D&D 5E DM Help! My rogue always spams Hide as a bonus action, and i cant target him!

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
PLAIN ENGLISH. NOT RULES JARGON.
Ok but were talking rules jargon here, not what hiding in reality means. Sorry to break your bubble but D&D rules don't always mimic reality very well. I know its gamist, but the rules allow you to tro to hide even if you were seen becoming heavily obscured, invisible or otherwise unseen, this without the need to expressely moving thereafter. You are free to require it in your game, but the rules don't specifically ask that someone observed becoming unseen to move in order to hide because you know its location. Like i said, you usually know an unseen creature's location prior to hide, wether you saw it becoming unseen or not. Requiring an unseen creature to move before hiding would still let creatures know where it moved to prior to hide, since it moved without being hidden. Don't you see the logical failure here?

Harzel

Adventurer
Absolutely. I could swing a sword around madly covering a 10' x 10' darkened area over the space of six seconds. Couldnt you?

Important to remember is the NPC in this scenario is not hidden, so Grog the barbarian isnt swinging wildly in the darkness. He is presumed to have enough of a clue as to where the NPC is with enough precision to not have to wave his sword all over the darkness in hope. He can charge in the darkness in the NPCs general direction, and have a few swings at the NPC (make an attack at disadvantage).

He only needs to guess a square if the NPC is hidden. This NPC isnt hidden (he wasnt allowed to even roll).

No it doesnt. What it says is:

'A creature’s space is the area in feet that it effectivelycontrols in combat, not an expression of its physicaldimensions. A typical Medium creature isn’t 5 feet wide,for example, but it does control a space that wide. If aMedium hobgoblin stands in a 5-foot-wide doorway,other creatures can’t get through unless the hobgoblinlets them. A creature’s space also reflects the area it needs to fighteffectively.'

'5' x 5' squares' are an abstraction. Its a rough approximation of the area that a creature controls in combat, and the room it needs to fight effectively. Remember, unless I'm using the 'playing with a grid' rules variant, 5' squares dont even exist (and even then, they only exist as an abstraction of a creatures approximate location).

Two creatures with swords out swinging wildly (both standing in a patch of darkness with 10' x 10' dimensions) can make attacks against each other. I'm not going to make them 'guess a square to target' first.

I will probably require it if one of them is hidden however.

Probably straight away (depending on movement and so forth). The creature has enough space (in this scenario) to hide without the observers being able to see him 'going into hiding'. I reckon moving around in a 50' x 50' area is probably enough for our NPC to attempt to conceal his location with sufficient precision so that the PC observers dont know where he is (outside of knowing he is in the 50' x 50' area of darkness somewhere). We're getting closer to a situation now where he has room to move about and go into hiding without our observing PCs being able to see him doing so.

In other words, in this scenario his location is sufficently hard to pin down and to know with precision (i.e. see him go into hiding), and he can take the hide action.

Subject to a succesful stealth check via the hide action (representing him moving quietly and masking his location within the darkness), our PCs are going to have to either 1) Use the Search action to find him (listening intently) or 2) make a lucky guess as to his location within the darkness.

Assuming our NPC is now hidden, Grog the Barbarian is going to have to pick a square to target now (and a path through the darkness within which to charge through, which might also reveal our hidden foe).

One thing that others have asked, but I don't think you have answered: after the NPC steps into the 50x50 darkened area do you require him to move (further) either as a prerequisite to or as part of the Hide action?

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
Flamestrike,

I find your plain-English/common-sense analysis unpersuasive because you appear to be using a definition of “hidden” that I consider neither plain nor common.

In my experience, a person is “hidden” in common parlance when the hider has tried to conceal themselves and has successfully prevented potential observers from sensing them. That’s it. You’re adding in a third requirement that observers must also lack knowledge of the hider’s location. That additional requirement seems entirely superfluous and is not in keeping with how I understand the plain-English meaning of the concept.

Considering the hiding-in-a-box example, if a person climbs into a box and closes it, and then successfully remains still so as not to jostle the box and quiets their breathing to inaudible levels, then under the plain-English meaning of the term, they are indeed hidden from any observers, even those who know where the hider is. (The hider is, of course, hidden unwisely.) Similarly, someone who strolls casually out of sight behind a tree, and then while unobserved flattens themselves against the trunk and stills their breathing, preventing observers from sensing them, is indeed hidden, even if it’s the only tree for miles.

In short, as I understand the plain meaning of “hidden”, knowledge of a hider’s location, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with whether that person is hidden. If you try to hide from me and I can't sense you, you're hidden from me, even if I know exactly where you must be.

As evidence supporting my claim that mine is the more natural reading, I recommend reading the Wikipedia article on object permanence. In the section on “Stages” the authors repeatedly use the word “hidden” to refer to the test objects concealed from the child. This fits my definition: the object has been concealed by the tester and cannot be sensed by the child, and so is hidden, whether or not the child passes the test. If the authors were using your definition, then the term “hidden” could only be used in cases where the child failed the test. In general, one speaks of Object Permanence as the ability to know where hidden objects are, not as the ability to prevent them from being hidden in the first place.

My evidence is certainly not conclusive, and it may be that due to regional or other differences, the word “hidden” has a different plain meaning for you than it does for me. That’s fine. But your appeals to plain-meaning and common-sense are unpersuasive when those who you are trying to convince disagree with you about the plain meanings of the words under discussion.

PLAIN ENGLISH. NOT RULES JARGON.

If I (me, in real life) watch you (you, in real life) open a cardboard box, climb inside and close the lid really really quietly, I am watching you hide.

And because I am watching you hide, you can't hide from me by crawling into your cardboard box and closing the lid really really quietly. Your hiding attempt fails.

I know where you are. I'm watching you. And you cant hide from a creature that is watching you.

Plain english. Common sense. Not rules jargon. That's the intended interpretation of the sentence from the PHB of 'You cant hide when a creature is watching you'.

LOL!!!! Say that to Copperfield. Get in the box 100' from you. 6 seconds later a gentle tap on your shoulder from him. And you are not in combat! Imagine in combat what a trickster like him could do...

[MENTION=6802765]Xetheral[/MENTION]
Stop wasting your time. Flamestrike is intelligent. He is trying to apply an illogical rule to logic. He tries to apply rule jargon and a badly written rule to his understanding.

We do understand the rule, Flamestrike. We just don't agree with it. The rule is badly written and goes against everything movie fiction and litteracy has done on the subject. If Flamestrike wants to rule it as RAW and not as logic (which should also be the RAI) dictacte, it's fine by me.

Every time that rule comes in a subject, Flamestrike feel an urge to rise up to its defense. Again, we do understand the rule. Its how it is adversaly affecting our games that we have a grudge. Some part of the rule gives us a small legitimacy (whatever you may say). You are right about the RAW. But our argument is that the RAW is badly written and should therefore be ignored in favor of what has been the standard from the begining of RPGs and Fantasy fiction.

fjw70

Adventurer
@Xetheral
Stop wasting your time. Flamestrike is intelligent. He is trying to apply an illogical rule to logic. He tries to apply rule jargon and a badly written rule to his understanding.

We do understand the rule, Flamestrike. We just don't agree with it. The rule is badly written and goes against everything movie fiction and litteracy has done on the subject. If Flamestrike wants to rule it as RAW and not as logic (which should also be the RAI) dictacte, it's fine by me.

Every time that rule comes in a subject, Flamestrike feel an urge to rise up to its defense. Again, we do understand the rule. Its how it is adversaly affecting our games that we have a grudge. Some part of the rule gives us a small legitimacy (whatever you may say). You are right about the RAW. But our argument is that the RAW is badly written and should therefore be ignored in favor of what has been the standard from the begining of RPGs and Fantasy fiction.

Actually the rule is written pretty well and is pretty simple.

Step 1: Become not clearly seen.
Step 2: Attempt to hide.
Step 3: Profit (I.e. You are now hidden if your check succeeded).

Whether this lines up with your "common sense" definition of hidden is irrelevant. The rule as written works great. It baffles me that people have trouble with this.

ThePolarBear

First Post
Well, my interpretation happens to agree with yours.

That's because the rule is the DM determines when the appropriate circumstances for hiding exist, and the number one circumstance given is that someone can not see you clearly. That means it's the DM's job to determine whether or not someone can see you clearly. The implied reasoning behind this, however, is that if someone can see you clearly then they know your location. I think that's what folks are missing.

Seen clearly is not the only circumstance in which hiding is inappropriate! You also need to stay quiet. That means you can't yell out, "Hey, I'm over here!", from behind your pillar and then take the Hide action. The circumstance of you making noise is not appropriate for hiding, because it gives away your location.

If the floor is dusty, and you make tracks as you move behind the pillar, you need to try to cover your tracks, because a trail of footprints leading to your location is a circumstance that is inappropriate for hiding. That's because it tells everyone where you are.

So that's at least three circumstances in which hiding is inappropriate, but those are just examples. What they all have in common is that under such circumstances your location is known. That's what makes them inappropriate. The DM is charged with determining whether other circumstances are appropriate or not.

I agree. But the issue here seems to be that the common English definition of hide is imprecise. It's clear to me (and it seems you would agree) from the context given by the rules, that when you hide, you are hiding your location in the same way you would hide your emotions, by keeping your location secret and unknown. If it is already known, that is an inappropriate circumstance.

I can understand if you are not going to reply given the reply-storm the thread has become.

i am not missing the implication of known location. i have repeated times and again that hiding is not some sort of trick that automatically makes everyone else in the world forget.

What i challenge in the interpretation are some points that, as you said, reach one critical point: Known location. Be it the fact that location is actually "known" and not "implied" and ending with knowledge of location as requirement, with other views in the middle.

A breakdown:

1) First is actual reading of "you can't hide if bla bla". The claim is that the meaning is just that. Taken at face value. This brings us to point number 2.

2) To be able to hide you need to make yourself somehow unable to be seen clearly. Cover, (Heavy) Obscurement, Invisibility are all good options - as are some special exceptions via abilities feats and whatnot. This is a prerequisite, not something that is part of the act of hiding.

3) Hiding does not require your position to be unknown. This ties to point 4, so please keep on reading before making a judgement. Nowhere in the rules for hiding there's an explicit requirement for hiding to have the position unknown. I said explicitly, mind you.

4) There are several places in the PHB where are specified interactions between circumstances/actions and hiding: what we have in the rules are "dos" and "donts" that are scattered around and that differ in wording and outcome between "your position becomes known", "requirements for hiding/moving around "stealthly" and "reasons why you are no longer hidden".
  • There's in the movement section of the PHB the requirement for moving "stealthly": Do not stay in the open and travel at a slow pace. ( @seeb i reckon you said something different on one of your posts)
  • In unseen attacker and targets we have that if you are hidden your location is given away when an attack hits or misses.
  • We have in the Hiding section that we know you give away your position if you make some noise (of a sufficient level, like shouting or knocking down a vase)
  • We know that you are no longer hiding if you are discovered or if you stop hiding. (hiding section)
  • We know that to stay hidden you have to stay quiet. (hiding section)
  • We know that you can still leave traces -duh, but specified for invisible people -
  • We know that when you hide you can be noticed if you do not roll over passive perception.
  • At start of combat, you can be perceived as a threat.

5) "Hidden" is described as "unseen and unheard" in the PHB. Hiding "makes you" hidden.

--
On this reading we have this cases that allows you to hide: You are not clearly seen. Not being "clearly seen" includes "not being seen at all"
On this reading we have this cases of when you are no longer hiding: You are discovered, you stop hiding, you are no longer quiet.

We have one clear case of "no longer hidden" - you stop hiding.

We have another case of "no longer hidden" - you stop caring of being quiet.

The remaining is a simple "you are discovered". Which might or might not include "your position is known", since once again is not directly stated, but it surely covers the "you are seen" case.

So, for sure we have 3 causes: Sounds that are not quiet-level, clear sight and will from the hidden person.

Before the main issue (position = known... i know, spoilers :p) let's tackle another anomaly... You are noticed.

This means that, somehow, the noticing person is aware of presence. We do not know the extent, but we know for sure that is enough to prevent surprise rounds. We do not know how, and DM adjudication establish what goes wrong. It might be a guard hearing a tingle from the money in the pouch: "what was that?" if it's impossible for the guard to see the person hiding. This would probably end up with search checks and prehaps a "guess it was nothing" if those searches are unfruitful.
It might be an arrow bulging out from a bush, prompting a charge at said leavy coverage and subsequent discovery of an armed elf.
It might entail EVERY situation.
In short: not helping.

Position, on the other hand, as read means... position. If there are reasons for the person hiding to still not be heard and seen, then the position must be the only thing known, as "hidden = unseen and unheard".
A sniper shooting from afar and from the shadows is a perfect example: Too far for the twang to be heard, too dark to be clearly seen. Still hidden. But the recieving end of the attack knows the direction of the attack and has an idea from where such attack is coming from. How? In the same way as what motions you do/words you say while casting Magic Missile. DM adjudication.

It means that the having the position is not a reason alone to break hiding.

