Defining a decade with a song: 1970s

Henry

Autoexreginated
Something glam-disco, Like "Stayin Alive" or something like an Earth, Wind and Fire tune. Disco speaks very loudly for the pop culture of that generation, particularly the latter half.

reveal

Adventurer
Well, if I have to pick one song, I would pick "Stayin Alive" by the Bee Gees. It really pushed the whole Disco craze into the main stream. And we think of the 70's, we all think Disco. Even though it really only lasted for the last 2 or 3 years of the 70's.

The Shaman

First Post
nakia said:
This is the hardest one of the decades for me.
I agree, for many of the same reasons.

You have glam rock at the front end of the decade - "Ziggy Stardust" by David Bowie, "Virginia Plain" by Roxy Music - disco and punk in the latter half - "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees or "London Calling" by the Clash. There's also prog(ressive) rock to consider - "Roundabout" by Yes - and album-oriented rock - "More than a Feeling," by Boston, "Take it Easy" by the Eagles, or "Rock 'N Me" by Steve Miller Band.

I'm sorely tempted to pick "Rock 'N Me," but that would leave out a huge funk crossover audience, so my final answer?

"Shining Star," Earth, Wind, and Fire

nakia

First Post
Now, if you disqualified any song that has been used in a television commercial, would you have any songs left?

I ask because when The_Shaman mentioned "Rock 'N Me" (which is a good song), I immediately thought of that commerical where the amazingly white guys are camping outside playing guitar, mouthing the words to that song while Steve Miller plays over it. What was that, a jeans commerical?

And while "Stairway to Heaven" hasn't been in a commerical, "Rock and Roll" was the Cadillac theme song for awhile.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack. . .

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases