D&D (2024) DM's no longer getting crits on PC's

Reynard

Legend
To do that with noncombat tasks would seem to me to require narrative mechanics, which are a bridge too far for me. Would love to be proven wrong here.
I don't think so. You just need systems that create stakes and provide interesting choices no matter the task. For example, if D&D had a stress track, non combat tasks could be made just as consequential as combat.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Adventures now are all about cooking contests and doing homework for magic school. Exciting, heh?

Or we could maybe just not make whole modules about going around a big city doing mundane chores. Idk...
You're referring to exactly 1 module. That's it. One adventure that illustrated that D&D could be about more than just killing monsters and collecting treasure if that's how you want to play. Since Strixhaven was released, WOTC has released several adventures (Call of the Netherdeep, Light of Xaryxis, the entirety of Radiant Citadel, to name a few) that have gone back to the "traditional" adventures.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You're referring to exactly 1 module. That's it. One adventure that illustrated that D&D could be about more than just killing monsters and collecting treasure if that's how you want to play. Since Strixhaven was released, WOTC has released several adventures (Call of the Netherdeep, Light of Xaryxis, the entirety of Radiant Citadel, to name a few) that have gone back to the "traditional" adventures.
It might be a stretch to say that "collecting treasure" is a thing 5e is about. Sure you can do it but everything that normally grew from doing that was removed or made "optional" in ways that cause problems with growing fruit from that treasure. 😇

Reynard

Legend
It might be a stretch to say that "collecting treasure" is a thing 5e is about. Sure you can do it but everything that normally grew from doing that was removed or made "optional" in ways that cause problems with growing fruit from that treasure. 😇
D&D hasn't been "about" collecting treasure for about 40 years, ever since the Hickman Revolution. It has been about solving problems.. But it has always been about solving problems with violence, so there's that.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
To do that with noncombat tasks would seem to me to require narrative mechanics,
Not necessarily, provided you and the players can immerse yourselves into what might be intense and dramatic roleplaying through a tense situation. For example, the PCs are negotiating with the local Baron for release of some (in the PCs' eyes) unjustly-arrested locals. Violence is not an option unless the PCs are intent on committing suicide-by-guard.

Here you have a non-combat situation with high stakes. No narrative rules required. Just play it out. :)

The drawback here is, of course, that such situations are much harder to bring about than are combats.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What module is composed entirely of mundane tasks?
Any module where there's something bigger going on in town and the PCs/players completely miss it (or worse, actively ignore it) even when repeatedly clubbed upside the head with hints and clues.

Been there, DMed that. :)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
D&D hasn't been "about" collecting treasure for about 40 years, ever since the Hickman Revolution. It has been about solving problems.. But it has always been about solving problems with violence, so there's that.
No I disagree, it's both 3.x & 4e had magic item need while 4e had gold for various rituals too. not simply the collecting treasure so much as collecting treasure to use that treasure in service of other goals such as ones that count as hickman revolution type problem solving.

Remove ads