• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM questions that make you go "Uh oh"

ChaosShard

Explorer
"The <wilderness area> is silent."

"What do you folks have in your hands right this second?"

"Who's holding the light source?"

"The horses are nervous."

"Hmm... I'm a few 12-siders shy here..."

"Are you wearing your tabard with your holy symbol on it?"

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
"You're really going to grapple the vampire?"

I did that once. In an antimagic field so the paralyzation on my rogue would go away; I had the paladin throw me in there so (a) I could do something other than get eaten and die and (b) so the paladin could fix himself and hopefully stake the leech that I was grappling. Worked fairly well, too, but it was *serious* desperation gaming.

The DM asked if I wanted my Force Point then or later.

Brad

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
The main one my DMs like to say is "How many hit points did you have?"

Though "Does (some absurdly high number) hit (your lowest defense)?" Because they know it does, they just want to have fun seeing you squirm.

Brad

Mad Mac

First Post
The DM suddenly taking interest in your character is usually a bad sign. "Hey, what's Brisbane Breadcleaver's Fort defense again? He's not immune to poison or, say, demonic soul plague, right?"

Trying not to chuckle too loudly behind the DM screen is also a good tipoff.

Anytime the DM either activates slow-motion on your character or suddenly zooms forward.

"Ok, show me exactly how you touch the Orc statue, using these dolls."

vs

"So you decide to talk with the Succubus, er princess? While you are around the corner making out..."

On a related note, accidental verbal slips from the DM are often the best way to unravel a difficult mystery.

"Your insight check is 15? You find nothing suspicious about the cannibal...Father John. You feel that good priest Father John is a wonderful person."

MarauderX

Explorer
After the cleric & torch is doused by water: "Who else is carrying light sources?"

"Do you have enough rope to attempt 'fishing' with the halfling as bait?"

"Which area will you try to consecrate first?"

"How many phylacteries do you take?"

"Would you like to wake up the Tarrasque while standing in or out of it's mouth?"

"How long would you like to stalk the elven princess?"

"While shooting arrows from the shoulders of the giant air-walking ape, how are you holding on? Do you quickdraw a saddle from that bag of holding?"

"How, as a tall lion man whom no one has ever seen the likes of before, like to look inconspicuous in a crowd of... 6? Would you like to shave your mane? (followed by is that cat-folk(Litorian) cross-dressing?)"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not so much a question as a sequence of events...

dice roll...

*giggle*smirk*...glance at each player at the table...*giggle*smirk*grin*snort*giggle*

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads