Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I would say two things would make for hard mode

get rid of death saves

change the short And long rest as described in dmg

I don’t think u need to change ability scores are all

2 more things

use ad&d firing into melee rules

change casting time of all healing spells to a minimum of 1 round.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer

get rid of death saves

2 more things

To me, just increasing monster hp or lower pc ability scores is kind of boring.

Geoarrge

Explorer
You know that a long rest doesn't consume 8 real world hours, right? It can take seconds. Don't get me wrong, I don't think this change will do anything except make the players rest more, but I don't see why that would make the game play slower.

For me, the main appeal of extended recovery times is what the bad guys are able to do in the time it takes for the PCs to get back on their feet. More interesting developments can occur given a longer time, especially when limited to nonmagical travel and communication.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I normally move the objective of a dungeon if they have to take a long rest before completing their objective at a dungeon or stronghold. Basically the mcguffin is taken to a new location. I’m sorry your princess is in another castle. Something along those lines. The time constraint normally forces more encounters before a long rest.

For me, the main appeal of extended recovery times is what the bad guys are able to do in the time it takes for the PCs to get back on their feet. More interesting developments can occur given a longer time, especially when limited to nonmagical travel and communication.

I suppose, but to me that's just adding more gameplay. The game is still going on even if progress through the narrative of the game has changed. That's not stopping the game.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I suppose, but to me that's just adding more gameplay. The game is still going on even if progress through the narrative of the game has changed. That's not stopping the game.
I found it speeded up game play. They had to get everything done before a long rest or start over. Move to another dungeon because the objective left. They didn’t want that to happen so they had to be more careful and get through the encounters without expending resources or bypass through stealth an encounter if they could.

I found it speeded up game play. They had to get everything done before a long rest or start over. Move to another dungeon because the objective left. They didn’t want that to happen so they had to be more careful and get through the encounters without expending resources or bypass through stealth an encounter if they could.

Again, that doesn't sound like speeding up game play. It's accelerating the progress of the adventure narrative. Like no matter what happens next, the PCs will always move to "the next dungeon". It doesn't matter to game play if the big bad at the end of the next dungeon is the guy who got away from the last dungeon, or if he's the boss of the guy who was defeated at the end of the last dungeon. It might make your players less satisfied or more frustrated if they're often unable to progress the narrative... but, again, that's not because game play had to stop. It's because the narrative changed.

An example of rules actually slowing down the game is like 1e psionic combat where 10 rounds of psionic combat take place for every 1 round of normal combat. Every round of combat for the non-psionic characters, you have to stop and do 10 rounds of combat with the psionic characters. For non-psionics, the game literally stops while you resolve this other thing.

An example of rest mechanics slowing down the game would be if the DM said that PCs recover 8 free HD worth of hit points instead of recovering all hit points at the end of a long rest. Firstly, this is virtually the same as recovering 100% of your hit points for most of the game, and secondly, it involves a lot of dice rolling that doesn't actually accomplish much in the game. It's a bad rule because it makes the table waste time with dice rolling on events that aren't interesting.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!

get rid of death saves

2 more things

Its been a while since I looked at those but I like the idea.

In my Swords and Wizardry game if you fire into melee you have an equal shot at hitting anyone in that melee since its free flowing and chaotic. When we play that after playing in the backup 5e game for a few sessions it takes a bit for the players to get back into the mindset of shooting into a melee situation is a bad idea and you better draw steel.

Tony Vargas

Legend
In my Swords and Wizardry game if you fire into melee you have an equal shot at hitting anyone in that melee since its free flowing and chaotic. When we play that after playing in the backup 5e game for a few sessions it takes a bit for the players to get back into the mindset of shooting into a melee situation is a bad idea and you better draw steel.
Y'know, oddly, that kind of firing into melee rule makes a lot more sense in TotM (which 5e nominally defaults to), than if you're using mini's & a grid, like in 3.x, and can check line-of-effect to apply cover &c.

Remove ads