D&D 5E DM purposely gimping my Warlock

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I haven't played yet, but reading about a lot of experiences of people who have, short rests really only happen 2 or 3 times a day. By RAW, it's quite possible for you to go two, three, or even five encounters between rests. Your warlock isn't gimped as you so melodramatically put it. Many people are playing warlocks quite effectively and having a lot of fun playing under the same conditions that you are. Warlocks aren't about spells. They're about cantrips and evocations. The spells are just an added bonus. If you really want to be tossing spells around, call yourself a fiendish warlock, but play a fire dragon sorcerer.

I do agree that all house rules should be spelled out before a game begins though. There's nothing more frustrating to me than not having consistent rules. If the DM has to call something on the fly and changes later after brushing up on the rules, that's cool. But when they change things every other week for whatever reason it is very frustrating to me. Especially if it affects my character.

The hard cap of two is a little odd especially with the eight hour limit between rests. I would probably go with just a flat eight hours between rests. That way if you're in one of those tense all night situations you may end up with three or even four short rests before you get back to town or make camp. It's just a more gritty style of game. Not everyone's cup of tea, but there's nothing wrong with it at all.

Astrosicebear

First Post
This. Warlocks are balanced with few slots to use for spells, given all the other tools in their toolbox: cantrips, invocations, blade or familiar, etc. Playing 4e-style, with essentially free short rests, would significantly increase the warlock's capability. Spells are meant to provide a dash of magical flavor, an occasional burst of damage or versatility, not be a warlock's bread and butter.

Short rests are built into the core game and are RAW... you are basically saying the system isn't balanced out of the book. I disagree with you on that.

Astrosicebear

First Post
I made it pretty clear that this was not going to be for everyone and that it was going to be a hard campaign....

That sentence right there... BAD DM. Especially combined with his "you used the word gimped you must be a power gamer" type of attitude.

As I said before, Bad DMs restrict and pro-act... cant cast this spell, monks are broken i dont allow them, druids cant wildshape, i dont like to figure out summons, etc.

There are innumerable ways to play a dark and gritty game, even in Ravenloft without any restrictions to make it feel "gritty". I've played the thing twice. One with a DM like this and one with a good DM. The first experience was painful beyond belief but I learned alot as a DM. The second was absolutely fantastic and one of the best campaigns of my life. And I learned even more.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Read his completely jacked response to my concerns here:

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1258824/house-rules/#post-1259493

OK now that you have posted his response - his response sounds pretty calm and reasonable, and you sound very aggressive in that thread. You exaggerate greatly the impact of this house rule on your character (how many short rests did you think you get in the game even without this rule? Let me tell you, after a year and a half playing it, it's roughly 2-3 per day anyway). Yes, the rule impacts Warlocks in a meaningful way, but by constantly pretending it makes your Warlock 99% less effective does not help your cause. Plus, if you had any hope of persuading your DM to change his mind, you blew it right away by being so aggressive and adversarial in tone. You immediately made him defensive, though he tried to continue to be polite while you increased your angry tone.

I'd find another game. You guys are not going to get along, that is obvious at this point, it's time to move on.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Short rests are built into the core game and are RAW... you are basically saying the system isn't balanced out of the book.

No he's not. He said short rests are not free, and not like they were in 4e. Both statements are correct. They are an hour long and so not like 4e, and this version of the game encourages a lot more wandering monsters and so the short rests are not as freely granted as people may expect.

Astrosicebear

First Post
No he's not. He said short rests are not free, and not like they were in 4e. Both statements are correct. They are an hour long and so not like 4e, and this version of the game encourages a lot more wandering monsters and so the short rests are not as freely granted as people may expect.

I dont think the OP ever stated he expected 'free' short rests. Just the ability to use them normally (instead of with the DM limitation).

There is no reasonable reason, in my opinion, to limit short rests to a number of times a day. Monsters can be smart, there can be patrols. But if the PCs want to take their time and rest often, so be it. A good DM will adapt if it becomes an issue. What happens when they get spells like rope trick or Tiny Hut? Will wandering monsters start being able to dispel magic at will?

The arbitrary limitation on short rests, as well as all the other restrictions this DM imposes is more akin to Hackmaster, DM vs Players. The post the OP shared corroborates this. I felt the OP was reasonable and the DM was very unreasonable in that exchange. Not once did the DM acknowledge the OP's backstory, or try to assist the player with valid suggestions. Moreso he cut him down and berated his 'playstyle' while trying to defend his 'dm style'.

Again to OP. Run. You wont miss this game. Even that other guy saw the writing on the wall.

Zaran

Adventurer
The Hit Die house rule is the worst. Just because it's old school doesn't mean it's not silly. There is no reason for a 10th level fighter to not be at full power for 10 days when a first level fighter can do it in one. If he wants to limit resources from a full rest he should make it so you ONLY get Hit dice back and any lost hit points you have need to be gained through spending those hit dice (or magical healing). On the short rests, I don't think my group has done more than one short rest in a day. They are generally afraid to do rest for an hour during times they need it. Good luck finding places to rest in the Castle.

And while it did seem like your post was a bit aggressive I don't really see why you haven't just pulled out of the group. It seems like you and the GM have clashing personalities and you aren't going to have much fun.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I haven't played yet, but reading about a lot of experiences of people who have, short rests really only happen 2 or 3 times a day. By RAW, it's quite possible for you to go two, three, or even five encounters between rests. Your warlock isn't gimped as you so melodramatically put it. Many people are playing warlocks quite effectively and having a lot of fun playing under the same conditions that you are. Warlocks aren't about spells. They're about cantrips and evocations. The spells are just an added bonus. If you really want to be tossing spells around, call yourself a fiendish warlock, but play a fire dragon sorcerer.

I do agree that all house rules should be spelled out before a game begins though. There's nothing more frustrating to me than not having consistent rules. If the DM has to call something on the fly and changes later after brushing up on the rules, that's cool. But when they change things every other week for whatever reason it is very frustrating to me. Especially if it affects my character.

The hard cap of two is a little odd especially with the eight hour limit between rests. I would probably go with just a flat eight hours between rests. That way if you're in one of those tense all night situations you may end up with three or even four short rests before you get back to town or make camp. It's just a more gritty style of game. Not everyone's cup of tea, but there's nothing wrong with it at all.

Bolded for emphasis. This is 100% correct.

Astrosicebear

First Post
Bolded for emphasis. This is 100% correct.

What if the OP was playing a fighter? What would the reaction be then to a DM who said you start off naked. Oh and you only get 1 hit die back per long rest. And your primary abilities like action surge or second wind are fine, but since I am limiting short rests, you wont be able to use them often.

Remove ads