• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) General Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macbeth

First Post
Creamsteak said:
Good point about the half drow skills. I'll have-ta think on that. Maybe just remove it...

But I havn't thoroughly promoted how time in LEW works. Your thinking that your going to have to stop an adventure because a character needs to spend two days to sell an item. That's not the case. Those two days are part of your time in LEW statistic. It informs us judges of whether or not you can join a new adventure this 'period'. I'll explain it in more detail later, laundry calls.
Maybe the half drow should get a bonus to two different skills, such as Knowledge(Royalty) (I understand that drow houses are very important) and Move Silently (id I recall, FR drow are quite adept at sneaking around silently, and have even developed 'Drow Sign Language').
I am very interested in your time solution, but I can understand the call of Laundry.

Thels

First Post
Having two different skill bonuses would be a good idea, but these shouldn't come from the drow as drow don't have any such bonuses. Like the halfelf, it should be something that originates from their outcast type. How about Survival and Sense Motive?

CS> You confuse me again :p

Last edited:

Macbeth

First Post
Thels said:
Having two different skill bonuses would be a good idea, but these shouldn't come from the drow as drow don't have any such bonuses. Like the halfelf, it should be something that originates from their outcast type. How about Survival and Sense Motive?
Good point, I was just working off of the drow nature, which might not apply to half-drow. I agree that those bonuses look good, and the Sense Motive is a good contrast to the Half elf diplomacy Bonus

Creamsteak

Explorer
Actually the +2 Diplomacy and Gather information are making a great deal of sense on half drow the more I think about it... they seem very much like the type that would be very good at those things. I was originally swayed thinking of the stereotype of a drow trying to deal with a human that perhaps thinks drow are absolutely evil. Then I realized that that incurs it's own circumstancial modifiers...

Still thinking though...

Thels

First Post
A halfdrow obviously has a harder time getting a friendly word out of someone than a halfelf would. It would have to be more suspicious, checking people out (Sense Motive) and occasionally have to fend for himself (Survival).

Okay, changed stuff around. Halfdrow are now like halfelves except for the vision and the skills. How about:

Half-Drow
• Medium: As Medium creatures, half-drow have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Half-drow base land speed is 30 feet.
• Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells or effects.
• Darkvision: Half-drow can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and half-drow can function just fine with no light at all.
• +1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
• +2 racial bonus on Sense Motive and Survival checks.
• Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-drow is considered an elf.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
• Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass half-drow takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does not count.

Elf-Drow
• +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, elf-drow have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Elf-drow base land speed is 30 feet.
• Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
• Superior Low-Light Vision: An elf-drow can see four times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• Weapon Proficiency: Elf-drow receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the short sword, rapier, shortbow (including composite shortbow), and hand crossbow as bonus feats.
• +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf-drow who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
• Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, an elf-drow is considered an elf.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Kuo-toan, Orc, Sylvan and Undercommon.
• Favored Class: Cleric (Female) or Wizard (Male). A multiclass female elf-drow 's cleric class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing. A multiclass male elf-drow 's wizard class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Well, Thels, let me explain what I meant by using your example, that being: "obviously has a harder time getting a friendly word out of someone". This is subject to the person, race, ideaology, etc. Diplomacy isn't. If a character hates drow and has had past experiences with them, there might be a -10 circumstance penalty, but an indifferent character (as might be found in rivinblight) wouldn't have such a modifier. So a half-drow might have a +2 bonus to such checks anyway (and isn't it odd that the drow's +1 bonus from charisma modifier makes them better at it than their impure cousins?) So a Half Drow has a -8 total modifer from these given inputs if the circumstances warrent a -10. The full-blooded drow is so charismatic that they have a -9 where a -10 would fall into play, but not so much as the half-drow.

I'm leaning one way and then the other.

Also, I don't think Survival makes a whole lot of sense as a skill though, perhaps bluff or intimidate?

WizWrm

First Post
About the haggling thing...

Any skill is going to have the potential for abuse; getting obscenely high numbers in order to always receive 150%+ of the actual market value.

My suggestion would just do a straight random roll for each "day" of selling items. For example, on a d20, 1-10 might indicate 1/4-1/3 market value; 11-15 would be 1/2, 16-18 would be full, and 19-20 might be 1.5 times the value. I'm not suggesting those numbers (actually, I suggest against using them), but that illustrates how usually, you'll get less than full value, but if you want to spend a lot of time looking for a good price, eventually you'll get it. The alternative, of course, would be to post in on the trading post to get a pretty steady 75% market value or so.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Creamsteak said:
1) A skill would make selling to NPCs too profitable for certain characters. They wouldn't want to support the market for PCs to make purchases.

2) Time tracking should be in effect for your character. We keep track of the number of days you've spent out of your allotment. After an adventure, the DM informs me of the number of days that have passed, and should pass that information down to the players after the OK.

3) Selling an item for 50% of it's market price is always possible, but you will need to spend 1 day for every 1000 gold pieces of the item's market price to sell it. Selling a 200,000 gold piece weapon for 100,000 gold pieces will take 200 days out of your character. Not a paltry amount.

How's that sound?

What about adding in a similar option to the trading post?

The trading post could purchase objects for 50% market value (less the usual 10% handling fee). Then the trading post can take as much time as it wants to resell the object to the generic world market at full price "off screen".

This would also give players the option of saying something like, "I'll sell this sword to anyone who wants it for 1000 gp. If no one buys it within a month, the trading post can have it for half price."

It's a great deal for the trading post and inn, saves a lot of time for the players, and actually generates more than enough profit to pay for all that free booze we've been drinking.

Thels

First Post
CS> Yeah, you could be right. Still, I don't think it's good to make them exact copies. Bluff instead of Survival is good, though.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
So are the new spells, feats, PrCs and races getting collected somewhere? Who/where do we submit them to for official approval?

My Halfling Sneak PrC has fallen off page 1 of the House Rules forum... I suspect its just about ready for the perusal of the Judges.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads