• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) DM's no longer getting crits on PC's

OB1

Jedi Master
Why ever use a short bow or rapier tho?
This was just off the top of my head (I'm sure someone else could balance it better), but someone might use them because they provide better standard damage than other choices the PC might have, whereas another option might not provide as great standard damage (like the club) but have a great crit bonus. Also, overall, I wanted melee weapons to have better crits than ranged weapons.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
That's in the first sentence, in case you missed it. That is a statement from personal experience, how does this statement suggest otherwise?
I don't want to get in an argument about semantics but "everyone i know" is often code for "this is true." Like i said, I misread you.

Art Waring

halozix.com
I don't want to get in an argument about semantics but "everyone i know" is often code for "this is true." Like i said, I misread you.
It's cool, I don't like to argue either :)

yeah i can see how "everyone i know" can be misread, but I really mean it that every GM I know doesn't like killing lv-1 PC's, anything beyond that is just fine to some of course...

Thank you for clearing that up!

OB1

Jedi Master
Thinking more and more that monsters should get something similar to PCs on Nat20s. Let's call it Monstrous Momentum.

Monstrous Momentum
When an enemy rolls a Nat 20 on a d20 Test, they gain Monstrous Momentum. If they already have it, they can share it with another monster within 60 feet who doesn't have it and isn't incapacitated. Monstrous momentum can be spent in two ways.

Gain advantage on a d20 Test
Choose to succeed on recharging an ability recharge that they failed

With this, monsters without recharge abilities still get a chance to hit or save more often, while those with them recharge more often, And instead of a Nat20 causing an instant moment of fear for the group, it's dragged out as momentum swings in favor of the monsters.

Art Waring

halozix.com
One option I thought of would be to bring back critical confirmations for monsters:

So monsters still get crits, but they have to roll a second nat20 to confirm the crit. It allows for them to still exist while somewhat reducing their impact.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
One option I thought of would be to bring back critical confirmations for monsters:

So monsters still get crits, but they have to roll a second nat20 to confirm the crit. It allows for them to still exist while somewhat reducing their impact.
That's an infinitesimally small percentage that may as well not exist. Skipping from percentages to decimal for purposes of illustration:
Rolling a 20 is a 5% chance & 5% is 1 in 0.05 in decimal
Rolling a second would be 5% of that or 1 in 0.0025 putting it in a realm that's probably worse than the odds of winning something from a scratchoff from the gas station.

Edit:eek:ne in x is backwards but on my phone

Clint_L

Hero
Now that I've had more time with One D&D, I'm really not feeling all of the proposals. In particular, the changes to critical hits strike me as very undesirable.

1. Critical hits now just double the weapon damage. This is a nerf to everyone, but a huge nerf to paladins and rogues, in particular. Assassination rogues, especially, become basically useless - their super power would be that on a surprise attack they get to add an extra 4.5 damage, on average (assuming they are using a D8 weapon). Woohoo. That'll definitely "assassinate" their target!

2. Only players can have critical hits. Setting aside that critical hits would now kinda suck...why take them away from monsters and NPCs? The potential for a devastating critical is one of the only things keeping players honest in the, let's face it, ultra forgiving play style of 5e. And unpredictable events are fun for the story and the game. I love when an unexpected critical back foots the party and they have to react.

I don't get where these nerfs to critical hits are coming from. Critical hits are fun! The game works fine with big critical hits, so why the pressing need to nerf them? These proposed changes just seem like the fun police deciding to step in. I sure hope these nerfs don't stick around, but if they do, I ain't implementing them.

Remove ads