Deepwood sniper summary?

hong

WotC's bitch
The second shipment of Masters of the Wild still hasn't reached Canberra yet, a week after the guy behind the counter said it would be here. I've put my name down for a copy; in the meantime, can someone please post a quick rundown on the deepwood sniper PrC? I'm just after the basics of what abilities it has. Thanks.

Slander

Explorer
I was real excited when this PrC was released; it was the type of PrC I had intended to build for my archer, but I think this one will fit the bill nicely. Jes a general rundown of their abilities.

All of the arrows a DWS shoots are considered to be Keen (it may be all ranged weapons, I don't remember off hand)

They get a per level range increment increase

The can reduce concealment percentages targets may have as they raise levels

They can increase the Crit Multiplier of ranged weapons as they raise

They eventually get True Strike once/day

All-in-all, I thought it was a well contructed PrC and generic enough for use in any campaign. And for me anyway, it will replace the OotBI as the archer PrC of choice.

Slander

Crothian

First Post
It's a good class. If I ever get to play in a campaign that starts at first and goes to Epic, I want a Arcane Archer/Deepwood Sniper. They don't need magical items to be effective. Max out both of those classes with a few fighter levels and wizard levels and you'd have one keen Bow using elf. :D

dvvega

Explorer
Hong, the book has been in Sydney for ages now, but that doesn't help you right? You should try ordering from Military Simulations.

As for the class, it's a good one. The basic abilities have been listed, and I'm guessing no one is going to give you the full text simply due to the (C) thing :)

A quick run down for flavour: the Deepwood Sniper is your fantasy equivalent of our modern Army Snipers. They get increases to a bow-weapon's range increment that go up per level (basically a Deep Wood Sniper get's an insane first range increment by 10th level). They must have Far Shot as a prerequisite as well which means these guys can hit you before you can even think about where they're coming from.

They are good at stealth activities, and general spotting and so forth.

There is one little error, at 4th or 5th level they get a Keen Weapon ability. This is in error - the original ability was changed and moved to first level.

Crothian: IMC, one of the characters has been holding off on the whole Prestige Class and sticking to their class ... UNTIL they saw the Deepwood Sniper. Now she wants to go for that class, and it suits her character perfectly. She's a bow expert (like DUH), and always prefers the long range attack and hidey hidey sneaky sneaky. She needs 2 more levels to get there I think from memory.

Last edited:

Jairami

First Post
With a range increment of 315 using a composite longbow (as a 10th level sniper), and given that projectile weapons can hit targets as much as 10 range increments out, that's 3,150 ft, or 60% of a mile. Of course you'd have a -20 to hit, but I get the feeling that's why the class grants the true strike ability. For that one shot outta nowhere..

Of course, assuming the DC to spot someone is zero, modified by distance, and at -1 per 10 ft. distance, that'd be what? -315 to your spot check to see someone at that range?

Even with my archer's Third Eye: Aware and the Eyes of the Eagle he intends to get combined with cosmopolitan:spot for +2, skill focus:spot for +2, elven racial bonus of +2, and 23 ranks in spot by the time he hits 20th level, that would only be a total +46 to his spot check. Taking 20, he'd get 66, able to spot a foe at 660 feet right?

I wonder if the ability to negate concealment by 30% would apply to not being able to see the target and his effective 50% miss chance for total concealment. It doesn't specifically say the concealment reduction only negates concealment granted by soft cover, and they threw the true strike in there as if anyone will be able to see more than one range increment to need it...

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Not to change the subject, but...

In this month's Dragon, they list a few more example Epic feats. One of them allows you to shoot a ranged weapon at anything in sight, without ranged modifiers. :eek:

"Hey, look at that little gray spot, way over there on the horizon. That must be the tower where that elven archer lives. He's dangerous, so it's a good thing we're five miles away... wait, what's that flying speck?" ::THOCK:: "Argh, my spleen!"

dvvega

Explorer
I'd prefer to puncture the lung myself :)

But if such a feat exists in Epic Levels, the Deepwood Sniper has become extremely deadly.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Not to change the subject, but...

AuraSeer said:
In this month's Dragon, they list a few more example Epic feats. One of them allows you to shoot a ranged weapon at anything in sight, without ranged modifiers. :eek:

"Hey, look at that little gray spot, way over there on the horizon. That must be the tower where that elven archer lives. He's dangerous, so it's a good thing we're five miles away... wait, what's that flying speck?" ::THOCK:: "Argh, my spleen!"

Well, the maximum range for a weapon is still 10 increments, so that would have to be one impressive longbow....

shilsen

Adventurer
Jairami said:
With a range increment of 315 using a composite longbow (as a 10th level sniper)...

Actually a 10th lvl sniper would have a range increment of 265. The Far Shot feat works off the base range (110 ft for a comp. longbow), making it 110 x 1.5 = 165 ft. That, plus the 100 ft (10 x 10) for a 10th lvl sniper makes it 265. Which is nothing to complain about, of course.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
I don't think that Spotting something is quite the same as seeing them unless 3rd Edition is trying to simulate one of those bad MMORPGs where the whole world turns to fog 100ft out. :)

If someone were trying to Hide from you half a mile away, then yes it would be nearly impossible to spot them. But if they are just walking down a road; I would not require a spot check (at least not with a -200 penalty) to see them.

Remove ads