D&D 5E Definitions, please! What are Bounded Accuracy and RAW?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
shields +X should not exist or +X bonus from armor and shields should not stack.

"Should not" is a philosophical argument. The artificer infusions power explicitly includes shields, and IIRC by RAW what you get is Plate armor that is AC 19, and a shield that grants +3AC, so the modifiers do effectively stack.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
It doesn't require mega stats, but it completely uses up a class feature (the Infusions). And where's a 3rd level character getting the money for plate armor?
Isn't there a set of plate (needing repair, IIRC) in the first Saltmarsh adventure? Granted, low-level characters might not be able to afford even the repairs, and I think the party I was in decided the more-morally-correct thing to do was to return it to the wearer's kin, but not everyone will do that.

Horwath

Legend
"Should not" is a philosophical argument. The artificer infusions power explicitly includes shields, and IIRC by RAW what you get is Plate armor that is AC 19, and a shield that grants +3AC, so the modifiers do effectively stack.
That is why I said "should not" and not "does not"

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
FWIW, these examples are good ones of why we don't allow either Warforged or Artificers at our tables. One of the most OP races and broken classes IMO.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
FWIW, these examples are good ones of why we don't allow either Warforged or Artificers at our tables. One of the most OP races and broken classes IMO.
Exactly. I just had that combo in my last game, Warforged Artificer powerful PC at 5th level.

House rules solve some of this. Shield is a +1 to AC for every three caster levels. No numerical bonus on any armor or shield (just cool abilities). Point buy to eliminate very high ability scores at low levels. It helps some with the AC problem.

Horwath

Legend
And the GM has let attainable treasure of such value into the game that early because... why, exactly?
Orog, CR2, plate armor
Knight, CR3, plate armor,

any single of those is an easy picking for 3rd level party, even 2nd level party.

or maybe they break in into local blacksmith.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases