• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Diamond-tipped arrows?

Dirigible

Explorer
Would it work? Would an arrow or a bolt tipped with a cut diamond make a useful weapon (perhaps superior to steel, which is why it occured to me), or would it shatter along its cleavage lines upon impacting armour?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Well, diamonds are known for their resiliency. Personally, I'd allow them to penetrate armor and deal normal damage, but would make them rather expensive.

Nailom

First Post
Diamonds are very hard, but they shutter like glas (well not so easy) if they hit another hard surface with enough force.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Nailom said:
Diamonds are very hard, but they shutter like glas (well not so easy) if they hit another hard surface with enough force.
A magically treated diamond though, could well have a chance to penetrate steel armor. According to the DMG2nd Ed. A diamond is worth 5000 gp. :uhoh:

Lobo Lurker

First Post
It would be hideously expensive and not very effective I think. Upon striking hardened steel or iron, I think it might fracture or shatter, despite being harder than either of those materials.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I'm pretty sure a diamond cut into an arrowhead would more than likely shatter upon striking.

Diamonds are very HARD, but hardness isn't the same as strength. It's like titanium. It's very hard, but unless it's mixed into an alloy, pretty much crap for building anything. Why? Because it's TOO hard. Instead of giving in any direction, it just shatters.

"Diamond Tipped" saws and the like have pretty much "diamond dust" on the blades, which takes advantage of diamond's great compression strength and the myriad little edges to grind away material. On a minute level it's not so much "cutting" as it is "grinding" along a very thin line.

--fje

lukelightning

First Post
I would definitely NOT give diamond arrows any armor-piercing ability. At best I'd give them the ability to overcome DR/adamantine. After all, the word "adamantine" comes from the same root as diamond.

Sejs

First Post
As has already been mentioned, in the real world it'd be a bad idea. Diamonds are hard, but they are brittle.

But hey, it's a fantasy game so there's bound to be some way to make it work. Diamond tipped arrows treated with a version of the old Glassteel spell or something similar. Treat them as adamantine and you're set. Same mechanics, just a different manifestation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads