D&D 5E Dhampir teleporting onto a wall. Stick or fall?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Dhampir Wildfire Druid level 3 so Spider Climb and Fiery Teleportation are both available. What happens when:

a) Teleporting to a wall

b) Teleporting to a ceiling within reach

Do you stick, fall, or turn upside down if on ceiling. I'm assuming the answer is talk to you DM.

I'm assuming the answer is talk to you DM.
The answer is always talk to your DM. However, in this instance, there's no specific reason to think otherwise. They are transported to an area where a constant ongoing transit mode they have (they have an innate climb speed) is applicable, and thus would normally be able to use it. If not, and the DM applied the same logic universally, you would have the situation where birds could be teleported to a spot in mid-air, but plummet to the ground because their flying movement is for some reason not applicable.

aco175

Legend
I would likely allow the wall but might not allow you to suddenly stick to the ceiling. You do not teleport to that space, you teleport to the adjacent space. If you suddenly appear under the ceiling you start to fall before you can grab the ceiling. This is why I can see grabbing the wall and not the ceiling. I could also see something like a DC 15 Acrobatics check to do it.

I would likely allow the wall but might not allow you to suddenly stick to the ceiling. You do not teleport to that space, you teleport to the adjacent space. If you suddenly appear under the ceiling you start to fall before you can grab the ceiling. This is why I can see grabbing the wall and not the ceiling. I could also see something like a DC 15 Acrobatics check to do it.
Fiery Teleportation is a short range ability - the caster can see the point they are aiming for, so they can put themselves as close to the ceiling as they like.

aco175

Legend
Fiery Teleportation is a short range ability - the caster can see the point they are aiming for, so they can put themselves as close to the ceiling as they like.
Fiery Teleportation. The spirit and each willing creature of your choice within 5 feet of it teleport up to 1 5 feet to unoccupied spaces you can see. Then each creature within 5 feet of the space that the spirit left must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC or take ld6 + PB fire damage.

I might see it different, in that the target is an unoccupied space you can see, which is 5x5ft. Allowing you to teleport 1mm from the wall or ceiling might start to open other ideas such as : Sure, there are tables and chairs in that space, but I am aiming for the 1ft space behind the chair and wall where I can fit if I get skinny, so it is like unoccupied.

I cannot seem to find a good outline of what is considered unoccupied. most people seem to think it is no people and objects. Allowing teleportation into a space in the air might also mean that one should be able to teleport into a space with tables and chairs since they could land on the table and not the possibility of being fused with the table taking damage, or just having the spell wasted. Allowing the teleport to target the 5ft space above the table and just saying that you will land on your feet on the table seems odd as well.

Remove ads