• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Death Dealer Adventure?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The pdf is indeed a boon and quite readable granting my poor optics a relax from needing shaped glass when computers are available ;-)

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Got my copy Friday, Harley. Love the artwork, the critical hit rules, the alternative racial adjustment rules for a humans-only campaign and the 3D maps. I hope to run the module later in 2010 - if so, I'll check back in with you.

Also, is this going to be a series? Or a one shot? Depend on how well it sells, I suppose?

Harley Stroh

First Post
Chain,

Thanks for the kind words.

This one is a definitely a self-contained one shot. It pretty much hits on all the points established in the comic series.

But the folks at Image have also done a "Fantastic Worlds of Frank Frank Frazetta" series set in the same world. (In fact, those reading through the DD release will notice a lot of tie-ins to the the "Swamp Demon" comic short.)

There certainly is the chance that we may get to collaborate with them again. Most of the one-shot comics are very much in the vein of sword & sorcery fantasy that you'd expect from Frazetta, so it's all very applicable to D&D.

Thanks again for picking up DD. I hope it runs well.

//H

darjr

I crit!
I hope you guys do. I've got mine here and just downloaded the PDF.

It looks fantastic, I have the alternate cover.

I picked it up before my shadowrun game and had to put it away to keep from distracting folks.

Daern

Explorer
I just ran through I think 2/3 of the module tonight in a mega-session. I handed out pre-gens and kept a stack of extras because we used the full Deathdealer Crit rules and I expected some deaths. Despite many many crits, I did not kill any characters. Oh well.
My comments are this: The scenario is an extremely linear "railroad", and so it requires alot of DM momentum and evocation. Since there aren't many actual choices I think it works best to just propel the game forward and make use of all the rad flavor text. It's a slightly different type of scenario, so my players were into it. I think it also helped that the monsters were easy and the DCs were low. If the didn't have a choice to do it, why make it frustrating?

The Defense of Cascada pass was really cool. Fighting the unwinnable battle was rad. The ruined keep is a great design, though I wish I had studied it a little closer before hand. It was fun to do a fast exploration of the keep with players putting together ideas for how to stop/slow down the approaching horde. It required some very interesting and fun choices and obliged on character to spend the majority of the encounter doing anything but battling. They ended up splitting up to defend the two towers and I made dropping the portcullis and raising the drawbridge both mini skill challenges... ending with the party riding an impromptu zip line across the chasm to escape.

Overall, I'd totally run the Cascada defense again. Good stuff.

Daern

Explorer
We played through the Angra Swamp tonight. The skill challenge was successful, though they did choose to seek out the witch, Shanti. I made it a bit of an rp encounter with the "druidess" trying to convince them that the quest to slay the Deathdealer was a big mistake. Then they started asking all kinds of logical questions and the demon grew frustrated and attacked.
Brutal Combat! They were lucky to crit and slay Shanti in the first blow as the Dezoko demon and the Huge Croc were really tough! I did manage to slay one character, and another only survived by spending an action point.
Anyways, the final enounter of the session was the "Battle of the Bridge", which was pretty cool. No one fell into the endless mist.
All in all my players are loving it! Totally classic story which they are happy to follow, and great flavor text to go with all the great art! Good times.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads