• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Deborah Ann Woll and Matt Mercer consulted on the 2024 DMG.

What the headline says. That's it; that's the news! Click if you like, but that's all it is!

WotC consulted with celebrities including True Blood's Deborah Ann Woll and Critical Role's Matt Mercer when revising the upcoming 2024 edition of the Dungeon Master's Guide. Apparently another (unnamed) consultant provided advice on running game for kids.

That's it; that's the news.

Kurotowa

Legend
Again, though, this isn't new. You can go back to the old print Dragon magazines and when they polled their readers, they got EXACTLY the same age numbers in the 80's that you get new. If anything, we're actually trending older now. After all, I doubt the number of 50+ year old gamers (cough like me cough) were very high in 1983 compared to now. Now, the 50+ crowd are gamers who started in the dark ages and have aged through the hobby.
And this is a good thing. Any hobby that isn't constantly inducting newer younger members is one that's dying. You can't just focus on the players you have because there's a steady attrition over time. People decide the hobby isn't for them anymore, or they find that between work and kids they don't have the time for it, or they meet their inevitable appointment with the grim reaper.

Loss of people is a constant, so even if the hobby isn't growing you need a steady flow of new participants just to break even. And surprise surprise, the vast majority of those new players are going to be young people discovering it for the first time.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I'm surprised that this discussion is still going on. Maybe I shouldn't be. I have seen Matt and Deborah running games. They are excellent GMs. They use skills that can make you a better GM. But even if you don't like their style, you can learn how you run a game by watching them. I'm thinking about it, and I don't understand how their voices would be anything but positive in a discussion about running a game.

I've been blessed to play with many great GMs, and I know many of them. Running a game is a skill, and you can both study and practice it to get better.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm surprised that this discussion is still going on. Maybe I shouldn't be. I have seen Matt and Deborah running games. They are excellent GMs. They use skills that can make you a better GM. But even if you don't like their style, you can learn how you run a game by watching them. I'm thinking about it, and I don't understand how their voices would be anything but positive in a discussion about running a game.

I've been blessed to play with many great GMs, and I know many of them. Running a game is a skill, and you can both study and practice it to get better.

I suspect there are two issues in play with people who disagree:

1. They're actively hostile to the medium, considering watching someone play/GM useless;

2. They're hostile to the styles that Woll and Mercer bring to the game, and consider propagating those styles harmful to the hobby.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Again, though, this isn't new. You can go back to the old print Dragon magazines and when they polled their readers, they got EXACTLY the same age numbers in the 80's that you get new. If anything, we're actually trending older now. After all, I doubt the number of 50+ year old gamers (cough like me cough) were very high in 1983 compared to now. Now, the 50+ crowd are gamers who started in the dark ages and have aged through the hobby.
Now remember, I'm older than you...be careful tossing around dark ages and "aged". :LOL:

I'm very sensitive these days...hehe...

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

1. They're actively hostile to the medium, considering watching someone play/GM useless;

2. They're hostile to the styles that Woll and Mercer bring to the game, and consider propagating those styles harmful to the hobby.
Sadly, I feel (IMHO) that what you are saying has some validity.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself

I suspect you're correct in this. And I think that's kind of sad. To kind of address your points:
If you don't like streamers, by all means, don't watch them. I think that most of the people who don't like streamers haven't really watched them. I suppose that makes sense because why would you? But then you also aren't in a place to comment about what they have to say.
And for the second one, that makes me really sad. I think there are a number of things you can learn about running a session from a good streamer that will improve your session objectively. I think it's likely that most people who don't like these styles haven't had much experience with them. I'd say Matt/Deborah's sessions are strong because:
  • As GMs, they have tons of energy and run the game with enthusiasm and gusto.
  • They try to pace the sessions to keep things moving and interesting and build a session into something big.
  • They work collaboratively with the players to describe what happens.
I'm sure there are more reasons, but that's off the top of my head. Maybe you can run a great game doing none of those things, but I don't remember great sessions where they haven't played a part.

I dunno…if I’m creating a D&D product, and get people like Matt Mercer and Deborah Ann Woll to contribute to the book and sell more books, that’s a good thing.
yes to this!

I’ve only seen a few episodes of Critical Role and, based on that limited sample size, honestly don’t particularly care for Matt’s DMing style. BUT, I do appreciate his passion and admire his talents as a voice actor. AND, I’m glad so many people do enjoy CR and that it has been a boon for the hobby. Without too much CR context, I’m co-running a campaign in Wildemount and it has been a blast. I’d gladly buy any product that he has contributed to.

Now I need to learn a bit more about Deborah!

Remove ads

Remove ads