• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Death Dealer Adventure?

Grimstaff

Explorer
I know the announcement is a disappointment to folks hoping for another of Goodman Games' 3.5/1E releases, but I feel strongly that 4E is the right engine for Death Dealer. I'm not ignorant to the sensitivity around "kewl p0w3rz," but until the adventure makes it to your FLGS, you're just going to have to trust me on that count.

//H

I loves me some 1E, but a simple "martial character only" houserule for 4E is one of the closest approximations to dirty Sword-n-Sorcery I've seen in an RPG. IMO, Death Dealer and 4E should be a perfect fit.

Trust granted. ;)

Grimstaff

Explorer
BECMI may not be legal, but Labyrinth Lord is. :)

I wouldn't bet the livelihood of an operation like Goodman Games on that.

There's still a lot of question about the legality of retro-clones. Personally, I feel that as long as WotC continues to keep Moldvay/Cook unavailable for purchase, its fair game (look, a pun!). But I'm no copyright attorney.

Daern

Explorer
Did anyone buy/play this adventure? I can't find a review or anything about it. I'm not even sure it actually was published...

JoeGKushner

First Post
If anyone's read Level Up #1, you should have another idea of what the author is talking about in terms of 'grim/grit' as they've refluffed many of the powers in that magazine using Death Dealer's world as the setting. Some solid ideas there and a lot of potentail to run thing differently by doing so just in terms of 'feel' without changing the mechanics.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Huge fan of frazetta now (look left!) and back when I DM'ed alot of 2E. I chopped up one of my Frazetta calendars to use the pictures as props in a game back then. Then I taped all the pictures to my bedroom walls. Man, 5th grade was awesome. My wife would kill me if she came home and I'd taped Frazetta art all over our bedroom.

Anyway, I'll probably buy this.

Wycen

Explorer
I believe the first company to consider DnD with Frazetta art was Black Magic Games, back in the initial 3E days. They started doing stuff for Baldur's Gate, the CRPG, then released a DnD module, which as far as I know is their only release, Nightfall in Eliador (which you can still find at some old DnD archive sites). After that, they had planned to release another module for table top gaming, and had various bits of artwork they acquired on display, but maybe it was Vallejo, not Frazetta, except that image seems so familiar to me.

Or maybe Vebjorn Strommen did something similar. Anyway, Cover Art by Vebjorn Strommen is all that remains as far as I know.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Setting your gross generalization aside , I would have loved this for Runequest system. ( What is Deathdealer without decapitations and dismemberment, and using said severed member as improvised clubs!!!!)

That is a great visualization for doing an intimidation after killing....
Note Runequest due to the implications of battle featured
  1. You are risking "heros" running from battles because they are as likely to get maimed or more so than their enemies.
  2. In the default setting they used ultra prevalent magic to replace severed limbs casually?
  3. nyeah.

I think you need them minions to go down in a spray of blood gore.... and heros with lasting power Stormbringer ... err I mean the helm needs to feed. And Conan needs a pile of enemies to stand atop... err I mean Gath.

The way I see it many of the older stories can be done very well in D&D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads