Describing is Seeing (and more)

5ekyu

Hero
Disclaimer: This is not about hidden stuff, lighting and senses or detailed investigations or those kinds of things. This is about stuff that are by any normal in-game reasonable presentation noticed.

So, recently have seen games where the GM starts describing a room or scene thrn stops, waiting for PC response after giving a detailed description of one or two things but leaving a lot of stuff out that are there.

Example...

You enter the room and see a pit 10' widein which blah blah blah pit descriptions What do you do?

Is there anything else in the room I see?

Describe stuff like tables shelves.

Are there any exits or is this is?

Yeah, there is a corridor across the way leading to a staircase. There is a lever over there.

Now maybe it's me but I try and describe at least the big obvious "things you can interact with" in my initial descriptions before stopping for player interaction. Not great detail on any one but at least a laundry list of the "stuff that might matter".

For instance, I tend to focus on priorities like
Obvious dangers to you now (creatures, moving effects, etc.)
Obvious dangers other than those ( pits, broken floors, crumbling roof.)
Exits and entrances
Major furnishings
Anything "active"

Typically I also try to hit sights, sounds and smells in that initial pitch.

Likely a few other things but touch on these and then go into other details when asked.

How do you handle the basics of describing "after opening the door..."

What tips on those initial descriptions would you give yo less experienced GM?

sim-h

Explorer
I'd agree with you. As a DM the number one thing you want to avoid is a player saying "But you never said that was there, otherwise I'd never have done x!" or "Of course I'd have done y if I'd known about that exit!"

So yeah, the DM needs to decide what in the room or scene might inform the character's initial actions, and expand from there based on what they focus on.

For me, the way I do this is to imagine myself as one or each party member going in to the room, and try to cater to what I would want to know, if I was that character.

S'mon

Legend
This is one reason I like sketching stuff on Battlemat. At least it covers really obvious things like giant pits, doors, tunnels out etc.

5ekyu

Hero
Added question for those who know or care...

Are there "style guide" elements for room/scene descriptions defined for or used for official sources?

Describe size, then lighting, then exits blah blah and end with creatures - that kinda thing?

Would they help if there were?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Agreed, the DM is the interface between the world the characters live in and the players. The players should get at the very least anything obvious. The goal would be for the characters to get everything their Passive Perception would let them know, though with a complex area they may need a bit to take it all in so defaulting back to just the obvious works.

alienux

Explorer
I always try to be as descriptive as possible without over doing it and making it boring by giving too many details. I do want players to know what important things are there and what can be examined, but I also want to leave some of the details for them to discover, because discovery is rewarding.

aco175

Legend
I try to first describe the room and take a side, front, side approach. I try to not give too many details for the obvious thing to search later.

The door creaks open revealing a well-lit room roughly 30x40ft with a small alcove along the left about 10x10ft. In the alcove is a large, wooden coffin with the lid partly ajar. Strange runes and symbols are painted onto the coffin and floor before the alcove area. Two stone statues of soldiers with animal heads flank the alcove. The far side of the room has a torch set into the wall next to a closed door. The right side of the room contains two more of the statues with animal heads, but the flank a set of ornate double doors made of metal. A strange blue light pulses around the cracks of the door from the other side along with low chanting.
As you begin to enter, the 4 statues creak to life and move to attack with their spears. Roll for initiative.

I mostly use tiles and try to point to things as I describe the room. Sometimes a crate tile may double for a table or such and the players need to know that up front. Enough description to let the PCs know that there is a threat with the statues that needs to be dealt with. Also the room with the chanting may hear fighting and send reinforcements so the mage or other squishy may not want to go there. The coffin with the paint could prove clues if the paint is fresh or used in a ceremony. Then the room with chanting and strange blue light is next, or do the PCs want to explore the end room before going to the more obvious danger behind the ornately carved doors. What symbols are on the door or what metal is it made from, etc...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yea, describing the environment well is definitely one of the aspects of DMing that's really driven by your experience DMing and, realistically, your overall storytelling skill as a DM. Ideally, you can communicate the following:

1) a sense of scale (overall size of the environment)
2) a sense of atmosphere (the "feel" of the environment)
3) a sense of purpose (what the environment is used for, or could be used for)
4) the features of the environment (and obvious interactions that can be attempted by the PCs)

The trick is not to do it as some sort of checklist. Speak actively, and always describe the sensations the characters are experiencing, not merely the attributes of the environment. Describe size in terms of characters reach and movement, for example. An altar isn't 10' across the room, it's within your arms reach if you take a step forward. The ceiling isn't 40' high, rather, the sounds of your boots on the hard stone floor echo from the rafters high above your head.

Communicating specific information to one character is a good way to get them to pay more attention and communicate. Describe natural features, like plants growing and what type they are, to nature focused characters. Describe book titles or magical equipment to the wizard or lore focused character. Talk about stuff on the ground to the halfling or gnome in the party. Play up a PC's unique perspective whenever possible.

The flipside is that when the players ask questions "as players", don't get cute with descriptions. You don't have to give out information they haven't earned, but try to be as clear as possible as to the possible effects and consequences of any action they take. Be upfront if they're taking a risk, because they often don't see it that way. If they're searching for information, ask clearly if they're willing to move their character into different positions to find this information and what this new position will be in the environment. If they want to search the evil altar, they have to walk all the way around the altar, they can't check it from the doorway. If you're looking for books, you have to go get the ladder from the opposite wall and move it around, because the bookshelves are 15' high.

pogre

Legend
The key is to have everything properly represented in terrain and miniatures!

Just kidding - that's just me...

I agree with you OP. As you say, obvious dangers are going to dominate the initial impressions of the encounter with all of the visible details coming after facing the danger.

Isn’t that classic Gyagax adventures?

“You open a door into a 20X20 foot room. There is an expensive tapestry on the wall of a prancing horse ridden by a Knight who has a Phoenix feather on his helmet. The knights eyes evoke mystery and power. On the writing desk across the way is a gilded ink pen with the words, “for melva”

“Anything else?”

“Yes, there are also 6 angry orcs.”

Description is story-telling.

I’m guilty of forgetting details but usually because I find it more difficult to give a good description as the night wears on and fatigue is setting in.

Like you, I try to describe all the pertinent details and save the smaller details for when they have the time to notice them. I’ll give a broad description. Lighting is important and so is smells, especially if it’s a clue to something else, like foreshadowing a hidden encounter. “This room has a pungent smell of rotted leaves or a stagnant pond.” Might hint at some kind of creature lying in wait.

Remove ads