• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM empowerment and its effect on PbP and Organized Play

Walking Dad

First Post
I just realized why I like more hard-coded rules than "DM empowerment". I play PbP. Having to ask and wait for the DM's answer on most action is slowing down everything to a nightmarish crawl.
So, DM empowerment is great, if you play almost always with the same people in an environment that allows instant question-answer with your DM.

But I would like to see an alternative for other gaming styles, where many decisions are based on defined rules, so I can post the roll with the action I want to do, and not a question what I should roll first.

What you don't want is 5 different rulings on 5 different tables. Where one DM says, "Strength Check", the next one says, "Petrification save" and the next one says "Dex Check". It makes organized play an absolute nightmare for one and for another, makes any discussion of the mechanics virtually impossible because everyone's playing a different game.
I absolutely see this. And I think organized play is a think D&D Next should be able to support.

DogBackward

First Post
DM Empowerment can make PbP go even more smoothly, though. Now, all you have to do is say "This is what I do." Then the DM will take your appropriate ability score, roll it for you, and tell you what happens. It's not like you'd do any better at the tabletop; you don't get to say "I'm going to try this, does it work?" and then change your mind if it doesn't work. Just like in a face-to-face game, you'll just have to try it and see what happens.

Walking Dad

First Post
Alright, but many players dislike having the DM making all rolls for them. I also like to know my possible chance for success. Not to the exact number, but i f I think I describe something based on Str and a skill I have, describe the action and the DM rolls Con and no skill and says I failed a roll with very low change of success, I feel cheated by the game.

Remove ads