Then: If it's not a sufficient reason to break hiding, and it's not a reason to impede hiding... why make it so?

There are TONS of rules and examples of spells, actions and whatnot requiring SIGHT, not just any sense. Why should something whose requirement is explicit in mentioning direct sight require something else?

Doubly so, why pointing on something that is not a requirement as the reason for denying when denying is a DM right just because the very rule requires adjudication every single time? You said it so... DM adjudication is the reason. Not because the rules say so.

Explaining "why" that decision at the player is going to be difficult, however, since the ones being sure of location are only the humans at the table and the one behind the pillar. The characters are NOT sure. They can think that there's no other way, but have no proof. Discovery is what marks the end.

On your examples: Shouting has the same problem as moving behind the pillar: Having the position unknown is not a requirement. Hiding is a way to make your position unknown, being able to hide when your position is unknown is a corollary.Having it the other way also destroys the idea of sequence of actions. It prevents possible fun interactions (i shout behind the pillar, cast something, hide, trigger a previously placed magic mouth on the other side of the hallway. i know, specific. The point is it would be infeasible. You would need to admit that the situation could call for a reality check on what the onlooker actually know and what they think they know - something the master should always apply.)

On the dust: I'm not trying to hide going to the pillar. I'm hiding BEHIND the pillar. Order of actions. Btw, not Actions, like in combat ones. Just actions, things you do. It does not matter how i reach the point where i hide for determining if i'm hidden or not. It is helpful to remain hidden. To not give away my location. And again, no one is saying that if there's no way of escape this is a smart move. It's simply possible, as much as is for a fighter to chose and stab himself with a branch. The consequence is that you are unseen and unheard... and still neck deep in sheep.

If this wasn't true than no "misleading footsteps" situation would EVER work.

And yes. You say inappropriate. Not impossible. That is the whole point.

And i'm fine with: It's how it's adjudicated. I just do not agree.
Problem lays in confusing adjudication with RAW and RAI, while also bringing in twitter in the discussion while said tweets bring nothing to the table. All without providing full citations of the matter and trying to pass something as "clear" or "logical" with nothing but questionable reasoning.

And to add: If the person behind the pillar thinks he can hide, he'll try. He might be non the wiser of someone following him while hidden. You SHOULD let him roll, even if it's impossible, as much as you should let roll the attack of someone guessing a location incorrectly and then announcing the result as a miss. It's due to how people perceive the world, their knowledge of it. Their point of view. The other job of a DM is describing what is happening in a way that let the players choose what is best with informations they have availlable. Being permissive usually end up with more unexpected questions. Silly usually, but that is how you really have fun, memorable moments.

Ok but were talking rules jargon here, not what hiding in reality means.

The 5E PHB expressly was written to stray away from rules jargon, and to use plain English language wherever possible.

And we are talking about what hiding in reality really means. We are straying from 'rules jargon' and into plain english. Hence why the same paragraph 'you cant hide when being watched' also carries the sentence 'the DM decides when you can hide'.

In other words the rules are not 'you must [move X squares] and [take Y action] on [your turn] to hide'. The 'rules' are 'You cant hide when a creature is observing you, and your DM has the call on when you can hide or not'

Sorry to break your bubble but D&D rules don't always mimic reality very well. I know its gamist, but the rules allow you to tro to hide even if you were seen becoming heavily obscured, invisible or otherwise unseen, this without the need to expressely moving thereafter.

No, you're just interpreting a paragraph of text in a gamist fashion. If thats the interpretation and playstyle that works for you (break LOS and mash the 'Hide action' button) then go nuts. It does have the advantage of being black and white in application, even if it does lead to absolutely absurd results.

The 'rule' is also written in a manner that supports a normal, common sense, plain english simulationist interpretation. The one I prefer. An interpretation of (If a creature sees you go into hiding, you cant hide from that creature). Its less black and white that the gamist interpretation, and requires more DM judgement on when a creature can be considered 'hidden' or not, but it avoids absurdities like 'Jack in the Box' rogue, or being 'hidden but not really hidden' in addition to giving meaning to what the Hide action represents.

One thing that others have asked, but I don't think you have answered: after the NPC steps into the 50x50 darkened area do you require him to move (further) either as a prerequisite to or as part of the Hide action?

No. There is no rule of 'move X' distance after concealing your location with 'X' being the switch that allows the Hide action. Its a question of common sense and citrcumstances, not a formulaic rules question.

If the circumstances are such that I the DM decide it is possible for the creature seeking to hide to be able to make his location or presence sufficiently unknown or imprecise (become hidden) then that is all it requires. (Remember the paragraph in the rules we are discussing here also states 'The DM decides when you can hide'). If a creature is watching you go into hiding, this generally ruins the hide attempt. If it's feasable that you can make your position unknown despite being seen trying (you're ducking down into a large field of long grass, or you're backing off into a large magically darkened room) then you can attempt to hide notwithstanding this.

Its not rocket science. Just common sense.

In my experience, a person is “hidden” in common parlance when the hider has tried to conceal themselves and has successfully prevented potential observers from sensing them.

And how are you doing that (prevented me from sensing you) inside your box I saw you climb into? I sense you are in the box just fine, as I saw you go in it and close the lid.

And why do you have to wait until the lid is closed to do it?

That’s it. You’re adding in a third requirement that observers must also lack knowledge of the hider’s location. That additional requirement seems entirely superfluous and is not in keeping with how I understand the plain-English meaning of the concept.

No mate, thats what hidden means in this context. If I know where you are with sufficient precision (and are objectively correct in that knowledge) you are not hidden from me.

Hidden is not just a quality of the person hiding, its also a statement of the state of mind of the observer.

Considering the hiding-in-a-box example, if a person climbs into a box and closes it, and then successfully remains still so as not to jostle the box and quiets their breathing to inaudible levels, then under the plain-English meaning of the term, they are indeed hidden from any observers, even those who know where the hider is.

No, the person in the box is not hidden from the observer. The observer knows where they are (and is objectively correct in that knowledge) regardless of what the person does after climining into the box. The presence and location of the person in the box is known and (objectively) correct.

Contrast with their friend who left the room containing the observer, the box and the person in it, ceased being observed, moved down a hallway quietly, into one of four bedrooms of the house, and quietly crawled under a bed to hide.

Assuming this is a game of hide and seek, relative to 'the Seeker' (our observer in the room containing the box) - which of the two is hidden?

Who does he have to actively search for?

LOL!!!! Say that to Copperfield. Get in the box 100' from you. 6 seconds later a gentle tap on your shoulder from him. And you are not in combat! Imagine in combat what a trickster like him could do...

You mean a box with a hidden trapdoor? Already discussed. Of course you can hide using a secret trapdoor in a box. You can (using the trapdoor) make your position sufficiently unknown by moving elsewhere while not being watched and attempt the Hide action.

In fact, thats what makes the trick a trick.

If Flamestrike wants to rule it as RAW and not as logic (which should also be the RAI) dictacte, it's fine by me.

Im arguing the exact opposite. That the common sense interpretation trumps the 'break LOS/ mash the hide button/ strip object permanence' interpretation.

If you want to interpret the rules as 'break LOS/ mash the Hide button' of course, go nuts.

On this topic, IMO the rule (and all subsequent rulings) have intentionally been written to support both a gamist and a simulationist interpretation in an effort to appease both gamists and simulationists.

If you prefer 'break LOS/ mash hide button' jack in the box rogues via the gamist interpretation, go nuts. If you prefer a more simualtionist interpretation, the rules supprt that as well.

This all started with my pointing out to the OP that the gamist interpretation he is currently using ('Break LOS/ mash the hide button/ stip object permanance from all observers') is not the only interpretation out there, and that he could use a different simulationist interpretation to ameliorate many of the problems he is having in his game.

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
And how are you doing that (prevented me from sensing you) inside your box I saw you climb into? I sense you are in the box just fine, as I saw you go in it and close the lid.

Inside the box you cannot see me. If I'm not moving, you cannot see the box move with my motions. If I breathe quietly enough and avoid making any other noise, you cannot hear me. I highly doubt you can smell or taste me. If you cannot notice me with any of your senses, then by definition you cannot sense me.

And why do you have to wait until the lid is closed to do it?

Until the lid is closed you can sense me with vision. I could surely try to enter the box quietly, but until I'm also unseen inside the box being unheard doesn't do me any good, so there's no point in trying to be quiet until then.

No mate, thats what hidden means in this context. If I know where you are with sufficient precision (and are objectively correct in that knowledge) you are not hidden from me.

That's what hiding means in your idea of plain English and common sense. It is most assuredly not what hiding means in my idea of plain English and common sense. Your idea of common sense is not privileged over mine.

That we disagree on what plain English and common sense entail should be pretty good evidence that the question cannot be resolved via reliance on plain English and common sense.

Remove ads