Disney's making 10 Star Wars and 10 Marvel TV shows

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Hardly. Of all the theaters in my town, one is in a shopping mall. The rest are in shopping centers of various kinds, sure, but nothing like a mall. Even the one at the local mall is it's own separate building with it's own parking lot, on the same city block but not actually attached to the mall. You could easily shut down the mall without shutting down the theater.

It might be a different building but it's likely owned by the same company. And those companies are in deep trouble.

They are the landlord.

And as for the theaters, who are the tenants...

Warner Bros. shook the hell out of the industry last week with its streaming announcement.

If the mall goes under, it takes the theater with it. There are only a handful of companies surviving: Amazon, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowe's. These are big box stores that are surviving by torpedoing brick-and-mortar, which is starting to shift to a fulfillment center model.

You need foot traffic for traditional storefronts. Fulfillment centers don't provide any foot traffic. And without the foot traffic, you lose the storefronts. Without the storefronts, you lose rental income. Without rental income, you can't pay the mortgage on the property.

And then the mall goes under, taking the theater down.

This is the natural flowing consequence of overbuilding from the 90s.

I'll be honest with you...

Right now, I'm in my office, derping on the internet. Instead of suing people. Why? Because my clients, who are banks, don't want me suing people to collect what's due. Because they know that right now, those people don't have the money.

Something bad is coming. And a lot of stalwart chains might not survive it. Including movie theaters.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Hardly. Of all the theaters in my town, one is in a shopping mall. The rest are in shopping centers of various kinds, sure, but nothing like a mall. Even the one at the local mall is it's own separate building with it's own parking lot, on the same city block but not actually attached to the mall. You could easily shut down the mall without shutting down the theater.
There are movie theatres in malls? Wild

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Let's say that I would prefer a 5e release schedule to 2e one. Long term brand management rather than focussing on next quarter's finances.
That became impossible once Disney started their own streaming service. Sorry. Pandora's box is open.

MGibster

Legend
On one hand, some of the best Star Wars material in recent years has been on the small screen. But I'm afraid I might get burned out. I'll give the new shows a chance though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There is really no part of this that I can agree with.

- Movies and TV shows are a very different experience, from pacing, to release schedules, accessibility, and methods to watching them. You can't just sum the run-times and claim it's a fungible experience.

You are correct - big movies generally contain less content than the same runtime of TV show. They are spending lots of time on special effects sequences and prolonged fights that TV shows don't.

So, those 23 MCU movies are less than 2-4 seasons of content, really. I am not sure that you're helping the posit that their being intertwined is a problem.

- I just explained how intertwining can be a problem on something the scale of the MCU in my last post.

- We don't know yet how much "this much content" is. It sounds to me like it's much more than just a "couple seasons of TV".

Ah. I think you lost the narrative - the "couple of seasons of TV" was the MCU to date.

If you sat and watched it like we watch TV series - an hour or two at a sitting, one or two sittings a week, I don't think anyone would have an issue with the intertwining of the MCU. The plot just ain't that complicated.

I can see that people can lose the connections in movies because they are separated in realtime. If it was a TV show, it would be weeks between linked episodes, but in movies it is years. But that won't apply here, as teh bulk of it is TV content, not movies.

Looking at the release schedule - we have the four Avengers-based short series, scheduled one after the other. So it is like you have one episode to watch each week. These are limited series to carry us through the first year of this stuff.

The next four we knew about don't have release dates yet - some of them are still casting. We probably won't see them until 2022. And, since these are targeted to a subscription streaming service, you can expect the same kind of schedule - giving you one thing to watch each week, so you have reason to keep subscribed. This won't be hard to follow.

Ironheart and such... those are 2023 and later. We can reassess when the time comes.

Zardnaar

Legend
You are correct - big movies generally contain less content than the same runtime of TV show. They are spending lots of time on special effects sequences and prolonged fights that TV shows don't.

So, those 23 MCU movies are less than 2-4 seasons of content, really. I am not sure that you're helping the posit that their being intertwined is a problem.

Ah. I think you lost the narrative - the "couple of seasons of TV" was the MCU to date.

If you sat and watched it like we watch TV series - an hour or two at a sitting, one or two sittings a week, I don't think anyone would have an issue with the intertwining of the MCU. The plot just ain't that complicated.

I can see that people can lose the connections in movies because they are separated in realtime. If it was a TV show, it would be weeks between linked episodes, but in movies it is years. But that won't apply here, as teh bulk of it is TV content, not movies.

Looking at the release schedule - we have the four Avengers-based short series, scheduled one after the other. So it is like you have one episode to watch each week. These are limited series to carry us through the first year of this stuff.

The next four we knew about don't have release dates yet - some of them are still casting. We probably won't see them until 2022. And, since these are targeted to a subscription streaming service, you can expect the same kind of schedule - giving you one thing to watch each week, so you have reason to keep subscribed. This won't be hard to follow.

Ironheart and such... those are 2023 and later. We can reassess when the time comes.

This the first ones won't land until 2022. Probably around the time Mandalorian is wrapping up or one more season in the tank.

If they gave 5 premium shows (MCU/Star Wars) 8 episodes each spaced out two weeks apart (to avoid people canceling subscriptions) that's enough material for 2022-2030.

We know some are going to be shorter, all the Disney Star Wars stuff so far has been 2-4 seasons.

Some might overlap as well to fill in those gaps. By the time one show winds down the next is ready to go or might be on season 2-3.

Even one premium show in at any one time isn't that much. How many hits has Netflix had this year?

When seasons are 6-10 episodes often shorter than 42 minutes.....

Notice a lot of shows traditionally go downhill after season 5 or so? Very short seasons also avoid that problem since 5 seasons are shorter than 2 traditional ones.

Remove ads