DnD 3.5 no-magic setting, lvl 1

Theroc

First Post
Question: Are you sticking to period materials for metals and armor designs? I ask because I do not believe full plate armor such as medieval knights existed back in Ancient Greece. Wasn't that the Bronze age?

If we're deviating, which regions would be encouraging the heavier armors? Rome? Sparta?

Myth and Legend

First Post
Yes i will try to make it as accurate as possible. The best armours will be in the Greece/Macedonia/Rome regions, as well as Seleucia, Parthia and Carthage. Individual warriors and mercenaries can find things from other cultures naturally, at a price.

The best armour would be a bronze Cuirass for professional and rich Hoplite warriors, or whatever the best armour the Roman army had at the time (we are talking about the Roman Republic, thus they operate on "rich, willing Roman citizens only" policy, this is pre-Marian reforms).

So no, sorry, no platemail. Steel was known but is quite rare, although the Roman foundries have adopted a use for it already.

Since we will be lacking in items by DnD standards, i can add the use for stacking sources of armor such as Bracers, Knee guards, shoulder pads, helmets etc.

Choose your concept, class etc. and i'll help with the equipment.

Theroc

First Post
I'm guessing that a swordsage isn't a good fit, due to the Desert Wind and Shadow Hand disciplines being more overtly magical in nature. So, I'll likely be whipping up a warblade, not sure of the other specifics yet.

I am thinking a former Gladiator of Rome, perhaps a soldier who retired from the Legion, or someone who wanted to fight for the Glory of Rome but for whom the regimented tactics cramped his style.

Not sure if Warblade or Crusader will work better just yet.

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
Choose your concept, class etc. and i'll help with the equipment.

Well, as I've voiced before, savage warblade/barbarian. Probably from the Gaul region, since Greece was rather advanced. Likely wanderer, perhaps exiled from his clan/tribe.

And he's definitely intelligent. Plenty to pick up Greek, and perhaps Latin as well. But rather than studying it, it would be more of "heard it enough to figure out parts." So odds are, he'll speak in a semi-broken fashion.

Anyways, I figure Hide and Leather armors would be most likely for his protection, and he probably uses axes for his weapons.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Phylipo, a young man from Corintos, was employed several times to do the dirty job of people who could pay his services. Soon he found himself sick of that life. He had made some money, and decided to buy himself some quality weapons and leave Corintos. He wandered the cities of Greece for a couple of months, sorting out the troubles that a journeyman can find in those paths with arrows and blade.

I want a broad range of abilities with weapons, and not focused on just one. So high STR and Dex and Int for the feats.

Suggestions about class?

Theroc

First Post
Phylipo, a young man from Corintos, was employed several times to do the dirty job of people who could pay his services. Soon he found himself sick of that life. He had made some money, and decided to buy himself some quality weapons and leave Corintos. He wandered the cities of Greece for a couple of months, sorting out the troubles that a journeyman can find in those paths with arrows and blade.

I want a broad range of abilities with weapons, and not focused on just one. So high STR and Dex and Int for the feats.

Suggestions about class?

Voda, I suggest a Warblade. One of their class abilities let's you count as a Fighter for the Figther specific feats(Albeit at 2 levels lower than a fighter of the same level), as well as allowing you to spend time practicing each day to switch which weapons are affected by Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, etc...

They also value intelligence for many of their features, which is in line with your intelligent swordsman concept. I'm not positive how well they'd work with bows though.

Theroc

First Post
Np Voda.

M&L: Are Crusaders sufficiently low magic? I know you mentioned high level crusaders running around, but the Devoted Spirit path uses a lot of healing effects which you explicitly said wouldn't happen. Are Crusaders the exception?

Myth and Legend

First Post
Crusader's healing surges are fine. Most of the TOB stuff is OK so long as you can fluff it out to seem "real world" somewhat.

DW: Warblade/Barbarian from Gaul (note the Gaelic invasion of Greece nine years earlier)

[sblock=Gaul bonus]Choose between:
1) Masterwork Gretaxe
2) A Dog pet that has 6 tricks learned (per player choice)
3) Gaulish winged helm (unique): + 2 armor AC (stacks)

Unique: Gauls may choose to take the Naked Fanatic feat.

Naked Fanatic: "The Insubres and the Boii wore trousers and light cloaks, but the Gaesatae, in their love of glory and defiant spirit, had thrown off their garments and taken up their position in front of the whole army naked and wearing nothing but their arms... The appearance of these naked warriors was a terrifying spectacle, for they were all men of splendid physique and in the prime of life."

Prerequisite: Gaul starting region.

Benefit: Gain BAB as a Dodge bonus to armor as long as you are wearing no armour and clothes in combat. Also your critical threat range is increased by one for any weapons you are proficient with.

Gauls may choose one of the following feats for free: Animal Affinity, Athletic, Endurance [/sblock]

Phylipo the Corinthian

[sblock=Greece (Corinth)]Choose between:
1) Masterwork Longspear
2) Masterwork Shortsword
3) Greek Argive shield (unique): +3 Shield AC

Unique: Greek warriors may choose the Phalanx feat at any time, even if they do not qualify for the prerequisites. They also gain an additional attack bonus and AC bonus by the use of the feat, equal to 1/2 their character level (rounded down).

Phalanx: You may form a spear wall formation in combat, with allies of sufficient military training, and completely decimate the incoming enemy

Prerequisite: BAB+4, Proficient with Martial Weapons and Shields.

Benefit: When fighting alongside at least two other people who possess this feat and are equipped with a spear, longspear or sarissa and a Heavy Wooden shield or better, you may double your shield AC and gain a + 2 attack bonus whenever you perform attacks of opportunity.

Greeks (Corinth) may choose one of the following feats for free: Educated (all knowledge skills as class skills), Negotiator, Endurance [/sblock]

More when you give me more concepts :)

Last edited:

Remove ads