D&D General Did you get your start playing D&D, and what do you play now?

What RPG did you start with, and what do you play now?

• I was introduced through D&D, and only play D&D

Votes: 36 19.4%
  • I was introduced through D&D, and play both D&D and other RPGs

Votes: 106 57.0%
  • I was introduced through D&D, and only play non-D&D RPGs

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • I was introduced through a non-D&D RPG, and only play D&D

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I was introduced through a non-D&D RPG, and play both D&D and other RPGs

Votes: 21 11.3%
  • I was introduced through a non-D&D RPG, and only play non-D&D RPGs

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I will not be quantified, by you or anyone else!

Votes: 2 1.1%

GuyBoy

Hero
I started with the white box set in 1976 whilst at school, and have played all editions since though I largely avoided 4e. Back in the day, I also played Runequest, Traveller, Bushido and a bit of Chivalry & Sorcery. Even played Bifrost if anyone remembers that. More recently, I played a lot of Pathfinder but became a bit disenchanted due to bloat ( my opinion only, no aspertions cast) as well as Rogue Trader and WFRP, both of which I enjoyed immensely. Lots of talented people in the world, putting out great games.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (First Edition) all the way back in 1993. Never "switched" to 2e, since I'd been using 2e books fairly seamlessly with my 1e books for years-- but I did have a torrid love affair with Player's Option.

I have played a whole Hell of a lot of other games since then. I'm not going to attempt to name them all.

If by "still playing D&D" you mean still playing the in-print and supported edition of D&D published by Wizards of the Coast... the answer is no, I haven't really played that for a few years. If you mean actual old school D&D, the answer is yes, and if you're including Pathfinder and unofficial retroclones of D&D, the answer is also yes.

I'm also still playing a number of other games regularly: mostly Alternity and Street Fighter, some Barbarians of Lemuria, and various Cortex games.

Yaarel

He Mage
I started with D&D and prefer D&D. I try to make D&D do what I need it to do, and it generally does.

I have played other games, and enjoyed them, but havent stuck with them, so didnt count them.

I am resistant to learning new gaming engines. I would have to know ahead of time, that it does things I care about better than D&D does, before I would make any effort to learn a new system. Things that might tempt me would be a better ability score system, along with a strong reputation for customization and gaming balance.

I am looking forward to the new Cortex, and will check it out. I am unaware about how balanced the system is.

Hence: I was introduced through D&D, and only play D&D.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
I started with D&D 3.5, started GMing with D&D 4E, began experimenting with other systems (Savage Worlds, Pathfinder, WoD, etc) shortly after. Got into D&D 5E, fell out of love with it. While I do still play a few D&D-adjacent games, I haven't played a game of D&D proper in years.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I used your last option, because all the rest would, from where I sit, be deceptive. I absolutely started with D&D (around 45 years ago now), bailed out on it for decades, came back for a while with the 3e period, and then bailed again. I'm manifestly uninterested in any version of D&D proper (though I'll at least give a tip of my hat to some parts of 4e), but on the other hand I've played both Shadow of the Demon Lord and Pathfinder 2e in the last few years, and wouldn't write-off 13th Age out of hand. So I don't know if they count as "D&D" for the question.

I play all kinds of other things, many of them non-fantasy.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I started with the Mentzer red box, and am not playing 5e with two groups and have another group that rotates between various non-dnd games, currently Blades in the Dark.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I started with D&D (Red box, 1E, 2E, 3E, Pathfinder, 5E) and have played Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Villains & Vigilantes, Marvel Super Heroes (both FASERIP and SAGA <--- the best superhero game I've played), DC Heroes, Call of Cthluhu, Vampire: The Masquerade, TMNT & Other Strangeness, Amber Diceless, Mutants & Masterminds, Star Wars (d6 and d20), Hong Kong Action Theater, Supercrew and countless other one-shots and dabblings I cannot recall. But the truth is, we always come back to D&D

I was introduced to RPGs in 3rd or 4th grade by a kid who was 14 or 15. The original Top Secret. I was immediately hooked. Throughout grade school I played Top Secret, Traveller, 2300 AD, Gamma World, Twilight: 2000, Marvel Super Heroes, Battletech, Cyberpunk, Star Frontiers, Star Wars, and more. And, of course, D&D.

I'm in my 40s. In adulthood I fell out of the hobby for many years as an active player but never stopped collecting. I jumped back in about four years when my daughter was born and I needed a social outlet.

In 2021 I've played a lot of D&D 5E. I have also played (or am planning to play) Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Night's Black Agents, and D6 Star Wars.

I love RPGs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases