• I'll be in my bunk (Yes)

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Serenity Curry

Votes: 11 21.2%

GreyLord

Legend
I don't know...there are some things for it and some things against it I think...

No -

1. The story as told is basically complete. Abridge, shortened, and skips some parts, but overall complete. Unless you want to start retconning the series or rewriting things or rebooting, there's no real reason to revisit it. Most who like the show really would not appreciate retcons, rewrites, or rebooting the entire things, so that's a Big no on those points.

2. If you go for a continuation, several of people's favorite characters are dead and it may be hard to some of the old cast to sign back up again. One big driving factor for the show was the cast. If you just try to do a continuation with the surviving members of the crew after the movie you'll get some who watch it, but without the charm of some of the old crew, others may be turned off.

3. Disney almost never follows the storyline, so expect it to be completely changed if they take over it as a continuation. From the beginning Disney has done it's own thing. They do not like following what the storylines say they should do. Sometimes this works out (Snow White, the Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Marvel), sometimes it does not (the Black Cauldron, Star Wars Sequels, Treasure Planet) for a majority of the general audiences. Expect that if they take over Firefly they will do the same and the new stories will not mesh with the old series. The tone will be different, the story will be changed, and characterizations will be extremely different.
{PS - In the above, when it does not work out it does not mean it's hated. There are many who may still love them, for example there are probably tons of people that love Treasure Planet, the Black Cauldron, and the Star Wars Sequels for example, but these movies that don't work for everyone have a divisive character about them that gives a wide range/swath of opinions regarding their faithfulness to what they are based upon with some feeling they are, others they are not and being dissatisfied, and a whole gamut of other feelings towards these types of movies).

Pros

1. If they put Joss Whedon in charge, though he will still be subject to the whims of Disney, he could use it to enrich and expand the Firefly universe.

2. If he wipes the slate clean (in otherwords, gets rid of almost all the crew) but retains the ship and maybe one or two of the old cast members (perhaps the captain, or another member) and then has an entirely new crew to the ship, he could use that to create a new show with whatever flavor he wants which allows free agency and freedom to go as he and Disney wants. This could result in a new approach which could make old fans and new fans happy.

3. For those who really want more Firefly, it gives the opportunity for the really hardcore fans to get more Firefly.

4. It gives Whedon (if he get's put in charge) the opportunity to tell new stories within the universe of Firefly which may or may not be connected to the original series.

So, I can see absolute positives and negatives...it would just depend on how it turns out.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Seems like you could have a different crew and new stories, set in that world.......but when it said family friendly, I started to lose interest. I'd like Disney to stretch a bit........

I would prefer not a reboot, but a new story.....there is plenty of things we don't know (if we only watched the show and movie). Plenty of unexplored stuff.....

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The show was fun, but it really was the cast that made it so. The setting? Meh, its pretty generic and not that interesting.

nevin

Hero
Firefly couldn't get viewers when it was new. The whole reason it was cancelled. It didn't become really popular until after it was cancelled, and thus many fans became fans because suddenly here was a show not treated right by the execs, and it's easy to root for the underdog. Don't get me wrong, I like the show, but it's gonna have some serious challenges to do a reboot. Then you've got all the reasons already mentioned about why this is a bad idea. People will be expecting the original, comparing it to the original like it or not, and they will be disappointed.
Fox wanted a buffy the vampire slayer level of viewership. But Firefly started out with more viewers than Buffy did it's first season. And that's after being put in a what was then called the Friday evening Death Slot where fox sent shows to die.
Also Fox rearranged the shows and the Pilot didn't show till the end. So if you've ever watched the entire series on the DVD's from beginning to end, Imagine just scrambling the episodes up and watching the pilot as the last one.

I do think there's a serious chance of people not being happy if it's not very close to the original and if the chemistry between the characters isn't great. Hopefully they'll have Joss do it and let him do his thing this time without micromanaging him.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I think it could work if it was an animated series. They could throw a bucket of cash at Wheden and the cast and see how many returning crew members they could get back on board.

I'd only watch it if it were an animated series for grownups, though. I've had so many people tell me that Clone Wars is spectacular but I just can't get past Stinky the Hutt (or whatever that character's name was).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The only way it would work for me is if it's a completely new ship and crew with a totally different storyline set in the same universe. I'm not sure there's a point in making that, but if it were THAT and GOOD, then I guess I'd be in. Otherwise, I just can't imagine it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah... nah.
It's time has come and gone.

Is there room for another sf series about a group of witty nomadic mercenary ne'er-do-wells and their ship? Sure! But not this one. Firefly is done.
See, I disagree completely with this. The time has never been better for a sequel show.

There will never be a right time for a reboot, because the premise is all that’s left in a reboot, and that isn’t what is good about Firefly.

But 15 years later, River is the pilot, Zoe has a teenage kid, Mal is ready to retire and own some land somewhere way out on the edge of known space, and some specter of their past comes back to haunt them? That’s a good show.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases