D&D General Did you get your start playing D&D, and what do you play now?

What RPG did you start with, and what do you play now?

• I was introduced through D&D, and only play D&D

Votes: 36 19.4%
  • I was introduced through D&D, and play both D&D and other RPGs

Votes: 106 57.0%
  • I was introduced through D&D, and only play non-D&D RPGs

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • I was introduced through a non-D&D RPG, and only play D&D

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I was introduced through a non-D&D RPG, and play both D&D and other RPGs

Votes: 21 11.3%
  • I was introduced through a non-D&D RPG, and only play non-D&D RPGs

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I will not be quantified, by you or anyone else!

Votes: 2 1.1%

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I was introduced to D&D with one session of Holmes Basic. After that is was Basic Moldvay. Played all other editions of D&D over the course of the last 41 years. Did play a few science-fiction games along the way but they never stuck. Always went back to D&D.

Currently, I haven't played D&D since May 2020. My default system is AGE by Green Ronin. I GM Fantasy AGE, Modern AGE and The Expanse AGE in rotation with two groups.

Not looking to get back into D&D nor are my current groups.

You may get different results if you post this question in the TTRPG General section.

Last edited:

LoganRan

Explorer
Started with Moldvay Basic in 1981 (the Erol Otus cover for the box set is one of two iconic images for me when I think of TTRPG). Quickly transitioned to Gygax AD&D (aka 1E) after my family moved (the Dave Trampier PHB cover is the second iconic image) and played that throughout middle and high school. Our group also played Champions frequently with some other games occasionally sprinkled in (Gamma World, Top Secret).

After a long hiatus, I tried 3E and PF but found them too "crunchy" for my taste, skipped 4E, gave 5E a decent try (played for a few months) but have generally found that modern games just don't do it for me.

So, now I don't play any longer as I am primarily interested in older versions of D&D or more niche systems that no one else seems interested in playing. I could try to find online games, I suppose, but am not really a fan of the remote gaming dynamic.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I was introduced to RPGs by the Mentzer Red Box. D&D is still my main games (AD&D, 5e and a little bit of OSE currently), but I play other games. In the last year: CoC, Scum & Glory, Ironsworn and Symbaroum.

pukunui

Legend
I started with AD&D 2e. Have played pretty much every other edition of D&D, including Pathfinder, at least once. I’ve also played FATE and a few other non-D&D RPGs.

These days it’s all 5e. I’m currently running two games and playing in a third.

pogre

Legend
For folks my age and older who started as kids we had to start with D&D because that's all there was for a window of time in the mid 1970s. We tried lots of other games as they came out - Traveller, Runequest, Gamma World, Boothill, Gangbusters, CoC, etc., but always came back to D&D for our longer campaigns.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Started with Boot Hill. Then played Top Secret. Then Star Frontiers. Last was D&D and Traveller around the same time. All from around 1978-1984.

These days it is primarily D&D, although I am looking forward to playing the second edition of The One Ring once it releases.

Assuming that AD&D counts as D&D started with 1e, played some Red Box, but 2e was my (A)D&D, played it enough that I got burned off the game, moved to Rolemaster, then GURPS and WoD. Only came back to D&D towards the end of 3e, literally bought the books about 3 months before 3.5 came out, quickly drifted away from 3.5, tried pathfinder found it made the bits I disked about 3.5 more prominent, so left both games played other things until 5e came out, discovered that I liked it and stuck with 5e from there on in. Though I do play other systems (though not Rolemaster or GURPS because I played them too much back in the day). Now about a third of what I play is D&D, the other 2 thirds are other stuff, mostly non fantasy stuff, since I find D&D works to cover my fantasy itch.

Laurefindel

Legend
I was introduced to "D&D" through a medieval-fantasy live action roleplaying game. Then brought to the table to the game that was "like the LARP, but we sit around a table and play with pen, paper, and minis".

Now I play both D&D and other RPGs. Now that the kids have grown, maybe I'll start LARPing again. Probably to run out of breath after the first 15 seconds of combat...

Remove ads