• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deciding your PC race.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Unless I somehow start playing D&D for money, I couldn't give a crap about optimization. Playing a boring character that will somehow let me "win" the game more easily holds no appeal for me. Playing a character that's interesting and fun is all I care about. Race is typically part of what makes a character fun and is one of the first decisions made when coming up with a character.

Pentius

First Post
I used to be pretty big on picking my race for RP first, and not budging on it. These days I tend to finalize my race much later in the creation process. Some of it is optimizing, yes, but more and more it's that I am choosing character concepts that simply don't hinge on me playing one specific race. When I get to the stage of picking a race, I'll go through and consider the ramifications, possibly tweak his character toward it. But when I get to that stage, I don't feel bad picking a race based on stats, because race isn't what I'm hanging my RP on anyway.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I mostly play D&D, and each edition form 2E onwards makes it harder to ignore the race choice when choosing a character, for mechanical reasons.

I would like to see stats and stat bonuses less important. I really would. I think it would open up the game a lot more.

Yes, even though it is only a +2 to the ability and an associated +1 to hit and damage, it matters to me.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When you make a PC, do you choose his/her race based off of a character concept, or do you choose it based on optimization towards the class it will be?

It depends. Sometimes I'm looking for something quirky & memorable, sometimes I'm looking for a relatively optimized design. Sometimes, those impulses resonate.

AeroDm

First Post
The system has a large influence. In 2e it was almost all character concept. In 3e it was mostly character concept, but I'd tweak my choice maybe a bit. In 4e, optimization plays a big role in the decision. I think this is because of what the system validates as "cool." In 2e, the system really got out of your way because there wasn't enough substance to get *in* your way, so you made yourself "cool" by what you chose to do. Third edition put more substance into the system, but the character customization process was still a composite of a dozen or more little systems of which race was just one (minor) piece. By 4e, the system had a lot more to say because more events happened within the confines of the system, and, as a result, the system mattered more. The vast majority of my decision with regards to race in 4e has to do with stat mods, because stats in 4e matter so much.

Greylock

First Post
I usually start with a concept, but the first thing I do is ask the DM what races are available. I've found that most DMs already have an idea of what they think appropriate for the when/why of my character joining the party, and I roll with that. I honestly can't think of a single time since 1st Edition I picked a race simply for it's bonuses or attributes, unless I was specifically going for a pointy-eared freak or a giant bundle of muscles already as part of the concept.

malcolypse

First Post
Depends entirely on my mood at the time.

I like to think that I favor concept over bonuses more often than not, but I don't have access to actual numbers, just my hopes for myself.

Stormonu

Legend
Unless I somehow start playing D&D for money, I couldn't give a crap about optimization. Playing a boring character that will somehow let me "win" the game more easily holds no appeal for me. Playing a character that's interesting and fun is all I care about. Race is typically part of what makes a character fun and is one of the first decisions made when coming up with a character.

I care more for the fun too, but I've been stuck a couple of times with a combo that wasn't any to play because the mechanics got in the way.

Pentius

First Post
The system has a large influence.

I've noticed this, too, but for me it doesn't matter so much what system it is as it does how familiar I am with it. The more I know the rules, the more likely I am to consider the ramifications of racial choice in a mechanical light.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
My next character is going to be a tengu(ie kenku) gunslinger. (pathfinder)
sure its optimized-ish cause gunslingers can use the dex and wis bonuses.

but really, gunslingers suck. tengu are flightless humanoid birds from a Bestiary. IE no feat support, and mediocre racial abilities.

Something about a black bird in a trenchcoat making his way through a fantasy world with nothing but 2 pistols and a gift for vocal imitation speaks to me.
In fact I just named him - braCK.

Generally I pick a concept and then try to optimize it, making the best choices that still fit the character. If the character is going to end up crippled, like a 4e character with 2 attack stats. I simply rethink it.

Edit:
in 4e Optimizing race has some effect on my decisions. For me to consider it the race has to have at least 1 ability bonus used by the class. A Goliath Psion is right out.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads