D&D General Did you get your start playing D&D, and what do you play now?

What RPG did you start with, and what do you play now?

• I was introduced through D&D, and only play D&D

Votes: 36 19.4%
  • I was introduced through D&D, and play both D&D and other RPGs

Votes: 106 57.0%
  • I was introduced through D&D, and only play non-D&D RPGs

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • I was introduced through a non-D&D RPG, and only play D&D

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I was introduced through a non-D&D RPG, and play both D&D and other RPGs

Votes: 21 11.3%
  • I was introduced through a non-D&D RPG, and only play non-D&D RPGs

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I will not be quantified, by you or anyone else!

Votes: 2 1.1%

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Started with Moldvay/Mentzer D&D and branched out from there pretty early. Nowadays, my group has played multi-session games of D&D, Blades in the Dark, FFG's Star Wars, Deadlines (via Savage Worlds), and one-shots of even more systems.

dave2008

Legend
There wasn't really a category that felt correct for me, but I chose first one. A more accurate description be:

I started playing D&D, I have played other RPGs, but I currently only play D&D.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I started playing 2e with my father and some family friends, then 3rd edition. When I got out of high school, I met a few of the people that are now in my current D&D group and we played 4th edition. I continued playing 4e until the official builder went offline and the group has transitioned to 5th edition and have played that ever since. I've never tried any other TTRPG system, though a few have been recommended by some of my friends.

Started to play in 1980 with D&D my DM had the white box and we switched to AD&D a year later. Got my Moldvay box at 12 and stared to DM right there and through all editions.

But I have played:" Star Frontier, Star Wars WEG, Call of Cthulhu, Black Eye, Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Heroes, Marvel, Palladium games ( Fantasy, Rifts, Supernatural, Robotech, Nightspawn and a few others), GURPS, Role Master, Space Master, Paranoia, Warhammer and a fee one shot tries I don't even remember their names. I do have the Battletech RPG and the technical readouts but never acually played... So yeah, I did play a lot and still play a lot.

When I started there wasn't much choice. I started with Holmes box set, then moved to AD&D when the players handbook was published a few months later. I've played, and enjoyed 1st, 3rd and 5th. My primary game in HERO/Champions, and I play Modern Age, Genesys and Cypher and some Pathfinder 1st ed. We tend towards heavier/crunchier systems, so 5E is a "popcorn" game that my wife and I do solo.

Last edited:

Fox Lee

Explorer
I think the first TTRPG I played was actually Judge Dredd? D&D 2e was almost my first, but not quite, and I didn't become heavily invested in D&D until 3/3.5e. I've tried lots of systems since then, but D&D 4e is my forever girl. (I really wanted to love Exalted, but it just didn't work out; I needed someone more mechanically reliable.)

The next most popular thing my group enjoys these days is a bit of Blades in the Dark, and related variants.

Haiku Elvis

Knuckle-dusters, glass jaws and wooden hearts.
Basic and Expert box sets then 2e AD&D before being seduced by the new sexy excitement of the World of Darkness ( l still like Mage and Changeling settings but the "ooh I'm a Vampire feel my pain" appeal has waned since my teenage years.) I was in a heavily modded Nadia: secret of blue water themed Castle Falkenstein game for a while in the late 90s which makes me a) cool and b) old. Then I moved abroad and fell out of touch with rpgs for a long while. I've dabbled in the odd non D&D game here and there mostly one shots and I'm feeling the itch to get back into a long regular campaign and although trying some of the wealth of interesting new systems that have sprung up recently (i.e less than 20 years old) is where my heart lies, I suspect it'll be easier to find a group playing 5e that'll meet my scheduling needs plus so much has changed since I last played it would be interesting to see what it's like.

Remove ads