• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) General Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

First Post
My elf is 5'0" and 113 lbs. That's just about average height for a male elf, and definitely on the heavy side for an elf of that height. Elves are, as a rule, a little on the thin side. A dwarf, remarking on a group of elves standing together, might joke that they'll all be blown like leaves with the first good gust of wind. Although, if my elf was in the group, he'd suggest that mine would be the last one of the group to be blown away.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I couldn't find any other threads about his, only an allusion somewhere. Well, to one of them.

No Complete books? Only OGL? Is this an ultimatum, a legal restriction, or is it just a matter of a proposal?

If I want to model a feat after an already-existant game mechanic (from a published source), how similar is too similar? Or is that cleared up in the proposal threads?

If I make a second (or third) character can my characters know each other? And I can I have more than in a given adventure, or is that up to the GM (I understand trading items between them is a no-no)? Is there a preferred method for handling multiple characters?

Edit: Pfft, silly me. Read the Guide.
You can only have 1 character at a given location at a given time. This means that your character cannot interact with another of your own characters.
That's one down. But that means I can't have more than one in the Tavern either, so if I'm not in a game then I either can only roleplay one character or keep having them enter and exit, which seems annoying.

You cannot propose published material that is not OGC, because we cannot accept it into our setting.
That's two down. Man, I wasted a lot of space here.

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
No Complete books? Only OGL? Is this an ultimatum, a legal restriction, or is it just a matter of a proposal?

It's a matter of availability of rules material. We want to make certain that everyone playing in Living EN World has equal access to the same rules.

Not everyone owns the Complete books. Not everyone wants to own them. Not everyone can afford to own them.

The SRD is the only documentation that is universally accessible to anyone who can already post on these message boards. Therefore, only the material in the SRD is available for use here. Also, any material (especially original material) proposed by players and approved by judges is fair game... but only if it adheres to the OGL.

Jdvn1

Pbartender said:
It's a matter of availability of rules material. We want to make certain that everyone playing in Living EN World has equal access to the same rules.

Not everyone owns the Complete books. Not everyone wants to own them. Not everyone can afford to own them.
Oh, that's the reasoning, then. Okay, thanks.

Pbartender said:
Also, any material (especially original material) proposed by players and approved by judges is fair game... but only if it adheres to the OGL.
Okay, I should probably read up on that, then. Thanks!

Jdvn1

I was considering getting an exotic mount, and there's a Warbeast template in MM2. If I update the template and propose it would that still be a no-no? (This'd be at a much higher level -- I'm a Ranger, so I thought I could use a Dire Wolf animal companion and train him to be a mount)

Dexerion

First Post
two things. do you use ride skill for driving wagons? handle animal maybe?

also... to those of you in the fallon's key adventure. i saw you decided a new key was made. i couldn't find an explanation of the key though. what was it to, exactley? the sentinal spell?

Manzanita

First Post
also... to those of you in the fallon's key adventure. i saw you decided a new key was made. i couldn't find an explanation of the key though. what was it to, exactley? the sentinal spell?

Did you go back & read the Fallon's Key thread, Dexeron? I doubt any of us could remember off hand exactly what it was for. Mithrandier is still around the boards some, we could ask him, I suppose. Are you interested in doing something w/Fallon?

Dexerion

First Post
i actually have already planned something for fallon and the adventure is getting kicked off right now. i just have never taken notice of that thread until today. i read through some of it.

Jdvn1

Dexerion said:
That'd be a GM call, probably. Handle Animal is to teach animals tricks or make them do tricks, and Ride is to ... well, ride. Horseback. I'd call it Ride, myself, since that seems to involve more movement, but either makes sense, I think. Alternately, you could call it Handle Animal with a +2 synergy for 5 or more ranks in Ride.

Or something.

I don't think that's addressed anywhere, RAW.

Pbartender

First Post
Dexerion said:

It would be the Handle Animal skill, not Ride. Riding an animal involves an entirely different set of skills than driving an animal-drawn cart or wagon.

Specifically, it fall under the "Handle and Animal" task of the skill:

Handle an Animal: This task involves commanding an animal to perform a task or trick that it knows. If the animal is wounded or has taken any nonlethal damage or ability score damage, the DC increases by 2. If your check succeeds, the animal performs the task or trick on its next action.

The 'task or trick' that the animal would be performing would fall under "Work" and "Heavy Labor" (which includes Work and Come):

Work (DC 15*): The animal pulls or pushes a medium or heavy load.

Heavy Labor (DC 15*): An animal trained for heavy labor knows the tricks come and work. Training an animal for heavy labor takes two weeks.

*The DC to train an animal to do this task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads