• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Death clerics

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Nah we’re a conservative old school bunch! But feats and variant human are ok

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
In any event, curious if anyone else has had fun with a death cleric at the table and how it worked out. How are death clerics in play?
I haven't had any Cleric of Death player, but I think most of the "evilness" is in the narrative and description of the spells, particularly because most of their bonus spells abilities do necrotic damage.

But they also have defensive bonus spells: Death Ward, False Life, Antilife Shell and Ray of Enfeeblement (technically offensive but non-damaging).

And then of course at the end of the day a spell that does necrotic damage is not necessarily more "evil" than a Fireball that can burn people alive... the overall character picture might still be grim, but you can certainly create a good/non-evil PC with this archetype.

OTOH I would really also consider the Grave domain from Xanathar, which has a more anti-undead vibe.

Remove ads