D&D (2024) Deborah Ann Woll and Matt Mercer consulted on the 2024 DMG.

What the headline says. That's it; that's the news! Click if you like, but that's all it is!

WotC consulted with celebrities including True Blood's Deborah Ann Woll and Critical Role's Matt Mercer when revising the upcoming 2024 edition of the Dungeon Master's Guide. Apparently another (unnamed) consultant provided advice on running game for kids.

That's it; that's the news.

OK, fair enough. Apologies to you all and especially @Clint_L . Without the quote, it indeed looks the opposite.
There was no way, you could have known that.
It was just coincidence that thise sentences fit so perfectly together without the quote, so noone doublechecked for hidden text.
Maybe we should apologize to you for assuming you talked about Mercer and Woll in that way.

Scribe

Legend
It's just a really weird minor thing to change. Like someone sat down and thought "I really need to get rid of the canonical moustaches on this group of classic uptight knights."

How dare you try and limit my fictional characters visual representation. /s

Stormonu

Legend
I would assume Female Knights wouldn't need a moustache. Kind of like how modern militaries have different dress codes for male and female soldiers.

I highly highly doubt Solomnia was like "Only people with moustaches can join our military". It was more like "Only dudes". Which changing that makes sense. But to take away that the guys dont want a moustache? Just weird.
As I recall, it was more of a dress code. Hundred years before the War of the Lance, many knights were clean-shaven - I think they did so it to "hide" their association with the knights due to the bad rap they had gained from working with the Kingpriest in ancient days. The mustache was still used by the traditionalists, and one of the story elements of the original was how hide-bound the standing knights had become about their traditions and the prejudices that arose from that. For a while, Sturm did not have one and grew one to try and gain some legitimacy among the traditionists.

Still like my Knights of Solamnia with mustaches, though (mainly because of Sturm and Gunthar uth Winstan - Derek can go sit on a potato peeler).

Mull Ponders

Explorer
It is amazing how everyone says old D&D was impossible to learn and GMing was even worse, yet most of us it managed it at 10 or so.
1E (AD&D hardback) had examples of play in the DMG, starting at page 97. OD&D, the woodgrain and white box sets, had nothing. I think this is why people say it was passed along from people who had played.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Not familiar with Deborah Ann Woll's TTRPG work. But Matt's videos on running D&D, his world building, his rule books, and his outsized influence on the D&D fan base makes him an ideal outside consultant. The fact that Deborah Ann Woll is being given an equally high profile call out for her role as an outside consultant makes me want to check out her work. I only know her from True Blood.

Remove ads

Remove ads