D&D (2024) Deborah Ann Woll and Matt Mercer consulted on the 2024 DMG.

What the headline says. That's it; that's the news! Click if you like, but that's all it is!

WotC consulted with celebrities including True Blood's Deborah Ann Woll and Critical Role's Matt Mercer when revising the upcoming 2024 edition of the Dungeon Master's Guide. Apparently another (unnamed) consultant provided advice on running game for kids.

That's it; that's the news.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
It's just a really weird minor thing to change. Like someone sat down and thought "I really need to get rid of the canonical moustaches on this group of classic uptight knights."
Well no, it was to permit female knights but now that I think about it, it would be a lot funnier if they kept the moustaches and insisted that female knight grow a regulation moustache. Potions of moustache growth can be obtained from the quartermaster.

What do you mean? It is the people in this community that are constantly going on about how hard AD&D was to learn.
I assume they mean it's a selection effect. Those who found it too difficult fell by the wayside. Those who found it difficult but doable are the people who are still here. I can't say that I ever thought AD&D was massively difficult though. Chess is harder.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I assume they mean it's a selection effect. Those who found it too difficult fell by the wayside. Those who found it difficult but doable are the people who are still here. I can't say that I ever thought AD&D was massively difficult though. Chess is harder.
I have the advantage of looking at AD&D through the lens of later games after knowing what a TTRPG is. Mostly it's less the game being difficult than the texts being...obtuse.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
What is negative about it?
I'm not a fan. I actually dislike Critical Roll and it's ilk. That of course is a personal opinion and that makes it a negative for me, but I can totally see why others love them. I like Deborah Ann Woll in True Blood, Daredevil and Punisher. I just don't like the 'watch D&D played' format that's popular with a vocal portion of the playerbase.

See it as, I don't want that streamer mentality in my core D&D.

Reynard

Legend
I'm not a fan. I actually dislike Critical Roll and it's ilk. That of course is a personal opinion and that makes it a negative for me, but I can totally see why others love them. I like Deborah Ann Woll in True Blood, Daredevil and Punisher. I just don't like the 'watch D&D played' format that's popular with a vocal portion of the playerbase.

See it as, I don't want that streamer mentality in my core D&D.
To each their own, of course. But the truth is, streaming is responsible for more people trying D&D than any other on boarding method ever. Therefore, that "mentality" is going to be core to an edition/update/whatever aimed at those new players.

Remove ads

Remove ads