Disney rumour: a new Live Action “Black Cauldron”

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not so sure.

Disney definitely buried TBC the first time around. It didn't get a home video release until 1998, when the conventional "Disney Vault" timeline said it should have gotten one around 1992. It also got a 25th anniversary version in 2010, buts still no Blu-ray.

Disney+ has thrown the entire "Disney Vault" ideology upside down, and it remains to be seen what their long term plans are. The Vault has been a powerful tool for Disney to control the market, allowing them to strategically time re-releases to build their brand and take charge of revenue streams. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. If Disney did want to bury TBC, periodically releasing it on Disney+ would help keep the price of the DVD low in the used market (preventing if from becoming a sought after collectible) and let them avoid ever doing a Blu-ray release (or whatever next-gen hard copy exists).

It's not just in Disney+, it's in 4K on Disney+! And for Disney+, they are committed (where legally possible) to not cycle through content. So it's out there in high definition.

Stormonu

Legend
NO, just NO. If this is true, Disney needs to back away slowly and leave this IP alone. They utterly ruined their last, botched attempt at this story and I for one do not want to see them within 50 miles of it.

On the other hand, I wish they'd (or someone would) redo Black Hole. That movie has a lot of potential, it just needs some modernization (take out the cowboy elements, update the tech/visuals) and a weensy bit more suspense (delve deeper into the mystery of the humanoid "robots" and the crew's fate).

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
NO, just NO. If this is true, Disney needs to back away slowly and leave this IP alone. They utterly ruined their last, botched attempt at this story and I for one do not want to see them within 50 miles of it.
I'm not sure I understand. It's not like it would be the same producers, director, animators, or even studio execs as the last time. It's been 35 years after all. At this point what would be the difference between another studio making it or Disney making it? It's new filmmakers either way.

aco175

Legend
I heard the remake is set in Dark Sun. As soon as Disney buys Hasbro. Actually, I could see something for Disney+ like a series. Things have gotten darker and scarier for kids/teens these days with recent movies like Harry Potter and those vampire/werewolf movies.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I heard the remake is set in Dark Sun. As soon as Disney buys Hasbro. Actually, I could see something for Disney+ like a series. Things have gotten darker and scarier for kids/teens these days with recent movies like Harry Potter and those vampire/werewolf movies.
Haha, are you saying the Black Cauldron remake is set in Athas? Didn't see that twist coming...

Stormonu

Legend
I'm not sure I understand. It's not like it would be the same producers, director, animators, or even studio execs as the last time. It's been 35 years after all. At this point what would be the difference between another studio making it or Disney making it? It's new filmmakers either way.
I have an aversion to the original on the level of suffering the Ralph Bakshi version of the Lord of the Rings and the more recent Peter Jackson Hobbit.
I have no confidence that Disney could do the series justice, especially with the rate their live action remakes are going downhill.

I have an aversion to the original on the level of suffering the Ralph Bakshi version of the Lord of the Rings and the more recent Peter Jackson Hobbit.
I have no confidence that Disney could do the series justice, especially with the rate their live action remakes are going downhill.

Take that stupid rotoscoping out of it and it was just fine.

Rumours about Disney buying Hasbro are old. After buying 20 century fox they are too busy. This will not happen in the next near years. But I feel a great curiosity about how would be the heroes of Dragonlance drawned with the Disney style.

I want my live action Disney's Pocahontas dammit! Come on Disney, there's no way that could ever go wrong.

wo8hmcoioko31.jpg

I'd love for this to come true, and be done well. Not that I don't love the original movie and the books. If I recall correctly, Tim Burton worked on doing the animation. These days, alas, I would hope that he wouldn't be involved in remake.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases