• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deadlands d20 In-Character

Karl Green

First Post
Yea I was thinking that also and I do enjoy the VP/WP system but I don't want to force it. Here are some additional notes about it with weapons and animals...

Weapons and Critical Hits
Generally all weapons do NOT have crit multiplier to damage now, and all have a base crit threat range of 20, except firearms which have a 19-20 treat range. Any weapon that has a greater range then normal for critical hits (so a Sharps Big .50, with a crit 19-20/x3 or a Bowie Knife with 19-20/x3) has its critical threat number lowered by one additional points (so a Sharps Big .50 now has a critical threat range of 18-20 and the Bowie Knife has a 19-20). Critical Hits go straight to Wound Points, by passing Vitality. NPC classes that don't have Vitality are generally knocked out of the battle with a Critical Hit.

Animals and VP/WP
Wound Points based on Size...
SIZE WP Multiplier
Fine................x 1/10
Diminutive........x 1/5
Tiny..................x 1/3
Small................x 1/2
Medium..............x 1
Large................x 1 1/2
Huge..................x 2
Gargantuan.......x 4
Colossal.............x 8

Generally non-aggressive animals (like horses) don't get VP. Aggressive animals (like Wolves) get 1/2 their Hit Dices as Vitality. Very aggressive and monstrous creatures get their Full Hit Dice in Vitality (make big bad monsters like dragons REALLY bad, as if they were not bad enough already).

Last edited:

Doppleganger

First Post
I've been waiting to check out Way of the Gun before completing my character, hopefully I'll have time later today to browse through the local gaming store.

Anybody have any suggestions for something in that book? Are there any great new shooting feats or pistol-types I should consider?

Incidentally, I've never actually played Deadlands before either. But I've been looking forward to DMing my regular gaming group with this d20 version.

I've played western style GURPS and even Boot Hill too!!

The Crimster

First Post
Re: OK posted VP/WP over in Rogues...

Karl Green said:
As for a Wolf, I don't mind BUT just remember he is going to hate it around other people AND most shettlers will shot him on sight.

Ahhh, yes. I should have remembered that. Ok with you if I swap that out for something else?

Running Wolf

Karl Green

First Post
Crimster sure you can. I don't even mind if you do have a wolf you just will have to be careful with him is all (can't go into the bar to talk with someone with your wolf, etc)

Doppleganger yea I have the GURPS Deadlands and Old West (2nd ed) and really like them but I don't play that much GURPS anymore. Anyway as for feat from Way of the Gun, there are only two new ones that you can take at 1st level...

Special Draw allows you define a special way that you draw your pistol(s) and give a +2 to your Initiative [but only if you drew your pistols in the first round of combat]. You need Quick Draw and Improved Initiative

Steady Shot allows you to lowere your initiative and gain a bonus to hit against one target. For every 2 you lower it by you get +1 to hitting that one target. You initiative stays at the lower rate for the rest of the combat and if you refocuses you loss the bonus nor can you "steady shot" someone else. You need a Wisdom of 13+ and Level Headed

Karl Green

First Post
So any more thoughts?

Just wondering. I sent email to two of you (the Rowdy and the Mad Scientist). Did you get them?

Just wondering as I might like to shot for Monday to start. Generally I will post at least once a weekday. Weekends are a little harder for me as I try to avoid logging onto the computer at home (my wife complains that I spend to much time online as is :) oh woman ya got to love them... at least if you are married to them :))

The Crimster

First Post
Re: So any more thoughts?

Karl Green said:
Just wondering as I might like to shot for Monday to start.

Whoohoooo! Giddyap pardners'! Sounds good to me.

Generally I will post at least once a weekday. Weekends are a little harder for me as I try to avoid logging onto the computer at home (my wife complains that I spend to much time online as is :) oh woman ya got to love them... at least if you are married to them :))

Understandable, same thing applies to me (errrr... except for the wife issue).

