• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Di'Fier Anton: The Making of a Watchman

DiFier

First Post
The next day a new family moved into the vacant house down the street. Famiur Onerakor was a highly ranked guild wizard from Highgate and a magus of the 6th circle. Di'Fier's mother had met him when he had visited months ago. She said that he decided to come to Freeport because he was tired of being a small fish in a big pond. He was moving to Freeport with his wife and his daughter. The daughter was around Di'Fier's age.

That evening the Onerakor family was coming over for dinner. Uncle Fenwick would be there as well as the Leliron family from down the street and a few other guild families from the neighborhood.

His mother brought over the family and introduced them and ending with "Di'Fier why don't you and Kenna go and play."

Di'Fier didn't want to play with a girl. He wanted to have fun. At least he wouldn't end up tearing his good cloths. "Come on." He said. He wasn't sure what girls liked to do but he guessed that Kenna liked boring things like playing with dolls or playing house. Maybe they could play cards. He led her to the front parlor. Di'Fier's father was sitting in a chair reading a book. His father never read unless his mother invited wizards over. He looked like he didn't want to be bothered which was of course the case. Quite a few of the Freeport's wizards were a little snobby and overbearing. "Let’s try the other parlor." He said leading Kenna toward the back of the house. He heard Uncle Fenwic's voice booming from the room. Di'Fier continued past the door to the parlor "Nevermind. You wanna go outside?"

"Sure." She said.

They walked through the kitchen and out the back door. They were in the small walled in back yard. The walls were covered with ivy; his father's garden was in the far corner and an old oak tree in the center. "I can climb that tree up to my room on the third floor" He said trying to think of something to say.

"Really? How? There are no low branches."

He smiled "watch" but instead of heading for the tree he walked toward the back wall. As they approached the wall the vines seemed to begin to flow slightly. He smiled as she watched he whispered the word "Fédith" and the vines stopped moving. "They're enchanted, keeps people from climbing in."

"What did you tell them?"

"That’s a secret." He smiled and put his hands through the vines and then climbed up the wall quickly. He stood on the top of the wall for a second and then he jumped across a gap catching a branch and shimmying across it to the center of the tree. He looked down at the ground. She wasn't there. Then he saw her as she jumped across the gap and shimmied across the branch and climbed up next to him. She was wearing a cotton shirt and short trousers like a boy. The red dress clutched in her left hand.

"I wore them under my dress. I don't really like wearing dresses" she said "but I didn't want to ruin it either she said touching his scraped up elbow through his torn shirt.

"Oh man" He had ruined another good shirt. "Alright follow me." He climbed through the tree to a branch that led inches from his window. "We'll go inside later. First I want to show you something. But lets drop off your dress you'll need both hands to climb up." He opened his window and she tossed in her dress. Then they moved through the tree and to a downspout.

"We gotta climb up this. You think you can make it?"

"Of course." she replied defiantly.

He climbed up past the attic and onto the roof. She was right behind him. On the roof was a crow’s nest from an old ship. "I think that an old pirate used to live here. My mom had my dad close up the hatchway cause she thought it was too dangerous up here. You can almost see all of Freeport from up here. As they looked around in the growing twilight Di'Fier's stomach began to rumble.

"We should probably climb back down now. Dinner should be ready soon. As she started down he looked into the street below. A gnome in a high collared red robe walked toward the house and disappeared below the eave. Di'Fier Froze in fear as he recognized the gnome from the guild library. He heard a knock on the front door and then his mother's voice

"Ah Remir what a pleasant surprise."

Last edited:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
hehe, DiFier can be into problems...

I like a lot the story. And I want to know more about the book, I'm intrigued :)

DiFier

First Post
oh don't worry, once the situation becomes resolved Di'Fier will be spending a lot of time with that book. you'll see.

I was sorta at a loss on how to do the next part and this last part just sorta grew from an idea on how to resolve a problem.

DiFier

First Post
Di'Fier scrambled down the the pipe and dropped into his room. Kenna was there, she had slipped her dress back on and looked at Di'Fier strangely.

"I'm gonna change my shirt. You go ahead down stairs" he said as quickly as he could then ushered her out of the room and changed his shirt. He checked to make sure the book was where he had hidden it. And then he ran down the stairs. He waited at the bottom; listening. He heard his mother's voice in the parlor.

". . he went home? already? He just arrived. . . "

"He could not find what he was looking for. He was rather angry, with me, with the guild and with Freeport in general. But he didn't make much of a scene and then he was gone." Replied a voice that Di'Fier didn't recognize. There were so many people here who he barely knew. The unknown voice continued "But there was someting more to his vist. He was looking for a book. A very powerful book but I didn't trust him I . . ."

"Dinner is served" announced one of the carters, startling Di'Fier. So the Gnome had come to the house looking for the book. But had left already. It seemed so easy. Too easy.

Di'Fier waited, consealed at the bottom of the steps. He wanted to see who his mother was talking to. The coversation continued "It is really important. That he not find that book. Luckily He has specialized his training and cannot cast spells from the divination school. So I used some subterfuge that I feel a little guilty about but it seems to have worked. I hope that you will not be too cross."

Two figures emerged from the parlor. One was his mother the other the gnome with black hair and a high collared red robe from the library. One of the carters approached the pair. The Gnome excused himself "This is extremely important. I would like to discuss it privately after dinner." and then he headed to the dining room.

Di'Fier's mother confered with the caterer about some food issue. Di'Fier was confused and a little worried. He tried to sneak back upstairs. but heard his mother's voice "Come on Di'Fier. It is time to eat." He turned and headed toward the dining room. " . . . and don't think I didn't notice that you have changed your shirt." She glared at him slightly and ushered him into the dining room.

The room was as full as Di'Fier had ever seen it. 17 people sat around the table. the caterers scurried around serving everyone their first course. Di'Fier and his mother took the last two seats.

The food was very good but the meal was uneventful. The gnome would occasinly look over at Di'Fier but he only smiled. Di'Fier was really confused. He was the first to finish that last course and he excused himself and headed up to his room. He pulled the book from the secret compartment in his desk and opened it to pages 166 & 167. They were blank except for the words;

"Do not worry"

drnuncheon

Explorer
Ha ha. I know what's coming up and you all don't.

Now that that bit of gloating is over I want to say that I am extremely excited to be once again DMing Freeport, after not being able to the past 2 weekends (each of my players missing one session! I thought about calling off myself just to teach 'em a lesson, but I'd be lynched.)

Mmm. Big Saturday Session. More stuff for me to get behind on writing up for the story hour!

J

DiFier

First Post
drnuncheon said:
Ha ha. I know what's coming up and you all don't.

Oh good can you tell me.

Just kidding but I do have a bit of writter's block right now. more is coming perhaps even tonight.

DiFier

First Post
Well My computer decieded to stop working over the weekend. Luckily it did it slowly and not all of a sudden. I was able to burn CD's of most of my important files. I was able to save the first draft of my Di'Fier Stories. Unfortunatlly I don't think that I will be able to post any updates for a while. Since When I'm at work I'm susposed to be working and not writing stories. I'm going to reformat and try to reload the op system this week sometime. Hopefully it was just the windows bug and that will fix everything.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads