(Discussion) General Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Brother Shatterstone said:
thanks Dungannon don't know why I didn't see that before hand... :confused:

Cause things are just confusing as they are. Don't worry about it at all, until I get everything read to be straightened out things like that are going to happen.

Thels

First Post
Uriel, you want us to start posting in the adventure thread for adventure-related stuff or should we wait?

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Go ahead and post. I started it this morning when I got off of work, though I messed up and merely 'Edited' my first post, thus it didn't appear at the top or alert anyone subscribed. Sorry for that.

I was just thinking of another way down the road to introduce ECL +>1 characters into the game. We mentioned giving DM's rattings for their work so people would know who runs a good game, well along with those rattings give the DM's points. Then let them convert those points into PC's later. This rewards and encourages DMing because as we all know it takes a lot of work to DM one of these. Also it will let us participate in more stuff later on. Like right now I am working completly on DMing and by the time I settle down and want to play the bulk of the people may be higher level, so I can take my DM exp. acumulated and be able to convert it to a higher level character. Thus I can introduce a PC that can play along with others. So for example if Tiggle were to ever leave the bar and head back out on the road I could convert some points awarded to DMing to flush him out as a higher level PC. Or if I wanted to play a hobgoblin character I could transfer any points needed to get a level boost for the +1 ECL. The actual point system doesn't matter as long as we formulate it, but I think it should be based on the size of groups DM's are playing with, creativity of the adventure, enjoyment level of players, and stuff like that. Just an idea, does not really need to be put into practice until these first adventures finish up but just thought I would throw it on the table.

Thels

First Post
Sounds good. As for how much experience, I think you can compare to the players. In no way should new characters be created beyond the power of existing characters.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Actually Casar. I had been mulling over awarding DMs points as well.

Similar thing, and I wholeheartedly support the concept.

While I love the idea, I don't think it should be used to let DMs play ECL characters...what about Players? What about people like me who LOVE to DM but can't because I'm swamped with that already? I think it cuts out way too much for most people. That would almost force people who want to play ECL races into DMing, even if they don't enjoy DMing. Bad idea.

Awarding DMs points, though, is great. Its just a matter of...what do you actually do with them? I don't think it should allow them to make better PCs, because that just causes the same problem I just mentioned all over again. Possibly something with running adventures? Or maybe they can have more than ONE PC with more points...?

Sounds good. As for how much experience, I think you can compare to the players. In no way should new characters be created beyond the power of existing characters.

Good point there, we don't want a DM suddenly having the most powerful PC in the world.

While I love the idea, I don't think it should be used to let DMs play ECL characters...what about Players? What about people like me who LOVE to DM but can't because I'm swamped with that already? I think it cuts out way too much for most people. That would almost force people who want to play ECL races into DMing, even if they don't enjoy DMing. Bad idea.

I don't think this should be the only way for ECL characters but I thought it would be an effective way to add some. Other ideas suggested are retiring players to get a new PC att half the old characters level, that way players can earn ECL characters as well. I just think DM's need compensation for their time.

Awarding DMs points, though, is great. Its just a matter of...what do you actually do with them? I don't think it should allow them to make better PCs, because that just causes the same problem I just mentioned all over again. Possibly something with running adventures? Or maybe they can have more than ONE PC with more points...?

The reasons I think that it should let DM's make more powerful characters is A. It rewards them for the time and energy it takes to run an adventure. B. It lets them play characters from their adventures. I would love to take Tiggle out of the bar. He was an idea I had for a character a while ago and I have really liked the different aspects of his character I developed and other ideas Ive had. However, I don't think its reasonable to say Tiggle is a level1 character. He is somewhat of an authority figgure in the Inn (trust me start a fight and he will brake it up) and he has made reference to being a part of the group that slayed the dragon out front. Now that could have been just talk, but I personally see Tiggle as a mid level character, and once living Enworld reaches that level I would really like to take him out and try playing with him. This creates a system for me to do it. As for additional characters, I believe that the few posts I read concerning it was alright with it once the world gets bigger. Stipulations of course being that two PC's of the same player can not interact with one another.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I, as a DM, don't want to be rewarded with PC power. It seems really really odd, and not earned in the same way.

I'd rather earn my way up the player chain normally, however as a DM I could see us having a DM ranking chart. I'm not too concerned with this at the moment. I'm wondering where Morrus is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads