• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

December Rules Update Available

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Wohooo!

They fixed shifting! No more stupid polearm gamble / threatening reach tricks!
It still works if you take Polearm Master as your PP at 11th level. Like I have with my LFR character. Luckily, I got to level 11 before the errata went into effect, so I got my use out of it.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Okay, cool, I made the update but it didn't change the values to the tenths decimal place. :)

PS. I'll edit the previous post for the file attachment.

eamon

Explorer
It still works if you take Polearm Master as your PP at 11th level. Like I have with my LFR character. Luckily, I got to level 11 before the errata went into effect, so I got my use out of it.
What I was refering to was the fact that previously, shifting toward a character with Polearm gamble (or a monster with threatening reach) provoked and OA. It didn't look like that was the intent, and the RAW has now been updated too; such shifts no longer provoke.

Polearm Master doesn't change that. Its 16th level perk does grant you a CC-like attack at reach, which is nice, but it's not an OA.

In any case, I don't think it's a major nerf, nor was it intended to be one; this is really an errata.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
What I was refering to was the fact that previously, shifting toward a character with Polearm gamble (or a monster with threatening reach) provoked and OA. It didn't look like that was the intent, and the RAW has now been updated too; such shifts no longer provoke.

Polearm Master doesn't change that. Its 16th level perk does grant you a CC-like attack at reach, which is nice, but it's not an OA.

In any case, I don't think it's a major nerf, nor was it intended to be one; this is really an errata.

Oh, right...I forgot some people were interpreting the RAW to say shifts activated Polearm Gamble and OA. We've always been playing that they didn't. We looked at it and said "Shifts don't provoke OAs from moving out of threatened squares. I think it's just a case of the writer being overly specific. He meant they don't provoke it at all because there are only a couple things in the whole game that can trigger an OA otherwise."

I misread what you were talking about. I mixed it up with the previous post about Footwork Lure. I thought you were referring to the Footwork Lure/Polearm Momentum combo. My character has been using it since level 1, hitting enemies from 2 squares away with his at-will attack and sliding them 2 and knocking them prone.

Now, it does have a weird wording when you use it from two squares away, but the consensus in our group is that if you cannot fulfill the conditions of the power, the shift doesn't happen at all. In this case, if you hit with a reach weapon, you can shift, but the enemy doesn't get slid.

Unless you have Polearm Master's class feature which makes the power say "Slide the target 2 squares into the square you left".

Elric

First Post
Okay, cool, I made the update but it didn't change the values to the tenths decimal place. :)

PS. I'll edit the previous post for the file attachment.

It does affect the value to the tenth decimal place at epic when you pick up a 19-20 critical range. I said it was a small mistake :D

SabreCat

First Post
So the consensus on Footwork Lure seems to be that it no longer works at reach unless you have Rushing Cleats or the like. (You get your shift, but since you can't fulfill the "slide 1 square into the space you left" effect, it doesn't happen.) Unfortunate, but I'll deal.

What about the update to the Spiked Chain multiclass? It's set up for the new Double Weapon rules now, but since the off hand is identical in weapon type and damage to the main hand, can't you just swing with that end most of the time for your Tempest Technique bonuses?

So the consensus on Footwork Lure seems to be that it no longer works at reach unless you have Rushing Cleats or the like. (You get your shift, but since you can't fulfill the "slide 1 square into the space you left" effect, it doesn't happen.) Unfortunate, but I'll deal.

What about the update to the Spiked Chain multiclass? It's set up for the new Double Weapon rules now, but since the off hand is identical in weapon type and damage to the main hand, can't you just swing with that end most of the time for your Tempest Technique bonuses?

Well, except your most likely "bread-n-butter" attack is Dual Strike. Its no biggie as long as you're attacking with one weapon, but its sort of the point of Tempest is multi-attacking. It may well still be a good choice though. Overall its not much different than double sword except you have reach. Its just toned down now to a point where its not the only best option. 2 katars could definitely be fun as well.

Remove ads