D&D (2024) DM's no longer getting crits on PC's

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It looks like they want to get rid of big swings on both sides, since it appears that Rogues and Paladins won't get huge crits anymore.

And since monsters are not designed anything like players, their crits hurt more. My go to example is the giant ape's 7d6 rock throw. My Sorcerer polymorphed himself into one once, and the DM was gobsmacked when I rolled a 20 to hit.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
And since monsters are not designed anything like players, their crits hurt more. My go to example is the giant ape's 7d6 rock throw. My Sorcerer polymorphed himself into one once, and the DM was gobsmacked when I rolled a 20 to hit.
Yeah, I think this is partly where it’s coming from. Killing the monster crit allows the base damage to be ramped up so they provide a more consistent experience in a combat encounter without big spikes that undermine the math for the CR ratings.
I did quite a number on a PC with a wraith crit (8d6) that, thanks to missing the save, also took the same amount off his max hit points. It was kind of exciting.

MGibster

Legend
How do you all feel about the proposed change to crits affecting the PC's?
I know my players and I will not be following that bit of advice but I was curious about how everyone else feels about this.
Crits are fun. They're fun when the PCs score them and it's fun when the bad guys score them. Is there some movement to get rid of crits against PCs? 5th edition is already very survivable, next thing you know creatures and NPCs will be armed with nerf weapons. Enemy wizards will yell, "Fireball! Fireball! Fireball!" and throw tennis balls wrapped in colorful socks at the PCs. Weak sauce indeed.

Reynard

Legend
Crits are fun. They're fun when the PCs score them and it's fun when the bad guys score them. Is there some movement to get rid of crits against PCs? 5th edition is already very survivable, next thing you know creatures and NPCs will be armed with nerf weapons. Enemy wizards will yell, "Fireball! Fireball! Fireball!" and throw tennis balls wrapped in colorful socks at the PCs. Weak sauce indeed.
I don't think it is about "easy" so much as it is about "predictable" from the GMs perspective.

D1Tremere

Adventurer
Crits from the monsters interfere with cooperative story telling. If a player overcomes great adversity to achieve their story arc, the last thing they generally want is to die to a few lucky/unlucky rolls. This is especially true when you consider that monsters often outnumber the PCs, allowing them not only more actions but more crit chances. This often leads to DMs having to fudge damage or hit results.
To me this means that the default rules should be more on the controlled side, knowing that experienced players will use whatever rule they prefer at that point and for their group.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It's not just monster crits, spell crits too.
As much fun as I’ve had critting with the occasional scorching ray or fire bolt, I’m not too fussed about losing spell crits. If they stay in the realm of actual weapons, not attack-rolling spells, that’s one way to give martial characters something spellcasters don’t get as often (barring them using an actual weapon).

Remove ads