D&D (2024) Did Someone Cast Remove Disease?

aco175

Legend
I went to a convention last weekend and the paladin being to remove disease kind of nerfed a whole plot point. Not sure if it was cool for us, or bad for the adventure and the higher tension it would have created if half the party was infected with worms.

Stalker0

Legend
It’s pretty rare that I’ve seen disease even come up in D&D. Sometimes low-level adventurers will feature excursions into a sewer and/or diseased rats, sometimes DMs will use a zombie disease, and sometimes lycanthropy is treated like a disease rather than a curse, and that’s about it.
On the flip side, disease immunity has been a thing for paladins for a long time, and it’s not that strong and ability, mostly ribbon until that once in a blue moon occasion. So why remove it?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I've used Lesser Restoration (with Clerics) to buy goodwill in new towns. NPCs are always sick, and helaing them improves their disposition.

On the flip side, disease immunity has been a thing for paladins for a long time, and it’s not that strong and ability, mostly ribbon until that once in a blue moon occasion. So why remove it?
I mean, it's a ribbon feature until it interjects to spoil the DM's plans. It's kind of just one more thing hemming in what sort of challenges DMs can effectively throw at players, and one more thing DM's have to remember when planning, while at the same time being something that will never come up at the average table.

I'd say the better move would be to make it part of a larger, high level ribbon feature. At level 18 you are immune to disease, you never age, and your teeth always stay pearly white, or something. Then we still get the flavor, but the inconvenience of remembering it is shunted off to the levels people don't play.

Remove ads