Running Wolf

Doc_Souark

Explorer
Karl Green said:

Animals and VP/WP
Wound Points based on Size...
SIZE WP Multiplier
Fine................x 1/10
Diminutive........x 1/5
Tiny..................x 1/3
Small................x 1/2
Medium..............x 1
Large................x 1 1/2
Huge..................x 2
Gargantuan.......x 4
Colossal.............x 8

Generally non-aggressive animals (like horses) don't get VP. Aggressive animals (like Wolves) get 1/2 their Hit Dices as Vitality. Very aggressive and monstrous creatures get their Full Hit Dice in Vitality (make big bad monsters like dragons REALLY bad, as if they were not bad enough already).

I'm not into Deadlands but I'm waiting for Sidewinder the Western RPG from Citizen Games. Anyway is the above chart just for DL or is it for all games that use the WP/VP system ?

Karl Green

First Post
this was a chart...

...I wrote up for my games (D&D or Deadlands or any D20) so that I could use WP/VP. In Star Wars the chart is a little different, small and large creatures don't have any modifiers to their WP and everything has Vitality... I just didn't think that a Horse should have a many Vitality as a Wolf or a Bear or some monsters so I used the modified version... and also NPC classes don't get Vitality points either. So that 10th level Barber is just really good at cutting hair... you shot him he has as many Wounds as anyone.

Oops forgot to say that Deadlands just uses Hit Points. They were thinking about using VP/WP but in the end wanted to be on the safe side and just make it all compatable with the PHB, DMG and MM. Not a bad idea BUT I like to tweck things :)

Last edited:

loxmyth

First Post
Just wondering. I sent email to two of you (the Rowdy and the Mad Scientist). Did you get them?

Yup. I'll post a character to the boards by the weekend at the latest. I think I'll need to have you look over it a couple of times and make suggestions. There also seem to be a bunch of skills that aren't stock d20. Could you give a quick rundown on what they are and what they do? One skill that comes to mind immediately is holdout.

thanks,

~lox

Karl Green

First Post
basic skills (no real info)

the basic new skills are...

Demolition (INT) - blowing stuff up
Drivin' (type) (DEX) - driving vehicles like trains and streamcar
Faith (WIS; exculsive blessed) - casting blessed miricals
Gamblin' (INT) - playen at games of chance
Gunplay (DEX; exculsive gunslinger) - fancy shoting
Hexslingin' (INT; exculsive hexslinger) - casting hexes
Holdout (DEX) - hiding things on yourself (like your boots or vest pocket)
Mad Scientist (INT; exculsive mad scientist) - inventing things
Ridicule (INT) - fine art of making fun of someone
Ritual (WIS; exculsive shaman) - casting gifts from the spirits
Slieght of Hand (DEX) - manipulating small items in your hands and not getting seen
Speed Load (DEX) - loading your gun fast as you can
Tale Tellin' (CHA) - telling a good story
Tinkerin' (INT; exculsive mad scientist) - fixing and understanding the gadgets of other scientists

Some New Feats

Armor Proficiency (for Mad Scientist armors)
Automatic Weapon Proficiency (for automatic weapons)
Brave (not as scared)
Dead Eye (dependent on level, exculsive; more damage with your weapons)
Dinero (start with twice the amount of money; can get more later)
Extra Spell Points (5 extra spell points)
Fannin' (higher level; shoting your pistols fast)
Firearm Proficiency (for Braves mostly; pistol, rifle or shotgun)
Grim Servent o' Death (high level; can get auto crit's with Fate Chips)
Improved Casting (higher level; improved spell casting)
Level-Headed (requires Improve Initiative; can get good initiative)
Marksmen (higher level; can make Coup de Grace at range with surprise)
Nerves of Steel (don't have to flee from failed fear checks)
Renowned (higher level; people know you)
Sand (can fight into the negatives of HP/WP)
Sucker Punch (Improved Unarmed Strike, +1 base attack; do extra damage with unarmed and can stun them)
The Stare (higher level; can frighten people with "the stare")

If you want post a basic character outline and we can work out the rest...

Remove ads