Deborah Ann Woll's Relics & Rarities Ep #1 Is Now Free

The Haunting of Bentham Manor, The first episode of Daredevil's Deborah Ann Woll's Relics & Rarities is now free. Previously it was only on Geek & Sundry's subscription channel.

The Haunting of Bentham Manor, The first episode of Daredevil's Deborah Ann Woll's Relics & Rarities is now free. Previously it was only on Geek & Sundry's subscription channel.

"A mysterious letter summons four adventurers to an unassuming curio shop called Relics & Rarities. They are recruited by its owner, Professor Roundland, who sends them to investigate the disturbances at Benthem Manor.Set in a mysterious curio shop, creator Deborah Ann Woll brings a unique twist to the world of Dungeons & Dragons with gripping storytelling and arcane objects. Join Woll and a party of special guests each week as they face her puzzles and challenges!"

[video=youtube;JcaxZbUjfaY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcaxZbUjfaY[/video]

Relics-and-Rarities-Featured-3.png

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Finally got the chance to watch this in its entirety, and that was incredible. Deborah Ann Woll makes DMing look easy, she is superb at storytelling. I really liked all of those props and puzzles that fed into the narrative and flow of the campaign, and she's great at making even "failed rolls" be useful for the game. Matthew Lillard's larger than life personality somewhat overshadowed the others but it wasn't too bad, and he was a great addition to the team.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
To be clear, I see plenty of people like me represented in the hobby. I mean, Mike Mearls, Chris Perkins, and even that young fellow Jeremy Crawford all have some miles on the odometer.

I just think that "gamers of a certain age" have a sense of humor that is perhaps generational, or experiential.
Surely there are plenty of players in that age group in all the many, many streaming games? I know it's newfangled tech and all, but a lot of D&D players are also techies of one stripe or another.

jaycrockett

Explorer
I have a hard time watching people play roleplaying games on video, but that was definitely the best that I've seen. And that set was amazing.

QuestsandChaos

First Post
According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between 45 and 65. I'd like to see a show with some of those folks. I might be the only one, but it's what I'd like to see.
Our Chtulhu show on Quests and Chaos has large age range. Some really young, some older. I DM our Chaos Agents show and ill be 44 this year.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Our Chtulhu show on Quests and Chaos has large age range. Some really young, some older. I DM our Chaos Agents show and ill be 44 this year.

I've been watching bits of the 5e shows on your Twitch channel the last few months. You've got some good players, a nice studio, and a very professional looking production. Well done.

Doesn't look like it, alas. I find it easier to listen to an episode throughout the week while I'm out and about, rather than sitting down and watching the whole thing in one go.

Excited to check this out, nonetheless. I'm glad it's on the shorter side, at two hours, too.

Is this in podcast form?

jgsugden

Legend
I love DAW as an actress, but I gave up after 5 minutes on R&R.

I do not like a DM that tells a PC what the PC decides to do or believes. I have no problem with the DM describing an involuntary reaction after a failed ability check/saving throw, etc... or even offering a reaction for the player to confirm or let pass, such as, "You'd be hard pressed to find anyone not revolted by the smell inside of it."

In the first few minutes it came off with the feel of a DM that wanted the players to play her game, rather than a DM that sets the stage and unfolds it with the players. That makes sense given the physicalities she icorporates, but it isn't for me. This is something Mercer does well with C&R... he has put in a lot of work to prep for things that never come to pass. Perhaps that changed over the episode, but I was not willing to stick it out. I'd rather devote some time to finish Punisher Season 2 and see her there.

Kor

First Post
I love DAW as an actress, but I gave up after 5 minutes on R&R.

I do not like a DM that tells a PC what the PC decides to do or believes. I have no problem with the DM describing an involuntary reaction after a failed ability check/saving throw, etc... or even offering a reaction for the player to confirm or let pass, such as, "You'd be hard pressed to find anyone not revolted by the smell inside of it."

In the first few minutes it came off with the feel of a DM that wanted the players to play her game, rather than a DM that sets the stage and unfolds it with the players. That makes sense given the physicalities she icorporates, but it isn't for me. This is something Mercer does well with C&R... he has put in a lot of work to prep for things that never come to pass. Perhaps that changed over the episode, but I was not willing to stick it out. I'd rather devote some time to finish Punisher Season 2 and see her there.

You really needed to watch more than 5 minutes. This is a very common practice for DM's to help get things moving along at the start -- especially for a short session. Otherwise all adventures would start with "so you are sitting in an tavern... what do you do?". Woll does a great job of setting the theme and is very descriptive when detailing each location which better helps players to make their choices along the way.

I also don't like to see DM's railroading the adventure -- and I admit when I first saw Woll taking some liberties in narrating what the players were doing I was a bit concerned. However once the adventure formally started, then the control was completely in the player's hands. Again... you really need to watch more than 5 minutes.

Kor

First Post
I wish there was a game featuring middle-aged folks, though. That's one of the things I like about Acquisitions Inc., actually. Deborah Ann Woll is a good DM, but it's kind of like watching my friends' kids play D&D.

That's great that you would like to watch a bunch of "older-gamers" play, but most people would not so it seems like an odd criticism of the show.

Many productions such as this do take into account general audience demographics. The general median measure of relate-ability is 10 years +/-. This means that people between 25 to 45 will be able to relate to a 35-year old actor. Because of this, I think the players chosen do appeal do the most optimal age range of audience.

As someone who is about to hit the half-century mark this year, I can say I have no interest in watching a group of teenagers play, nor a bunch of "older-gamers" like myself. The average age range of the players in this show is quite optimal.

Notwithstanding the "optimal age range" discussion above, likability and entertainment factor are still key ingredients for any player you are going to have on a show like this -- and in my opinion, the players did check all these boxes.

Remove ads

Remove ads