DM's Suport Group: Most Cliche Player Behaviors Ever

GameDoc

Explorer
Orphaned characters who are the lost heir to the throne, the Chosen One, the Dragon Reborn, or the destined wielder of the Ubersword Reforged. It is a great fantasy trope in a novel. In RPG play it tends to wind up either being dropped as a plot hook so you can focus on the rest of the adventure plot, or else makes that character the center of the story, with the rest of the party relegated to support staff. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

It doesn't help that WotC inlcudes this scenario in most of the articles and chapters they devote to character backgrounds. They don't go so far as to suggest a messianic destiny, but they do plenty of "born under a bad omen" or "destined to be X" type things.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I've reached the point in my GMing career -- currently running M&M -- that if a player submits a built character before submitting (and getting approval for) a character concept, I un-invite the player.

I simply couldn't be clearer about this requirement for my games, and it flabbergasts me how many players either can't grasp the concept of "concept" and/or ignore my requirement and submit a built character in some misguided belief that a filled-in character sheet somehow subsumes and supersedes a concept.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Drow. It is possible to play one that isn't a Drizz't clone, or a dominatrix bikini babe, or an aloof sadistic biatch, but so often people don't look beyond the stereotypes. Then if you do have someone playing a female drow of the non-evil variety, other players are likely to tell her how she should be disdainful to men, and order them around, because that's what female drow do. Nevermind that if she enjoyed that kind of thing, she'd still be hanging with her sister priestesses in the Underdark, and not out trying to right wrongs as an adventurer.
Ha! I almost forgot about this one! This trope is so very worn out.

I especially love (and by love, I mean white hot burning hate) how hung up players are on the concept. In my campaign world, there are no drow (at least, not as they are presented in the books). Dark Elves exist, and they do live underground for the most part, but they have nothing to do with spiders, Lolth (doesn't exist), are not inherently evil, etc. Yet players still want to play them "by the book."

I get really tired of explaining over and over again how this is not campaign appropriate. Why are people so fixated on these tired tropes? I got over this when I was 15, along with most gamers I know, but I've gamed with 30-somethings that were still hung up on it.

The Lone Stranger, aka Mr. Dark and Mysterious, aka the "I'm antisocial and uncommunicative and expect these strangers to welcome me into their party even though their characters don't know me from Adam". We had one of these try to join mid-game in a Temple of Elemental Evil run. He would not talk to us because of some vow of silence. He didn't yet have telepathy, although he was working on it IIRC, and didnt so much as write a note when we demanded that he tell us who he was. So we fought and drove him off. Worst introduction of a new PC to the group ever.
I don't mind as much a mildly anti-social character, or the occasional brooder, as long as the player remembers that they are playing a social storytelling game, and adjust accordingly. My players are all okay with this, and still find ways to integrate their social outcasts into the group. See also not being a 15-year-old "emo-kid" anymore.

Orphaned characters who are the lost heir to the throne, the Chosen One, the Dragon Reborn, or the destined wielder of the Ubersword Reforged. It is a great fantasy trope in a novel. In RPG play it tends to wind up either being dropped as a plot hook so you can focus on the rest of the adventure plot, or else makes that character the center of the story, with the rest of the party relegated to support staff. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
This is another one I don't mind, so long as the DM and other players are all on-board with this. Usually this means making sure everyone has a destiny or significant role to play in the prophecy or whatever (i.e. not just The Dragon Reborn, but the rest of the ta'veren as well). That said, I like it once in a while, and preferably as dictated by the campaign. Not in every campaign.

It can be such a DM-nightmare, and what happens if that character dies? It can really break the narrative. If that happens, you can either pack it in, find a way to write around it, or "fix things" - though doing that will destroy any sense of danger the players may have been feeling, and may well be worse than the other two options.

