DMs how do you keep your NPCs/Creatures organized

Herremann the Wise said:
The following is a link to the new Paizo statblock format which I have to say is an even neater refinement to the DMGII standard.

http://paizo.com/image/product/secondary/Modules/Crown-ot-Kobold-King-P_17.jpg
Has that block seen print in the magazines? (Haven't opened the latest Dungeon yet.) I hate the "new" stat block but this refinement might change my mind.

I have a word doc with a complicated table layout that has boxes for all the stuff in the old stat block format. Whenever I have a meaningful foe, I use it either printed and penciled in by hand or on the computer and type the values into the table. The sheet holds 3 of these block and they are setup so you can run the encounter right on them. I may switch it up to be more like the Paizo block in the future.

gizmo33

First Post
Erywin said:
Here is the question, DMs how do you keep your NPCs? Are they all on uniform stat blocks, written on scrap pieces of paper, all digital, etc?

Anyone who is conversant in relational databases would already know that they are the commonly employed technical solution to this problem. People get by with spreadsheets and such - the way I can use a screwdriver and a hammer to pry open a can of green beans if I have to. Then again, most people don't know anything about databases, so while they are a great tool, it's not a solution that's available to most people.

If I have to wing it, the maximum flexibility I can get is to have my laptop with me at the game session. The downside to that is that the computer screen only has so much space. Another technique to use is to only re-use certain game elements - don't spend precious time looking up the stats for a merchant that you've used before if you don't need to. Make up an NPC name on the fly instead and ballpark the stats as needed. While it's interesting to have reoccuring NPCs, IMO it's not always worth the time if the NPC is just going to play a minimal role in the adventure.

Boss

First Post
For my game, I have a glossary of NPC's on Word format, sorted by name and location. This consists of nothing more than some typed notes about who they are and what they do or did. Then I have an Access database with all of their stats if they are of enough relevance to need stats (noted in glossary).

And yes, I think I will have to steal that Paizo format as well... the main thing I like are the tactics section... something I have not considered putting into a stat block before.

Erywin

First Post
Well I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for their suggestions :D I have been using the Paizo statblock and have converted Blarg over as well :D So much so that he is going to start using it for his PC in my campaign, while keeping a full character sheet for leveling purposes. I have also been using OneNote heavily to keep track of all my plot lines and characters.

Thanks again,
E

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
I also use the index card system... although, with a twist:
I cross reference them in a series of notebooks that I have for that purpose. The index card tells the NPC's name, and level, and all of the basic info that I need to decide on whether to consider them or not. Then, I have a notebook for each type (fighter and subs, priests and subs, etc) with a full character sheet and history for each character, describing the character, setting, and everything else I would need to know to write a novel about the character.
When I need an NPC, I simply do the card catelogue, and notebook shuffle.

messy

Explorer
allo

i have an excel file with summaries of major npcs, including character level, current location, and personality traits. also, major npcs each get their own word document with their description, picture, and stat block.

messy :cool:

Remove ads