• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM beats the players...

Tom Cashel

First Post
Patrick-S&S said:

Well ever tried Ars Magica? That should answer this...

Sure, Ars Magica is a forerunner of the Storytelling system, right? Still doesn't answer the question...are you saying that you "decide to run" Ars Magica and then someone else is the GM, or are you saying that Ars Magica has no GM?

...and Patrick, to speak frankly...how much respect did you expect to get when you post that you like DMing because you get to boss people around? When the revolution comes, managers like you will be the first to get canned. And I'm talking about the Management Revolution...

Hoo boy, don't I sound serious and stuff. TROLL!!! :)

Last edited:

Patrick-S&S

First Post
Tom Cashel said:
Sure, Ars Magica is a forerunner of the Storytelling system, right? Still doesn't answer the question...are you saying that you "decide to run" Ars Magica and then someone else is the GM, or are you saying that Ars Magica has no GM?

There are several GMs or storytellers rolled between all the players most of the time. At least that was what we did when we gamed Ars Magica back then.

...and Patrick, to speak frankly...how much respect did you expect to get when you post that you like DMing because you get to boss people around? When the revolution comes, managers like you will be the first to get canned. And I'm talking about the Management Revolution...

Uh... What? Respect? I did put a :D afterwards didn't I? I should perhaps have added a ;) instead. The letter wasn't anything like that at all. Hmm... Perhaps I should have been clearer? I meant that I find DM/GMing so much more fun than being a player that I wanted to know why I should do the latter when I prefer the former. No respect wanted, only feedback on why players want to be players. Groan... :rolleyes:

Tom Cashel

First Post
Fair enough.

But if you look at your first post, you don't pose the question: "Why would anyone want to be a player when DMing is obviously the best?" You just answer your own (unstated) question ("DM beats players") without asking for any feedback.

"Tell my I would want to be a player at all... " doesn't really do the trick.

Not trying to be mean/rude/vegetarian...just trying to explain the reaction to a harmless post.

See, I'm all serious now and stuff. ;)

(now all the EN World vegetarians will be out to drown me in tofu...)

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Patrick-S&S said:

I wanted to know why I should do the latter when I prefer the former.

Um... you shouldn't. It's that simple.

Some people enjoy playing. Some people enjoy DMing. If you enjoy Dming, then DM. If you enjoy playing, then play.

I'm not quite sure what more you wanted... It seems like you are asking us to convince you to not DM when you specifically said that you enjoy DMing more than playing. Well, good for you. Keep DMing.

I don't want to sound harsh, but there are certainly more constuctive things you could be doing with your (and our) time.

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
I like doing both, I find that being a player makes me a better DM (both by seeing things that do work and things that don't work from the other side of the table).

If I had to give up one it would be being a player. That's because a DM has more fun stuff to do BETWEEN games. I wouldn't want to just sit around rolling up characters I'm never going to play, or polish my character sheet. (Hong, your catchphrase is needed here, please). At least, that's what players do between games, right?

Patrick-S&S

First Post
Ok people here goes again what I meant from the start. And no odd jokes, flames and such this time. What is magical about being a player? What does it for you that makes you want to be one and not a DM/GM? And vice versa of course...

And do you guys/gals know of any good novels that one can get a grip of? No D&D novels, since I think that most of the best ones have already been written. Unless you know some books that rival the Crystal Shard, Darkspell, Canticle and so on. Other books like Daggerspell and such are also what I am looking for.

hong

WotC's bitch
EricNoah said:
If I had to give up one it would be being a player. That's because a DM has more fun stuff to do BETWEEN games. I wouldn't want to just sit around rolling up characters I'm never going to play, or polish my character sheet. (Hong, your catchphrase is needed here, please).

Now I'm confused.

Curse you, "EricNoah", if that is your REAL NAME! Trolls like you have no place on this family-oriented newsgroup. Hive off back to NutmegLand or whatever that godawful troll's hangout is called, why don't you. I swear, this place is going all to pot.

Hong "you don't mean the Adkisons, do you?" Ooi

Last edited:

Remove ads