D&D 5E Declarations that start combat vs. initiative

Combat starting mid-RP without sneakiness, when does the declaring PC/NPC go?

• In normal initiative order. The one who's action started this may not actually be the first action.

Votes: 53 52.0%
  • At the top of initiative, since there is no combat until they make their move.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • During normal initiative but with chance of people on both sides could be surprised.

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • At the top of initiative, with the chance people on both sides could be surprised it's starting now.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Other (explained below).

Votes: 15 14.7%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
except it is the proof that 1 minute can feel like 10, and 10 can feel like 1... see also 'time flies when you are having fun'
And how people get it right a whole lot more often. Internal clocks wake them without alarm clocks, etc.
no in order to be wrong it has to not be an estimate.
That's........................................not how estimates work. An estimate is just a guess about when you will be done. You're literally claiming guesses can't be wrong.
yet you are upset at someone saying they don't pin down a time... cause it is 'about'
Not upset. They're just wrong if it doesn't work out how they guessed it would.

Edit: Google it man. Not only can estimates be wrong, they are ALWAYS wrong.

And how people get it right a whole lot more often. Internal clocks wake them without alarm clocks, etc.

That's........................................not how estimates work. An estimate is just a guess about when you will be done. You're literally claiming guesses can't be wrong.

Not upset. They're just wrong if it doesn't work out how they guessed it would.

Edit: Google it man. Not only can estimates be wrong, they are ALWAYS wrong.
seriously, you are just arguing to argue. I am done. 'about' doesn't have a defined amount of variable, and 30 seconds is bearly noticable... to the point that you CANT be acounting for every 20-30 seconds out of combat

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Personally, i just use exact 6 seconds round rather than an about number as spells and features don't have about durations but set one. So if an effect last 1 minute, it last 10 rounds, not about 10 which can be more or less such as between 7-13 rounds because a round about 6 seconds could be 4-8 seconds for exemple.

Personally, i just use exact 6 seconds round rather than an about number as spells and features don't have about durations but set one. So if an effect last 1 minute, it last 10 rounds, not about 10 which can be more or less such as between 7-13 rounds because a round about 6 seconds could be 4-8 seconds for exemple.
tbh i never track time down to a round... like you said minute duration is about 10 rounds, but i rarely if ever have a fight go past 6... so 1 minute basically becomes '1 fight' things that are 10 minutes or 1 hour (or more) I never track the seconds so no matter how many rounds of combat there are they just become rounding error.

Remove ads