What's really annoying is when you go ahead and drop a plot hook like this on a character, and the player goes out of his way to screw over your campaign idea. My wife had this happen once; player was given a plot-forwarding macguffin, then, realizing this, knowingly triggers a trap that got him imprisoned (like the 2e spell). Now, 6-odd (IRL) years later, we're finally getting to un-do the damage.

invokethehojo

First Post
I've reached the point in my GMing career -- currently running M&M -- that if a player submits a built character before submitting (and getting approval for) a character concept, I un-invite the player.

I simply couldn't be clearer about this requirement for my games, and it flabbergasts me how many players either can't grasp the concept of "concept" and/or ignore my requirement and submit a built character in some misguided belief that a filled-in character sheet somehow subsumes and supersedes a concept.

I feel ya on that one. I don't know what it is, but most of the people I play with can easily recall or whip out some obscure rule or similar, proving they read the literature in depth, but when I give them a one page primer for a campaign which clearly spells out what kind characters not to make they show up with that very thing and look at me like, "wha?".

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I feel ya on that one. I don't know what it is, but most of the people I play with can easily recall or whip out some obscure rule or similar, proving they read the literature in depth, but when I give them a one page primer for a campaign which clearly spells out what kind characters not to make they show up with that very thing and look at me like, "wha?".
This must be some kind of DM karma.

I'm about to run a Viking-style campaign in the near future, and I just know I'm going to end up with 6 mages or something.

The guy that never wants to be anything but the ultra-strong fighter-type even said he wants to play a mage this time.

I've been talking about this campaign for, literally, years. I can understand if, you know, people aren't interested, but nobody has ever indicated that.

Sorry to digress, but it's been on my mind :)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I'm about to run a Viking-style campaign in the near future, and I just know I'm going to end up with 6 mages or something.
I played in a low-magic game once where the GM limited spellcasting classes to being one-in-three to other classes. In other words, if you were a spellcaster, you were gonna be multi-classing.

It worked well, but that's because the GM had a good grasp on how to balance out the (this was 3.5) major nerf of multi-classing by emphasizing the rarity and "specialness" of magic.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I played in a low-magic game once where the GM limited spellcasting classes to being one-in-three to other classes. In other words, if you were a spellcaster, you were gonna be multi-classing.

It worked well, but that's because the GM had a good grasp on how to balance out the (this was 3.5) major nerf of multi-classing by emphasizing the rarity and "specialness" of magic.
Yeah, I have similar designs on this particular game (using 4e).

[sblock=digression]Yeah, in the "primer" I have specified no psionics whatsoever, no wizards/mages or swordmages and bards will be fluffed as skalds (valourous only), artificers fluffed as runecasters, and you will have to twist my arm to play a sorcerer (storm only). Oh and most players must be human.

I plan to use inherent bonuses and boons to compensate for reduced magic item availability. That and I hate the christmas tree effect.[/sblock]

Next up: most annoying forum behaviours - the threadjacker! ;)

GameDoc

Explorer
Jeff Wilder said:

invokethehojo said:

Amen! When you're the DM, the setting is your "character." That's your contribution to the collaborative storytelling. While you shouldn't totally railroad your players or be overly restrictive, the player's ought ot respect your part of the experience. I hate it when a player can't respect the details of your setting enough to make his or her character fit.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Mr. "Hasn't Bathed This Week" or his friend Mr. "Doesn't Use Deodorant."
gnash.gif

Gilladian

Adventurer
I just HATE the "drunken scottish clansman dwarf".

WHY?

Yes, in my campaign world dwarves belong to clans. They live in what could be considered "highlands". But that's the ONLY resemblance there is. They love GOLD, not ale. They don't have a scottish accent.

In fact, they're carved from stone, they don't actually HAVE to eat or drink, and they have no gender.

Does any player anywhere EVER ask "what are dwarves like in this world?" (and for dwarves I mean "fill in the blank").

In the same vein, I remember once when I carefully told everyone that paladins, monks and gnomes do not exist in this campaign world. So my father shows up with a gnome paladin...Grrrrrrrrr!

Remove ads