DnD 3.5 no-magic setting, lvl 1

Myth and Legend

First Post
Disclaimer: This game will start around mid August, probably alongside the Deicide campaing i am prepairing now.

I've been thinking how caster classes are so much better due to there being a spell for everything in the game. And while high-magic can be fun (for the magic guys), I see a tendancy around here for people enjoying swinging swords and not bothering with cheesing up their characters.

Fortunately ML is an avid explorer of ancient and medieval warfare and weapons, and while DnD is very bad at the numbers (weapon weight, attacks etc.) it's still better than nothing.

The setting: You have three options.

1. Earth, 1096, the time of the First Crusade. I'll conveniently ignore the fact that the term Crusade has been created at the 17th Century and that Crusaders did not call themselves that IRL.

2. Earth, 270 BC. Ancient Greek cities, the rising Roman Republic, Gauls, Carthageninans, Seleucids and Egyptians.

3. Homebrew genering Fantasy.

All these will be low to NO magic. A + 3 sword will be something mighty. No insant healing apart from some applications of the Heal skill and herbs/salves. No resurrections. Gods/God do exist even in the Earth settings, as do some extraordinary people like saints, the Oracle at Delphi or the likes, They can perform some magical things. But your average shopkeeper won't have 8 Wizad levels, you woin't have Greater Teleport, and Ressurrection is only castable if you are a carpenter with Divine Ranks.

The party will be a bunch of sword swinging, bow shooting, horse riding manly-men (or women). The majority of the game will be swinging against enemy AC, figuring out how to scale walls or break in to citadels, this sort of stuff. As such, character generation:

32 point buy, max HP per level. Any non-human race or a template is subject to (un)approval especially in the first 2 settings.

Allowed books: Everything.
Allowed classes: Everything that does not cast spells, use psionics, shift Essentia or the likes.

I strongly suggest you get your hands on Complete Warrior, Complete Champion, Complete Scoundrel and the best book on melee classes for 3.5, TOME OF BATTLE. TOB classes outshine anything published elsewhere, so beware. Expect the Grandmasters of the Templars/Hospitaliers/Teutonic Knights to be nasty 16-20 lvl Crusaders with good weapons and armour, and in command of more Cruasers/Kngihts/Cavaliers.

Expect Vercingetorix to be a Fighter/Barbarian/Frenzied Berzerker who can rip your spinal cord out.

Expect the Spartan Hoplites to all be elite warriors with several full BAB classes, most of which from TOB.

As with my Deicide game, I will only accept known players (that is, known to me). We start at lvl 1 unless ya'll want to start at higher level.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Mmm, level 1. :D

Any of the listed settings would be fun, though I think I might prefer homebrew just to have a couple more fantasy elements thrown in there.

How do you feel about the non-casting variant ranger from Complete Warrior?

I'm assuming supernatural abilities of prestige classes and the like are also a no-go?

Shayuri

First Post
That sounds freaking cool.

Though many,MANY Tome of Battle manuevers are kind of supernatural in nature.

Still, I'd love to make a swordsage or something similar in this kind of a game.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Well I vote for the 270 BC setting. I've been waiting for such a game to exist for long enough now! I'll make a nasty nasty corintian Hypaspist, with a xiphos, a hoplon and a dory, along with a toxote. Doned in a spolas and with a Corintian helmet of course.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Well I vote for the 270 BC setting. I've been waiting for such a game to exist for long enough now! I'll make a nasty nasty corintian Hypaspist, with a xiphos, a hoplon and a dory, along with a toxote. Doned in a spolas and with a Corintian helmet of course.

What's all that mean in English??

ML will you be handling combat differently to represent the fact that their will be no cure spells to keep a party going from encounter to encounter.

Or incorporate healing surges into the system as like getting a boost of adrenaline to keep fighting and what not.

I'm in btw. :p

HM

Myth and Legend

First Post
Healing inside combat will not be possible unless you are a Crusader or other class that can self-heal without magic. You do get max HP per level and unlike in the VOTD and Deicide games, the NPCs will get only half HP (as is the norm for NPCs). Healing outside of combat: If we want to be truly historical one would have to sit trough several weeks or moths to heal up fully. I figured this would be too boring and would make you guys too squeamish (taking a hit from a lvl 1 Commoner could incapacitate your char for a week). As such I've considered making some NPC Priests/Druids/Midwives/Wise women/Shamen etc. that can use the Heal skill to recover HP outside of combat.

I can also house rule the Heal skill to be more effective. Say, one can recover 1 HP per attempted Heal DC instantly Wis times per day. So you have a + 8 Heal modifier and a Wis of 18 (+4). This means that 4 times per day you can apply the Heal skill as a standard action and so long as you take 10 you can safely recover 18 HP to your target (or yourself).

I also want to grant you better freedom with skills. Fighters get Jump and Swim which are useless. As such, I'm thinking of allowing anyone to take any skills up to the maximum for their class. So we can still have a face/healer/spotter etc.

Variant Ranger is fine. So are PrCs (upon approval)

(Su) and (Ex) abilites are OK to some extent. So long as the ability can be RPed off as an inner power of the spirit/martial training/natural aptitude etc. and it doesn't display as an aura/fireball/flaming eyes etc. it's fine. Anyway as i said everything is up for approval. So:

Your job is to ask for it.
My job is to approve/tweak/replace/suggest/shoot it down.

Scratched_back

First Post
This sounds fascinating, ML. I'd like to take part, definitely.

As for setting and character - let me get back to you on that. I think I would prefer option 1 or 2 over option 3, just because I've never done any historical RP before... as for what I'd play. Not sure yet.

I'm going to hit the textbooks and get back to you ;)

Question, are you going to incorporate real historic events into the storyline, or just 'borrow' the setting, so to speak?

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
If we go with option 1 or 2 would it be possible to be a non-casting "priest" of some sort of either the Christian God or a member of the Greek pantheon?

Probably still a martial character, perhaps even a non-casting paladin if you do go with the expanded skills thing, but focused on knowledge and other skills (specifically Heal). Basically, the party's resident sage/healer/scholarly sort.

Remove ads