D&D 5E Desperately need help, trying to catch up to party.

ElseEight

First Post
So I am trying to figure out why my character lacks so much damage in combat. I am well below the average of the rest of my party. I will add in below the classes we are playing and our average damage. I will also added my character sheet, hope it helps. Also I am fairly new to 5e, I have always played 3.5.

Me: Human Fighter (Melee), I usually average around 30 damage per turn.

Goliath Barbarian averages, about 100 damage per turn.

Human Fighter (Ranged), averages about 110 damage per turn.

Half-Elf rogue, averages about 70 damage per turn.

Half-elf ranger, averages about 65 damage per turn.

Human cleric, he usually just spends his time healing.

Attachments

• 5-0 Human fighter.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 269

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Goliath Barbarian averages, about 100 damage per turn.

Human Fighter (Ranged), averages about 110 damage per turn.

At level 8, something is seriously wrong with this.

Also your stats and AC are completely ridiculous. I'm going to go ahead and guess that things are all over the place for the other characters too. They probably have maxed stats, tons of magic items, feats, and some bonus house rules. I see you have something called 'human determination'.

It looks like the game is off the rails. 5e is based around bounded accuracy and there is nothing bounded about this.

6 players is also a lot for 5e to handle. It works really well with 4, but with 6 threats really need to be increased which increases the potential for lopsided fights (one side easily wipes out the other).

You're basically playing a very high level game at level 8.

I'm not sure anyone can help you because we don't know what is going on in your game. It is clear that it isn't standard 5e and any advice we would have would pertain to that.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Your attatched character sheet is blank for me, so I can’t really see where your character might be lacking. It also seems like the rest of the party is putting out incredibly high dpr for their level (assuming the above post suggesting you are 8th level is accurate). I’m not sure what’s up with that. Does your DM hand out a lot of magic items or use a lot of house rules?

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
You have created a ....monster :eek:

I'm guessing the fighter has.... Defense Style for the +1 AC? And for some reason, folks have missed how Heavy Armor doesn't let you add your Dex bonus to AC. With the +1 magical bonus, and if that assumption is correct then yeah, ok AC 25

Thing is, as [MENTION=6748898]ad_hoc[/MENTION] alludes to, if something as straight-forward as an AC calculation is so... off from the actual core rules then you're playing in La La land. Lordy knows what crazy rule pretzel readings have been taken with regards to the other characters.

Do you have a complete break down of the house rules involved & the other table member's character sheets?

ElseEight

First Post
Human determination is a feat, and from what I am tracking (like I said I'm pretty new to 5e) the only actual home brew rule we have doesn't apply to characters directly. Also how are my stats and AC ridiculous? (not being a dick just trying to figure it out)

ElseEight

First Post
[MENTION=6846794]Gardens & Goblins[/MENTION] I know DEX modifier is not suppose to add into AC because of heavy armor, but that is the only way I can even attempt to keep up with the other players. Hell if I didn't add it I would have the lowest AC in the group.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
5e is seemingly, for better or worse, built around the standard array / point buy. Which makes sense - you can't readily design around rolling as the results are simply so varied.

Anyhoo, assuming a character is built with the standard array, they're looking at:

15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

Assuming a Strength focused melee fighter character took Ability Score improvements at 4th, 6th & 8th, we'd be looking at something like 20 Str, 12 Dex, 16 Con, 10 Int, 14 Wis, 8 Cha

Compare this to your character's stat line and you'll see how far above and beyond the 'standard' it is. And of course, you don't add Dex bonuses to AC when wearing Heavy Armour.

Seeing such dependencies with your character naturally raises a few questions with regards to the rest of the table's characters - and if your character's stat line and AC rules are an example of what is 'standard' for your table then there's little folks not at your table/using your table's rules can suggest. In many ways, at least for your table and mine, we're playing a different game.

ElseEight

First Post
[MENTION=6846794]Gardens & Goblins[/MENTION] I didn't know 5e was built around point buy, because we all rolled for our stats just like in 3.5. I also just called my DM and pretty much asked why everyone else is saying this stuff is wrong, and he said that he knows our AC/DPS/Stats are really high for level 8. He said that he is doing things on his side that we don't see to make it fair. Personally not sure what that it but I am sending him my character sheet now so he can completely review it and balance it out, I am assuming he is now going to be doing the same thing with the other players.

aco175

Legend
At 8th level the party I last played with did a lot less damage. The fighter would most likely hit once, maybe twice per turn. He did like 20 points of damage averaging 1.5hits per round. The thief did good damage with around 25 points if he hit. The rest of the party was in the 10 points range.

We played with point buy PCs with no feats which tends to lower the DPR. I do not know how my party does in relation to other parties.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
@Gardens & Goblins I didn't know 5e was built around point buy, because we all rolled for our stats just like in 3.5. I also just called my DM and pretty much asked why everyone else is saying this stuff is wrong, and he said that he knows our AC/DPS/Stats are really high for level 8. He said that he is doing things on his side that we don't see to make it fair. Personally not sure what that it but I am sending him my character sheet now so he can completely review it and balance it out, I am assuming he is now going to be doing the same thing with the other players.

To clarify, I'm assuming it's designed around the standard array - or at least a base line in that ball park because.. well, practicalities.

And also, just for the gurners at the back of the bus, rolling for stats is totally aok. Having characters with big stat lines is also totally aok. Disregarding Heavy Armour rules with regards to Dex bonus? Yup, also totally aok.

...if the table is having fun.

From your post it seems like you are not.

As you've made clear, your DM is running a fair few thing 'on his side'. Without knowing what these things are - what tweaks have been made, what house-rules are being used and the details of the other character's in play, it's impossible to provide you with nice, neat, quantitative suggestions regarding what you can do to improve your character's damage in combat.

Which leaves us with something more touchy-feely. Specifically, you need to talk to you DM. Let them know how you feel. And hope they can adjust whatever things they're taking care of on their side to improve your gaming experience.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases