Pathfinder 1E Disengaging Flourish: Does this work?

John Blackport

First Post
OK, this is written from the PoV of a mid-level (10th or so) single-classed human cavalier with a regular horse mount. I'm just checking to see if the feats work this way.

I have a feat called "Audacity" which allows me to calculate my AoO's/round using Cha instead of Dex. For the purposes of this question, just assume I have Combat Reflexes and 22 Dex (i.e., 7 AoO's per round).

My mount has 24 Dex, 3 Int and Combat Reflexes (and so is also getting 7 AoO's per round).

My mount and I both have Escape Route and Paired Opportunists (we both took them on our feat lists, so access to these feats does not require use of the Tactician ability). As the battle begins, I use the Tactician ability to share my Improved Feint Partner feat with my mount. And of course, I also have Disengaging Flourish.

I charge up into a very crowded battlefield, and reach a spot where I am now adjacent to, say, 7 opponents. I, or the mount, might very well take a couple of AoOs on the way in --- though with high Acrobatics skills and the Escape Route feat, that's far from certain.

Once I'm in the middle, I use Disengaging Flourish -- allowing me to make a Bluff check against all 7 of those opponents (who now threaten me) as a *standard action*.

Of course, the horse has Improved Feint Partner. This means my horse gets an AoO against everyone his "ally" (me), successfully feints against. This should give the horse his chance to make use of his 7 AoOs (depending on how successful my Feints were), striking out with his hooves.

Since my mount and I both have Paired Opportunists, the horse gets a +4 to hit on all these AoO's. Not only that, but I *also* get 7 AoO's against the same targets, since Paired Opportunist gives me AoO's against anyone my "ally" gets an AoO on. And I get the same +4 to hit on all those AoO's.

I still haven't necessarily *completed* my move action (depending how far I moved to get into the middle of the enemies) . . . and since I never took an "attack" action (I didn't need to because all my attacks were AoOs), I can still move, possibly now out of reach of some of the slower enemies. . . and the primary effect of "Disengaging Feint" is to deny AoO's to everyone that I successfully feinted!

Obviously, this won't work against all enemies --- but of course, I won't do it to enemies who I think it won't work on.

Does this work? Am I missing anything?

Last edited:

Starfox

Hero
Quick perusal would seem to make it legit, but I am travelling and don't really have the time to dig.

What I want to say is that feats and combat maneuvers in Pathfinder are completely different beasts from those of 3.5. This combination might be extreme, partly because it only involves 5 feats spread over 2 characters, but ant fighter can get pretty extreme combat utility out of feats. This, plus nerfing many spells (particulsrily buff duration) is how Pathfinder was rebalanced, something that is easy to miss if you only read the system as opposed to playing it. Pathfinder isn't just 3.5 on crack, it is more thoroughly reballanced than it appears after only reading it.

John Blackport

First Post
Oops! The opening post's edited for clarity --- I mixed up "Disengaging Feint" with "Disengaging Flourish", and I also tried to clarify other stuff here & there.

Maybe I'll get to put this to the test in the next game...

John Blackport

First Post
The DM just ruled that "Escape Route" will not work for movement where the PC *intends to attack later in the round at the time of the movement* . . . in other words, they're not currently intending to escape.

Sub-optimal, but I see the point.

Remove ads