DMs, Do you allow your group(s) to play Evil PCs and/or parties, & why?

DMs, Do you allow your group(s) to play Evil PCs and/or parties, & why?

• Yes - any alignment from the PHB is fair game.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • No - Only goodly aligned PCs are allowed.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Shades of grey - Only goodly aligned & Neutral PCs are allowed

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • Pitch Black - Only evil PCs are allowed.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I don't use "Alignment" in my game

Votes: 9 7.9%

In games that I am running, the alignments of the player characters are typically something that the game group discusses as a whole. The game belongs to the other players as much as to the DM, so it is not really on the DM to "allow" the players anything.

In games where I am a player, I typically write "N" in the alignment spot, and then I act as I darn well please. Often my characters motivations are tied in to whatever the relationship is with one or more of the other player characters.

RedSiegfried

First Post
The game belongs to the other players as much as to the DM, so it is not really on the DM to "allow" the players anything.
Especially in the context of PC behavior ... QFT. If there is going to be any "allowing" or "disallowing," in games I organize and/or referee, it's really a decision the group has to make as a whole - a consensus is reached somehow.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
TPK is probably the wrong word - I should have said - end of campaign. edit: nothing worse than intra-party fighting. Been there, done that, doesnt end well (at all!)
Sometimes the internal fights and bickering lead to the best stories afterwards. One story from years ago revolves around a very valuable magic longsword - +2, full Heal 1/day - that came into the party with a character who had himself stolen it (part of his backstory); when that character died my character stole it from the party (it never got plowed into treasury when he died, everyone else forgot about it, and having picked it up when he died I just walked off with it once we were back in town), and it went on to be stolen about 6 more times - every time by one PC from another - over the course of about 5 real-world years. One of the thieves actually worked with the DM to design a small adventure where if successful the sword's previous owner could get it back!

The main thing is to keep it all in character.

Lan-"my sword!"-efan

DM Howard

Explorer
Especially in the context of PC behavior ... QFT. If there is going to be any "allowing" or "disallowing," in games I organize and/or referee, it's really a decision the group has to make as a whole - a consensus is reached somehow.

QFT your QFT. :)

It's definitely something that I try to talk about in session zero where we establish campaign expectations.

Remove ads