Disabling Windows Key

Dark Jezter

First Post
Last night while playing Diablo II on battle.net with some friends, I accidently hit the windows key at a very inopportune moment, which resulted in the death of my character.

This has happened more times than I like to think about, and frankly I've had enough of it. So here's a question for all you Windows experts: How do I go about disabling the Windows key in Windows XP Pro?

Thanks in advance.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
After searching help on the net...I would check an see if it is not an option in the game settings before doing this.

How To Disable the Keyboard Windows Key

The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP1
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP2
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP3
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP4
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 SP1
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 SP2
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 SP3
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 SP4
Microsoft Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition 4.0 SP4

This article was previously published under Q216893

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

SUMMARY
It is possible to disable the Windows key that is now available on many new computer keyboards. This key usually provides shortcut access to the Start button or other Windows NT functions.
MORE INFORMATION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To disable the Windows key, do the following steps:
Click Start, click Run, type regedt32, and then click OK.
On the Windows menu, click HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE on Local Machine.
Click the System\CurrentControlSet\Control folder, and then double-click the Keyboard Layout folder.
On the Edit menu, click Add Value, type in Scancode Map, click REG_BINARY as the Data Type, and then click OK.
Type 00000000000000000300000000005BE000005CE000000000 in the Data field, and then click OK.
Close the Registry Editor and restart the computer.
Last Reviewed: 5/14/2003
Keywords: kbenv kbinfo KB216893

Last edited:

orbitalfreak

First Post
Best way I've found to disable them is just rip them off the keyboard! If you need to use the keys every once in a while, keep a pen(cil) or something handy to press the little pad under the key.

Plus, you get the satisfaction of causing destruction! :D

Psionicist

Explorer
I have coded a program for you (28 kb, written in C) that will do this. Download and run the attachment.

nowinkey.gif

The program will run invisible in the background of the computer. Shift + Break will enable/disable the win key.

Edit: You have to close the program (NoWinKey.exe) from the windows task manager (ctrl + shift + esc). I was to lazy to add a simpler way to close it. :D

Attachments

• nowinkey.zip
    26 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Dark Jezter

First Post
Thank you, Psionicist!

I just tested out the program, and it works great! You should find a way to make it available for public download, because I'm sure that there's a lot of gamers out there who have the same problem I did. :D

Once again, thanks!

Remove ads