It did allow people to swap out pcs.
Here are some notes for the players
Common Features. Atmosphere Dry. Detect magic reveals faint aura everywhere. Room Ceilings 20 to 30 feet.
Corridors 20 feet.
Doors. Player knowledge not pc. Locked DC 15 Dexterity check or DC 20 strength. Secret Doors DC 20 Wisdom Perception. False Doors DC 20 intelligence Investigation.

Pit Traps DC 20 passive perception. DC 15 Perception if actively searching. DC 15 Dexterity to jam. Damage DC 15 Dex save 20 feet fall 7 blunt, and 13 piercing.
Other notes. It occasionally look like the game decided people were entering the section from the top of map. I think in the forest of slaughter I had to move a section key to the south so they could get thru the section.
Keep track of the alert level.
The map kind of sucked, I had trouble remembering where the shields were. Check my session write ups.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The players selected the direction. After a while, they agreed I would steer them to the boss fight of each section. Leaving the dungeon was not problem. It did allow people to swap out pcs.
Here are some notes for the players
Common Features. Atmosphere Dry. Detect magic reveals faint aura everywhere. Room Ceilings 20 to 30 feet.
Corridors 20 feet.
Doors. Player knowledge not pc. Locked DC 15 Dexterity check or DC 20 strength. Secret Doors DC 20 Wisdom Perception. False Doors DC 20 intelligence Investigation.

Pit Traps DC 20 passive perception. DC 15 Perception if actively searching. DC 15 Dexterity to jam. Damage DC 15 Dex save 20 feet fall 7 blunt, and 13 piercing.
Other notes. It occasionally look like the game decided people were entering the section from the top of map. I think in the forest of slaughter I had to move a section key to the south so they could get thru the section.
Keep track of the alert level.
The map kind of sucked, I had trouble remembering where the shields were. Check my session write ups.

Thanks, would you kindly give me a link? I didn't notice them on my initial sweep of the forums for Dead in Thay threads.

Remove ads