DMs how do you keep your NPCs/Creatures organized

Hello Again,

As a statblock sidenote:

The following is a link to the new Paizo statblock format which I have to say is an even neater refinement to the DMGII standard.

http://paizo.com/image/product/secondary/Modules/Crown-ot-Kobold-King-P_17.jpg

It's pretty much a case of:

- Name & Initial Encounter Information (similar to DMGII)
- Defense (with AC and HD breakdown)
- Offense (aggressively streamlined)
- Tactics (during combat & morale information)
- Statistics (this includes all the stuff stripped out of the above sections as well as the usual abilities scores/feats/skills/etc.)

I think this format will be even easier/better to use out of the book. I'm not too sure it's going to see a reduction in page real estate but it looks good never-the-less.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Erywin

First Post
Really like the Piazo stuff, especially the break down for HD and AC :) Think I have just fallen in love :D Thanks Herremann.

Cheers,
E

Edit: Just had an awesome idea, you can add Hyperlinks in Onenote. Going to Hyperlink Spells into the stat blocks!!! :D

Erywin

First Post
frankthedm said:
I have a thread for advanced monsters. Otherwise I don't keep them organized.

*Yoink* Thanks for those advanced monsters, definately a must use or two in there for me :D

Cheers,
E

A lot depends on the NPC and their importance.

A merchant- I wing it

A bad guy thug- wing it

Main bad guy- do a stat block type entry on the computer that I save and print a copy out for use.

Mega Plot bad guy- PC sheet He/She /It deserves the respect.

Erywin

First Post
megamania said:
A lot depends on the NPC and their importance.

A merchant- I wing it

A bad guy thug- wing it

Main bad guy- do a stat block type entry on the computer that I save and print a copy out for use.

Mega Plot bad guy- PC sheet He/She /It deserves the respect.

Yeah basically the same here, I am mainly organizing the Main bad guys, Mega Plot bad guys and thier noteworthy minions, plus a few friendly NPCs. Thing is tho, the current party is basically fighting all the evil/bad things in Eberron under the sun and everywhere else for that matter... So there are ALOT of bad guys... I am easily at 15 Main villians so far, with alot of noteable underlings. I tend to run my campaign as a tapestry or a mosiac with alot of threads/tiles all woven together to create a masterpiece :heh: Atleast thats the plan. I have gotten soo complex/expanded that I NEED a system to keep all the thoughts/plot lines organized :) Really enjoying it tho, especially seeing as this is my first major campaign I have ever run. Been a player for many years, just never thought I had the stuff to be a DM, guess I was wrong :D

Cheers,
E

Erywin

First Post
Thanks to Herreman's advice I have started to use the Piazo statblock, this is one of my barbarian inspired by the High AC Barbarian thread. Blarg and I are currently building 5th level character to throw against each other in duels or arena battles. How does the usage of the statblock look to you? Any thoughts on improvements?

Cheers,
E

-------------------------------

Male dwarf barbarian 3/fighter 2
CN Medium humanoid (dwarf)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60ft.; Listen +1, Spot +1

AC 24 (26), touch 14 (16), flat-footed 21 (23)
(+3 dex, +6 BP+1, +3 HSS +1, +1 shield spec., +1 ring of prot +1) (+2 whirling frenzy)
hp 53 (3d12 +2d10 +15)
Fort +10, Ref +8 (+10), Will +3
(+2 vs. poisons, +2 vs. spells and spell-like)
Defenses +4 vs bullrush and trip on solid ground

Spd 30 ft.
Melee +1 dwarven waraxe +9 (1d10+5)
Melee +1 dwarven waraxe +11 (1d10+7)
Melee +1 dwarven waraxe +9/+9 (1d10+7)
Ranged (2)throwing axe +9 (1d6+3)
Other +1 vs goblinoids, +1 dmg when under half hit points

Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 8
Base Atk +5; Grp +8
Feats Shield Specialization (Heavy Steel Shield), Power Attack, WF (Dwarven weapons), WS (Dwarven Waraxe)
Skills (-6 ACP) Climb +5, Jump +5, Intimidate +7
Gear +1 breastplate, +1 heavy steel shield, cloak of resistance +1, ring of protection +1, brute gauntlets (MIC 83), 3 CLW potions, lesser Rubicund Frenzy Crystal

Voadam

Legend
Erywin said:
Well, I have been working at organizing my Eberron Campaign with MSOnenote and a few other programs. I have moved away from running pre-made adventures into a more free-form model. I am really enjoying the flexibility it gives and how creative I can get with it. Guess you could say that the relations of my NPCs can resemble a mosiac, ala Sailing to Saratium. To keep everything in order I have created pages for each of the NPCs my players have encoutered, one these pages I would love to have thier stat blocks.

Here is the question, DMs how do you keep your NPCs? Are they all on uniform stat blocks, written on scrap pieces of paper, all digital, etc? My NPCs have been all over the place and I am looking for some suggestions on how to bring a little less chaos to them :) I like the new stat block that WotC has come out with, does anybody have a template that I can build off of?

Cheers,
E

Most have no stats until I plan on them doing something like combat with a PC. I created a monster thread for my games for combat stat blocks in which I use stat blocks, often copied from a source like the srd directly, copied and modified, or created from scratch by me.

Remove ads